A word on the TWRA Whistleblower Claims

JJ3

I'm saying that this type of random, solitary spread over large distances DOES NOT HAPPEN IN THE WILD. That's not how diseases spread. Deer don't get on airplanes. Look at the spread in other states - it generally has been gradual and progressive.

If these were valid positives, we likely would have found others in and around them with the volume of testing (thousands of deer tested per year from these counties). But that hasn't happened.

Mississippi detected positive in a few scattered counties between Memphis and Vicksburg about the same time (not including the hot zone border counties). I believe that testing in subsequent years has not found additional positives. Similar scenario — 50 - 100 miles from next closest positives. Makes you think vultures must be a vector for spreading the prions on the landscape. It's been a couple of years since I read about those, but I believe Mississippi was performing a second confirmation test.

I had my first positive in Haywood County in November and received a call from TWRA biologist last week. She said they are using the ELISA test, and only running a second confirmation test if it is located in a new county.

MickThompson

Antler Daddy

Mississippi detected positive in a few scattered counties between Memphis and Vicksburg about the same time (not including the hot zone border counties). I believe that testing in subsequent years has not found additional positives. Similar scenario — 50 - 100 miles from next closest positives. Makes you think vultures must be a vector for spreading the prions on the landscape. It's been a couple of years since I read about those, but I believe Mississippi was performing a second confirmation test.

I had my first positive in Haywood County in November and received a call from TWRA biologist last week. She said they are using the ELISA test, and only running a second confirmation test if it is located in a new county.
Did you get the option to run the 2nd test? It's your deer once killed…not the state's property anymore!

Andy S.

That is incorrect. They ran a big test over a year or two back when Daryl was Head Biologist. That was back in the early 2000s.
Daryl was BG Coordinator 2004-2011. IIRC, early days "sampling and surveillance" was 100-300 deer tested statewide. (95 counties, 27M acres and 180k deer killed). The Agency really ramped up CWD testing around 2016 to 2k samples statewide and has increased annual sampling to date (~ 13k in 2018, ~ 13k in 2020, etc).

Smo

C8318110-D5A2-4E56-AF39-4110CD705A49.jpeg

Glands were cut from this one killed on Laurel Hill WMA back in 2019..

backyardtndeer

The outlier deer are a mystery. But you have to remember, this all probably started as a single outlier deer somewhere near Ames.
People are probably to blame for it getting here (not natural spread) and they're probably to blame for the outlier positives rather than natural spread.
Very good chance that this is true. All it would have took was one moron to bring an infected deer into what became ground zero.

Latest posts