.30 06' Springfield vs the .270 Winchester

UTGrad

I am already thinking about next year. I have a great bow (Parker Blackhawk), muzzleloader (CVA Accura w/Bushnell Elite 4200), but I am wanting a bolt action tack driver. I am pretty set on the Weatherby Vanguard and a Nikon Monarch scope, but can't make up my mind between these two calibers.

Here is what I want:

Clean kill capability up to 300 yards

Good expansion at close ranges

Shootability

Ammo availability (shouldn't be a problem with either)

Accuracy

Give me your thoughts

Thanks UT

cecil30-30

I've got a remington 700 in 30-06,been my main deer killer for 5 years now every deer i've shot with it,has took a ride in the truck..But either caliber will get the job done.

Only experience I have with the 270 was in a H&R handi rifle and that thing would absolutly tear your shoulder off,I only put half a box of shells through it and then i sold it,too much recoil for me,but a bolt gun is probably different..

Plateau Hunter

Of those two choices I would go with the .270 because it is easier to shoot accurately imo. Either will do what you want. Personally I like short action rifles and cartridges better. The .308, 7/08, or .260 will do just as well as the .270 in a shorter handier package. Plateau Hunter

mike243

i would opt for the 30-06,wider selection of bullet weights & bigger sectional dia,coarse i shoot a 243 & a 300wm so what do i know :) ,finding a caliber & it being a tack driver with the bullet of your choice might be the hard part,rifles are finicky & unless you hand load your choices are limited,to many good choices & no bad choices out there,pick 1 & be happy with it,the only person that has to be satisfied with your choice is you so dont let anyone pick your poison :) ,mike243

David Sapp

ought 6 versus the ought not....

that should be good for a few upset .277 fans

Either are absolutely proven deer rounds. I grew up in a 30/06 family and that has always been my personal gold standard as an all around, do anything cartridge. If my Dad had been Jack O'Connor, my outlook would have been different I'm sure.

ratsnakeboogy

I like the .270 very much with 130gr bullets, but the '06 has many more bullet weight options that perform very well. I've shot everything from 125gr to 220gr. My favorite is the 165gr boat tail ballistic tip.

skynimrod

The 270 is just a necked down 06. Will you hunt bigger big game or smaller game?
All around U can't beat the factory bullet choices for the 30 cal.

Kimberman

Both will kill deer with boring regularity, anyone who says one is a better cartridge for deer over the other is kidding themselves. Im with Plateu Hunter, I like a short action rifle better than a long action, I think a 260 or 308 are about as perfect as it gets for a deer rifle. If I had to choose between an 06 or a 270, I would get a 270, I dont have a good reason other than I like .277 cal.

Buccaneer

Rem 700 LTR Light Tactical in .308. Burris or Leupold optics. You want to drive tacks, this is your baby. Short action, short fluted barrel, won't break the bank. http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/700ltr.htm
Or go with the FN Herstal Patrol Bolt Rifle
http://www.snipercentral.com/pbr.htm
I have a Savage 110 in 7mm Mag that I thought was ungodly accurate, until I bought and shot my Rem LTR. Stick with Tactical if you really want a 3 shot one hole gun.

tnfirefighter

Ive got Both, Rem 700 270, Savage 110 30-06. Ive hammered deer with both. I like the savage because its lighter. Ive took a few long shots with both rifles. 281 yards with the 270 and 294 with the 30-06 both dropped the meat on the ground. I cant really find a mechanical reason why one would be better than the other.

jakeway

I've got a 270 and it's the most accurate rifle I've ever owned.

270Browningquarterinchgroup.jpg

I had a 30-06 and sold it because it just didn't perform as well as the 270. The 270 kicks less. I've got some 90 grain varmint loads I sometimes use for coyotes.

The 30-06 is an OK round, and if you find a good deal on a rifle you like and it's an '06, go for it. But if you're buying a new gun and have your choice of either round, I'd definately recommend the 270.

Having said that, I think the 7mm-08 and the 260 REM are better deer cartridges for middle Tennessee.