6.5-300 or 28 Nosler

JeepKuntry

Anyone have experience with either? I can't find the 28 Nosler in stock with Bergara. Saw a 10pt shot by the 28 Nosler and man did it do some damage from afar. Kinda has peaked my interest since then. But SMGA has quite a few 6.5-300's in stock so it may get the nod. Want a flat shooting field gun.

lafn96

Don't know how much rounds are for the 6.5-300 WBY; but have a 300 WBY and I hardly shoot it anymore. The cost of rounds for it is insane; and the recoil it makes it uncomfortable after just a few rounds of bench shooting. Extremely accurate though at just over a .5 MOA once I found rounds it liked as it's extremely particular with ammo; probably tried around 15 different rounds so far. Still my first choice for elk, mule deer, or I were ever to make it up to Canada for deer.

ADR

Anyone have experience with either? I can't find the 28 Nosler in stock with Bergara. Saw a 10pt shot by the 28 Nosler and man did it do some damage from afar. Kinda has peaked my interest since then. But SMGA has quite a few 6.5-300's in stock so it may get the nod. Want a flat shooting field gun.
2 questions that I would have would be
1)what is the intent? Do you just want a new rifle or are you trying to find a rifle for an intended purpose?
2)do you reload?

JeepKuntry

1. Set gun up to hunt fields in West TN and Western KY where there could be 500 yard plus spots.
2. Not right now but I do plan to start.

JeepKuntry

Although I have no experience with either cartridge, I am a fan of the 6.5s. I didn't even know Bergara had a rifle chambered in 6.5-300 weatherby.
It was a Bergara 28 nosler I was looking at. There is a Savage 110 in 28 Nosler in stock at a gun store I plan to visit tomorrow. The 6.5-300 in stock are Weatherby.

Tenntrapper

Don't know how much rounds are for the 6.5-300 WBY; but have a 300 WBY and I hardly shoot it anymore. The cost of rounds for it is insane; and the recoil it makes it uncomfortable after just a few rounds of bench shooting. Extremely accurate though at just over a .5 MOA once I found rounds it liked as it's extremely particular with ammo; probably tried around 15 different rounds so far. Still my first choice for elk, mule deer, or I were ever to make it up to Canada for deer.
Been there, done that. Got tired of getting the piss kicked out of me. Sold that thing. My head still throbs from the concussion of the 300 W muzzle blast.

ADR

1. Set gun up to hunt fields in West TN and Western KY where there could be 500 yard plus spots.
2. Not right now but I do plan to start.
My $0.02 but if 500-600 yards is your goal, a 6.5-284/6.5 PRC or 280ai would do that easily with less powder, less recoil and much longer barrel life.
Once you start shooting 600 yards, you realize there are a lot of rounds that will handle that task on deer sized game very well.

Tenntrapper

My $0.02 but if 500-600 yards is your goal, a 6.5-284/6.5 PRC or 280ai would do that easily with less powder, less recoil and much longer barrel life.
Once you start shooting 600 yards, you realize there are a lot of rounds that will handle that task on deer sized game very well.
Agreed, was just about to suggest the 6.5 PRC. I shoot a 6.5-284 Norma and I think the PRC is just a shade faster. If I was a long range hunter, I wouldn't think I was under gunned shooting those distances.

Robtattoo

Hell, as much as i hate to promote em, a regular Creed will cover your bases at 500. Not that I'd ever try to talk a fella out of a gun purchase of course.

david k.

Buy that Bergara Premier in 6.5CM the guy has listed here in the classifieds...stick a good scope on it (the guy did have a really nice Tract on there...and TNRifleman swears by those)...and you could easily kill stuff farther than you might ever want to shoot....

I believe that was about a $2,000 rifle new...its a heck of a deal for his asking price, and it clearly shoots very well.

muddyboots

I'll throw out the 6.5 prc. I've got mine shooting pretty flat. I'm very confident out to 400. Working on 500 now . Very little kick. The 28 nosler is good but has some kick. I'd compare it to 7 mag.

Last edited:

Latest posts