6.5 x .300 Win Mag

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
I was in the Bass Pro complex the other week at Opry Mills in Nashville. My son has an elk rifle chambered in this caliber and Ammunition is hard to run across in my travels. I asked the young gent at the counter if they had any in stock or might have any coming and he started in on me. You know the type, they work behind the counter and know it all. He proceeded to tell me that there is no such thing as a 6.5 x .300 Win Mag caliber and customers can only purchase either 6.5 Creedmoor or .300 Win Mag ammo. I didn't say anything. Only smiled and let him finish his oratorical display of ignorance. I thanked him for his response, told him my son had killed a good number of elk with that caliber and to have a good day.

Dennis

I'm familiar with the 6.5x300 weatherby. Not familiar with 6.5x300 win mag. They are similar in performance?

I know that Bass pro doesn't carry any ammo for Weatherby cartridges.

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
Isn't Weatherby a manufacturer and .300 Win Mag a bullet size? I have no idea. I shop to help my son, the last 3 boxes i bought werre $119 per box.

We like to practice, Alot. I have no idea if we are good marksmen but we seem to get the job done on occasion. Practice and more practice is what i say. Can't have enough.

DaveTN

Isn't Weatherby a manufacturer and .300 Win Mag a bullet size? I have no idea.
Yes. .300 Weatherby Magnum and .300 Winchester Magnum are both .30 caliber rifle rounds. The 6.5 is not, it is smaller than either. (.26")

I have never heard of a 6.5 x .300 Win Mag, but there are plenty of things I've never heard of. A 6.5 that had anything to offer over a .308 is one of them. ;)

Spurhunter

I have never heard of a 6.5 x .300 Win Mag, but there are plenty of things I've never heard of. A 6.5 that had anything to offer over a .308 is one of them. ;)
Not much difference in the .308 and the 6.5cm. If you take 8 pound rifles and compare the 6.5cm with a 140 grain bullet and the .308 with a 150 grain bullet, there's not enough to argue about. The only exception is the 6.5 does it with 25% less recoil.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I was in the Bass Pro complex the other week at Opry Mills in Nashville. My son has an elk rifle chambered in this caliber and Ammunition is hard to run across in my travels. I asked the young gent at the counter if they had any in stock or might have any coming and he started in on me. You know the type, they work behind the counter and know it all. He proceeded to tell me that there is no such thing as a 6.5 x .300 Win Mag caliber and customers can only purchase either 6.5 Creedmoor or .300 Win Mag ammo. I didn't say anything. Only smiled and let him finish his oratorical display of ignorance. I thanked him for his response, told him my son had killed a good number of elk with that caliber and to have a good day.
6.5x300 Weatherby magnum. Not 6.5x300 win mag. I also would have looked at you like you were crazy, sometimes you just have to set back and let Darwinism take over. I also tried to explain to a guy that 35 Whelen wouldn't shoot in a 35 remington one time and he looked at me like I was crazy. So you probably gave him a good story to tell his buddies about the yokel trying to buy ammo that doesn't exist. I would question which side of the argument was ignorant in this case.

Latest posts