6.5 Creedmoor

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
My thoughts, and some facts, for what they're worth.

I've never heard such kerfluffle over a cartridge, good and bad, in my shooting/hunting career. Some herald it as the best designed, flattest shooting, most magical cartridge ever. Others pooh pooh anyone who shoots it, saying that it is nothing but a fanboy cartridge that will soon fade away from existence. Very few shooters, hunters, writers, reloaders, etc, seem to be able to take a neutral stand on it, almost like modern day politics. I hope to do just that.

Statement #1: It's such a flat-shooting cartridge that you don't need to hold over for hundreds of yards - Truth of the matter is it's no flatter shooting of a round than a 7-08, 308, 243, 270, 30-06, etc (actually a little LESS flat shooting) out to well past most distances that any sane person without specialized equipment, training, and/or time to practice should be shooting. At around 800+ yards it starts to get a little bit ahead of those rounds, but, really...?

Statement #2: It will die out soon, and you won't be able to find any ammo for it - How can anyone make this statement with any level of certainty, or even confidence? Truth be told, there have been so many rifles sold in this caliber over the past few years that it is not likely to go away anytime in my lifetime.

Statement #3: It is so strong that it punches above its weight class - What does this even mean? A marginal caliber for a certain type of game comes down to physics, not cartridge or caliber. I understand what SD is, but in today's world of premium bullets it is little more than a number. If a 270win is considered marginal/minimal by some for elk, how will the .3cm of less bullet diameter at a lower velocity make it kill better?

Statement #4: It was designed with accuracy and performance in mind, so a) it is an inherently accurate round; or b) if I buy a rifle in this caliber it is most definitely going to be accurate - It WAS a purpose-built caliber, but that was more for the long neck giving it the ability to better use heavier bullets without taking up case capacity (as opposed to the 260 which has a shorter throat/longer shoulder) and with an already pseudo-improved design that maximizes the shortened case body and reduces cartridge growth. It is a really neat design, but not naturally more accurate. The gun-rag writers really have hyped this stuff about the caliber up, but I think that we can all admit that rifles have just gotten more consistently accurate due to improvements in machinery and mfg processes, regardless of caliber.

Statement #5 - You must be a fanboy/ crowd-follower/sheeple/etc to shoot this round: Sure, there are some who just want to ride the wave, some are misinformed, and some are caught up in hype. But many intelligent, level headed people like and shoot this round, and they don't go out of their way to discuss it. They don't practice the official "6.5 Creedmoor handshake," or say 3 "azugahs" before mentioning anything about their caliber to fellow club members. They just like the little caliber for what it is.

The fact of the matter is that the 6.5 Creedmoor is a neat cartridge. It has been hyped and overmarketed to some people's chagrin, but it's developers and those who chambered the first rifles in that caliber recognized how poorly Remington had done on the 260. The 260 is actually a superior caliber in case capacity and velocity, but has always been chambered in too slow of twist rates to properly utilize heavier bullets. The Creedmoor is not magical, doesn't shoot as flat as a laser beam, and won't allow you to desex a flea at 1000 yards without practicing, but it is a very effective low recoil deer round at any range that any other medium capacity, high velocity centerfire cartridge would be effective at; not better or flatter, but just as good. I don't think that anyone should get wrapped around the axle about this hype, as it will eventually die down when the next big thing comes out, but it will not go away.

If you are looking at a new deer rifle, a 6.5 Creedmoor will likely fit the bill really well. If you already have a 260, 270, 25-06, 7-08, 308 (I think you get the picture), don't get rid of them to get a 6.5. What you have is already just as good. I personally feel that any rifle that can fire a 120gr+ bullet of decent construction at 2800+ fps will more than effectively take deer at all reasonable ranges with proper shot placement. Some will even say less is appropriate, and I wouldn't tell them that they are wrong . A 223 or 243 will work with well constructed bullets placed in the proper location.

Mr.Bro

You are correct sir.
What it is a new cartridge that's being pushed by every gun manufacturer and cartridge maker.
New products are what keeps the industry going.
Years ago you had to have a light on your pistol.
After the lights died down it was lasers. Just had to have a laser on your carry gun.
Now its silencers and breaks. Just had to have one on every pistol.
Rifles? 1st it was synthetic stocks. Then speed. You just had to shoot at least 3,500 fps or your rifle just wasn't good enough.
Then came the silencers. Really? Who wants to lug one of those things around while hunting?
Now its the 6.5. Whats next the 6.5 improved?
New products. Its what makes the world go round. No matter if its guns, automobiles or booze.

mike243

I think I read it has been out for 15 years ,get enuf sheople to get on the band wagon and you can sell any thing :rotf:

DaveB

The Blackout was the same way. You could not take a deep breath but that another Blackout ad or story was in your face.

