A word on the TWRA Whistleblower Claims

backyardtndeer

If this is true, where are the other positives?
What are you talking about?

If someone brought in cwd infected bones with meat and dumped them, it starts, just as it could start from a buzzard or predator spreading the prions. Once the prions are there in the soil, other deer pick it up and those infected deer start progressing until the point the state sees the problem and goes into their testing protocols. By then it is way too late to know exactly where it started or how many deer are infected. The first deer to contract the disease may have been in Mississippi or in Tennessee. There were likely a lot of deer infected before the first positive test, and they were likely spreading it for years before the first positive test. That's why there were so many being found at ground zero in such a short time. The disease process is not instant.

backyardtndeer

I would agree on a verified "positive".
But as to those single outlier positives, with no more at all for the next 2 yrs,
more likely lab error, i.e. false positives.

Who knows. Maybe there is limited testing being done in some of those places, especially where there had previously been NO known cases. Maybe someone brought in a deer to be tested from outside where they claimed to have killed it, way too many possibilities to begin to guess.

How long does cwd lay dormant before an animal expresses symptoms.... Everything I have read from the experts says that it is most prevalent in older aged bucks. They also don't immediately show symptoms which makes it spread that much faster. What's to say there won't be more test positive in those areas next year or even this year.

7mm08

Ya'll are beginning to sound like GLOBAL WARMING alarmist!!! Folks are loosing their minds off a theory!!

From the CDC……
The KEY WORD here is " however". Probably written by some Vegan, animal loving activist!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3664.png
    IMG_3664.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 14

DeerCamp

Who knows. Maybe there is limited testing being done in some of those places, especially where there had previously been NO known cases. Maybe someone brought in a deer to be tested from outside where they claimed to have killed it, way too many possibilities to begin to guess.

How long does cwd lay dormant before an animal expresses symptoms.... Everything I have read from the experts says that it is most prevalent in older aged bucks. They also don't immediately show symptoms which makes it spread that much faster. What's to say there won't be more test positive in those areas next year or even this year.
With respect, it sounds like you haven't looked into the testing all that much.

For example, Henry County has done over 700 tests this year. There have been nearly 2,000 tests in Henry County since that "positive". Similar though a bit lower for Carroll County.

You tell me. Did we just get super lucky and find the only CWD positive deer in those areas.

backyardtndeer

With respect, it sounds like you haven't looked into the testing all that much.

For example, Henry County has done over 700 tests this year. There have been nearly 2,000 tests in Henry County since that "positive". Similar though a bit lower for Carroll County.

You tell me. Did we just get super lucky and find the only CWD positive deer in those areas.
Links supporting this please.

Of the last ten deer on our farm that have been killed, six have been tested.

The states site is a joke, just like the app. I have looked at what little information the state is making available to us, which really isn't much. There is no data available to the public that I am aware of that shows area specific test results, nor have I seen readily available data showing the numbers you post for Henry county, Dyer, Gibson, Crockett, or the others that have had just one positive or have had positives within close enough proximity for that entire county to be in cwd zone.

7mm08

Just today, this came across my news lead as "ZOMBIE " deer disease…..,

Please!!! Go get a Covid test and worry about that, even if you are healthy. Sorry , at some point you have to call the BS hand! One dead deer in Yellowstone?

Omega

Links supporting this please.

Of the last ten deer on our farm that have been killed, six have been tested.

The states site is a joke, just like the app. I have looked at what little information the state is making available to us, which really isn't much. There is no data available to the public that I am aware of that shows area specific test results, nor have I seen readily available data showing the numbers you post for Henry county, Dyer, Gibson, Crockett, or the others that have had just one positive or have had positives within close enough proximity for that entire county to be in cwd zone.
They have PDFs that show how many positives per county, per season in the link below. Doesn't show how many tested though.

tnanh

No. If that is what I was trying to say, I would have just said it. But it is strange that it is one of the most watched and tested white tail facilities in the state and has the prevalence rate it does. Maybe it proves we need to leave stuff alone and just let nature take its course. But, something had to have happened. An elk carcass dumped after returning from out west. Who knows? I definitely don't. I also am not really pointing fingers at Ames. I hunted real close to there for a bunch of years and know how it feels to have deer test positive. How can the most regulated research facility in the State have the highest known prevalence rate ever for CWD if nothing happened there. Also, didn't mean to get an angry face from fairchaser. Folks should be able to discuss without pissing anyone off. I am not throwing any rocks.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Here's something I have thought about. If the prions can live in the soil, how do you avoid it being spread through mud/soil carried in boots or atvs?
In regards to this^
Are the affected prions throughout the body and organs of the host ?
Or are they more prevalent in the glands, nervous system and brain

Is there any information on how a prion will act in / on soil and with soil life?
Can prions be wind borne?

Do the cling to plant life or easily fall/ wash off in rain or wind?

How about microbial life? How is it affected by microbials?
De we know how likely it would be for prions to pass via mating? If so, one positive buck could infect the doe and any following mates she has..

I'm just thinking about this it seems that passive acquisition of prions from the ground is not a major component in passing the disease however
Social interaction would be primarily the force that drives it.

DeerCamp

In regards to this^
Are the affected prions throughout the body and organs of the host ?
Or are they more prevalent in the glands, nervous system and brain

Is there any information on how a prion will act in / on soil and with soil life?
Can prions be wind borne?

Do the cling to plant life or easily fall/ wash off in rain or wind?

How about microbial life? How is it affected by microbials?
De we know how likely it would be for prions to pass via mating? If so, one positive buck could infect the doe and any following mates she has..

I'm just thinking about this it seems that passive acquisition of prions from the ground is not a major component in passing the disease however
Social interaction would be primarily the force that drives it.
There's even evidence that does can pass the prions on via breastfeeding.

Latest posts