300 win mag recommendations

real3444

My son is moving to Alaska and looking for a big game rifle. He is pretty settled on something in 300 win mag. He is looking at the Savage 110 line. Kind of early in his research.

Wanted to post here to get some thoughts from those that know more than we do.

Thanks!

Red-Team-98

My son is moving to Alaska and looking for a big game rifle. He is pretty settled on something in 300 win mag. He is looking at the Savage 110 line. Kind of early in his research.

Wanted to post here to get some thoughts from those that know more than we do.

Thanks!
I live in Alaska
Bergara Ridge in 300 WM
Great Barrel and Trigger
Good Choice on Caliber for Alaska
The 300 Win Mag is very popular
ED Shilen sold his old barrel making equipment to Bergara. So that's why the Bergara is good shooter. The Army Marsmanship Team Armor Ret also aided in Bergara Rifles design and expertise.
The Ridge has heavier No 5 barrel it's light enough to carry and doesn't heat up as fast.

Last edited:

Tnshooter15

Unless you enjoy recoil don't get a light weight one. I have shot a .300 win mag in a a-bolt synthetic stock for 30 years and it's been great. The savage should be a fine rifle though.

Robtattoo

If snow & ice are any kind of consideration, Savage is possibly one of the worst choices. Closely followed by anything with a rem 700 style trigger.
Tikka, hands down, wins the ice challenge. The only issue is the short magazine length in magnums. No problem if you're feeding factory ammo, or loading to SAAMI lengths, but it doesn't give any flexibility for loading long slippery bullets.

mike243

So Savage wasn't listed in that test that I could see? for accuracy right out of the box I would buy savage, why would a pre64 mod70 even be tested?, my newer mod70 has been a great gun and tomatoe stake and would not be afraid to take it places. It would fail also, as far as the ice test they all failed

Robtattoo

So Savage wasn't listed in that test that I could see? for accuracy right out of the box I would buy savage, why would a pre64 mod70 even be tested?, my newer mod70 has been a great gun and tomatoe stake and would not be afraid to take it places. It would fail also, as far as the ice test they all failed
Read further in the thread. Form gives his opinion of Savage & Ruger.

A pre-64 was tested because everyone claims it to be the finest hunting rifle (and trigger assembly) ever built & they're much more common out west.

For clarity's sake, Form literally does this for a living. He's 100% unbiased & shoots & records more shots in a week than 99.9% of people will shoot in a lifetime. When he says a thing is just so, it's because he's tested it to death.

Remi

Read further in the thread. Form gives his opinion of Savage & Ruger.

A pre-64 was tested because everyone claims it to be the finest hunting rifle (and trigger assembly) ever built & they're much more common out west.

For clarity's sake, Form literally does this for a living. He's 100% unbiased & shoots & records more shots in a week than 99.9% of people will shoot in a lifetime. When he says a thing is just so, it's because he's tested it to death.

Form knows a thing or two because he's seen a thing or two. I always read his stuff, super informative.

rickyk280

This is a very good friend of mine, he is pretty far north in Alaska, I talked to him last night after I seen this thread and I ask him about this, he said its more about preparation of all the moving parts of your rifle than the brand. He has used a 110 savage for years with a good after market stock.

Attachments

• IMG_9139.jpg
    IMG_9139.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 52

DaveB

My Browning A-Bolt 300WM has seen an awful lot of truly miserable weather in the California and Colorado mountains. 180 Partitions are what it really likes on top of massive charges of IMR7828 and 215M primers. I will admit it is a two-shot rifle as the magazine and throat do not match up.....like I really care. This is one of two rifles I own that every time it barks in the field something dies.

I do not know if all Savage rifles have the super long bolt lift or the crazy bolt removal process. The ones I own are very accurate but I won;t be buying any more of them.

RUGER has it right. A-Bolt or X-Bolt.

skipperbrown

It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing how far he plans to walk, what range he plans to shoot, what game he intends to hunt, and his budget for rifle and glass.

Red-Team-98

Christensen ridgeline is also a good choice it is light, low recoil and after proper barrel break in tack driver.
I have Christensen Hunter in 338 Win Mag great carbon wrapped barrel I think I am on my 5th bull moose with this rifle since 2013. It's a tack driver with 225gr Swift A frame and 71.0 of IMR 4350.

Latest posts