TN Song Dog

Funny for sure. Curious what you guys think... why does "CREEDMOOR" really upset so many people? Some joke about it, but some folks seriously have hurt feelings because of it... I don't see the big deal, I guess.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TNRifleman

TN Song Dog":1rjvi7bx said:
Funny for sure. Curious what you guys think... why does "CREEDMOOR" really upset so many people? Some joke about it, but some folks seriously have hurt feelings because of it... I don't see the big deal, I guess.

I really couldn't care what other people think as long as I am happy with what I am doing. My two main calibers are diametrically opposed in terms of fad status. I shoot the 6.5CM and the 30-06.

The 6.5CM just has proved to me that it is a great caliber for a light recoiling deer rifle and also gives me the potential to shoot for distance if I someday want to punch paper at longer ranges. Some folks take the 6.5 hype way too far for sure, but it is hard to deny that it is a really good round. I currently have 3 6.5's, and recently sold another. All are production rifles, and each of the four has produced a 1/2" or better, 5 shot group, at 100 yards with factory ammo. Are there other calibers that will do the same thing with similar recoil? Likely yes, and I am sure there are plenty on here that will tout the 7mm-08 all day long as a viable alternative. Had I started with that caliber, it's possible I would not own any 6.5s.

On the other end of the spectrum, I shoot the washed-up, good for nothing old man, 30-06. All it does is kill animals effectively year after year but you continually here about all of the other .30 cal cartidges that are bigger, faster, stronger and so on. I guess this makes me a traditionalist in one sense and a "jump-on-the-bandwagon fanboy" in another sense.

Either way, I am happy to tote either to the range or to the woods where the ultimate proof to me is how good the seared tenderloin tastes.

Hunter 257W

Yeah it's a fine cartridge but the hype gets a bit out of control sometimes. Same for all this ultra long range shooting. I get a bit tired of all the talk of how a rifle has to have at least $2,000 of custom parts in it before it's considered acceptable to hunt with. The truth of the matter is that you could build a rifle in either 6.5x55 or 260 Remington and get most of the advantages of a 6.5 Creedmoor if you built it to the same specs, i.e. twist rate, chamber and throat dimensions, etc.

Of course the gun industry has to push new products to make money so they jump on any trends they see developing to push sales as far as possible. If everybody bought a 270 and hunted with it for life we might not have but one rifle manufacturer to select from because they'd all be broke! :)

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
TNRifleman":y67y8blm said:
TN Song Dog":y67y8blm said:

I really couldn't care what other people think as long as I am happy with what I am doing. My two main calibers are diametrically opposed in terms of fad status. I shoot the 6.5CM and the 30-06.

The 6.5CM just has proved to me that it is a great caliber for a light recoiling deer rifle and also gives me the potential to shoot for distance if I someday want to punch paper at longer ranges. Some folks take the 6.5 hype way too far for sure, but it is hard to deny that it is a really good round. I currently have 3 6.5's, and recently sold another. All are production rifles, and each of the four has produced a 1/2" or better, 5 shot group, at 100 yards with factory ammo. Are there other calibers that will do the same thing with similar recoil? Likely yes, and I am sure there are plenty on here that will tout the 7mm-08 all day long as a viable alternative. Had I started with that caliber, it's possible I would not own any 6.5s.

On the other end of the spectrum, I shoot the washed-up, good for nothing old man, 30-06. All it does is kill animals effectively year after year but you continually here about all of the other .30 cal cartidges that are bigger, faster, stronger and so on. I guess this makes me a traditionalist in one sense and a "jump-on-the-bandwagon fanboy" in another sense.

Either way, I am happy to tote either to the range or to the woods where the ultimate proof to me is how good the seared tenderloin tastes.
As usual, I like your style.

I'm a 30-06 fan, but typically prefer 308win-based cartridges if I'm going short action for the practicalist/prepper that lives deep down inside of me. If was not a hand loader, and I had no concern of ammo availability drying up (see recent gun and ammo run), then I'd likely choose a Creedmoor for those same reasons that you list. It really is a neat cartridge, and I think that most can tell from my post that I'm not a hater. It really can be comical to hear the hype and/or misinformation about it, though .

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
It's an excellent cartridge and makes for a versatile hunting rifle for men, women and kids alike. However, many other cartridges perform just as well. It will be around for a long, long time that's for sure.

Urban_Hunter

TN Song Dog":2gds9cnt said:

I think it's because some people put a lot of thought and effort into their rifles and ammunition and they are very knowledgeable about them. Then any old fool with a creedmoor thinks he can relate. It's hard to argue that the creedmoor is not one of the best all purpose cartridges ever produced, so a lot people run to Walmart and grab one and the conversation typically goes "oh you were working on load development? Yea, I bought the expensive ammo for my creed too". To me it's similar to Snap-On tools... anyone who owns them thinks they belong at the master mechanic table.

As for myself, I think it's an awesome cartridge and would own one if the opportunity presented itself. Meanwhile I'm working on my 308s

TN Song Dog

Urban_Hunter":2j4s3xzf said:
TN Song Dog":2j4s3xzf said:

I think it's because some people put a lot of thought and effort into their rifles and ammunition and they are very knowledgeable about them. Then any old fool with a creedmoor thinks he can relate. It's hard to argue that the creedmoor is not one of the best all purpose cartridges ever produced, so a lot people run to Walmart and grab one and the conversation typically goes "oh you were working on load development? Yea, I bought the expensive ammo for my creed too". To me it's similar to Snap-On tools... anyone who owns them thinks they belong at the master mechanic table.

As for myself, I think it's an awesome cartridge and would own one if the opportunity presented itself. Meanwhile I'm working on my 308s
I think you may of hit the nail on the head.

JimFromTN

TNRifleman":3vh1w4au said:

I went with the 300 wm because there were no 30-06's on the shelf. That has actually happened to me twice where I wanted a 30-06 and ended up with a 300wm.

JimFromTN

TN Song Dog":2xmuuot2 said:
Urban_Hunter":2xmuuot2 said:
TN Song Dog":2xmuuot2 said:

I think you may of hit the nail on the head.

I think it happens anytime a new cartridge comes out. A good example would be the WSM's back in the early 2000's. Great cartridges but they never really took off. Out of all of them, the 300wsm is the only one that really has any popularity.

lapuafan

Mr.Bro":13zlwix7 said:
You are correct sir.
What it is a new cartridge that's being pushed by every gun manufacturer and cartridge maker.
New products are what keeps the industry going.
Years ago you had to have a light on your pistol.
After the lights died down it was lasers. Just had to have a laser on your carry gun.
Now its silencers and breaks. Just had to have one on every pistol.
Rifles? 1st it was synthetic stocks. Then speed. You just had to shoot at least 3,500 fps or your rifle just wasn't good enough.
Then came the silencers. Really? Who wants to lug one of those things around while hunting?
Now its the 6.5. Whats next the 6.5 improved?
New products. Its what makes the world go round. No matter if its guns, automobiles or booze.
No the new 6mm cm !!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

lapuafan

Statement #1 is ah well I'll leave it there. 7 08. 308, 243. Same case differ bullet, 270 , 3006, same case differ bullet. But why not drop the 2506 in there ? And my question to you sir if all the s/a you just named why is it I don't see any them in competing ? And comparing a 270 and 3006 in the same category I'll take 270 any day. Now for your 800 yards do you know the drop of a 243 or 7 08 at 800 ? Hope you have a good scope with a lot of adjustment. But the 6.5 6mm cm, 6.5x47, and yes 2506 are your calibers you see in action. And the long action 300 win making heavy come back, but me I like the 338 lapua I know it bucks the wind and will not start tumbling when it hits transonic . So that's just a Lil of my experience.

lapuafan

TN Song Dog":nwqxa1a7 said:

Name me one cartridge that has the bc and flatter shooter ?

JimFromTN

lapuafan":1j3acva3 said:
Statement #1 is ah well I'll leave it there. 7 08. 308, 243. Same case differ bullet, 270 , 3006, same case differ bullet. But why not drop the 2506 in there ? And my question to you sir if all the s/a you just named why is it I don't see any them in competing ? And comparing a 270 and 3006 in the same category I'll take 270 any day. Now for your 800 yards do you know the drop of a 243 or 7 08 at 800 ? Hope you have a good scope with a lot of adjustment. But the 6.5 6mm cm, 6.5x47, and yes 2506 are your calibers you see in action. And the long action 300 win making heavy come back, but me I like the 338 lapua I know it bucks the wind and will not start tumbling when it hits transonic . So that's just a Lil of my experience.

I think he addressed that in statement #1. As for 26-06, I think he was just giving a general list of possible cartridges commonly used by hunters and left that out. That was my take.

Statement #1: It's such a flat-shooting cartridge that you don't need to hold over for hundreds of yards - Truth of the matter is it's no flatter shooting of a round than a 7-08, 308, 243, 270, 30-06, etc (actually a little LESS flat shooting) out to well past most distances that any sane person without specialized equipment, training, and/or time to practice should be shooting. At around 800+ yards it starts to get a little bit ahead of those rounds, but, really...?

As long as you are mentioning competition shooting, don't forget the 6.5-284. Its a little flatter shooter than the 6.5cm, isn't it?

Latest posts