.243 - what would you choose?

Gravey

I've got a .243 encore barrel and from the thread on here, you probably know I've been looking at purchasing a separate frame for it so I don't have to change them in and out all the time. After getting some price info, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off selling the barrel and buying another .243 in a bolt action. If that were the case, what would you suggest?

Gravey

Model70Man said:
I'd get another frame and save yourself some $$$.
It would actually cost me more as that was the original plan but I priced a stainless frame with camo stock at Bass Pro yesterday and it was $379. Add the $300 barrel to it plus tax and I'm over $700 into it not counting scope, rings, and mounts. I can get a great deal on a Remington through my brother-in-law but I'd have to find one that is small like the encore because I love the feel of it so much. Otherwise, I'll bite the bullet and buy another frame.

Kimberman

If a frame is $379, and you already have the 243 barrel with optics, I fail to see where the $700 + optics is coming into play. If I have it right, you should be out of the woods for $379 + tax. For that money I dont think there is a bolt action I would rather have.

Gravey

Kimberman said:
If a frame is $379, and you already have the 243 barrel with optics, I fail to see where the $700 + optics is coming into play. If I have it right, you should be out of the woods for $379 + tax. For that money I dont think there is a bolt action I would rather have.
Let me try to explain it a little better. I've already got $300 in the barrel and then another $379 for the frame would make it over $700 not including rings, mount, & scope of which I already have. If I bought a bolt action I would sell the .243 encore barrel. Let's just say I sold it for $200. Add the $379 to that and I'm at $579 and I can buy a nice bolt action .243 for that especially if I go the Remington route with my brother-in-law's discount.

TAS

Gravey,

You were talking small size and weight. How about the Model 700 LSS mountain rifle in 7mm-08?

IMO model 700 is the only way to go for the money.

Gravey

TAS said:
But the 700 LSS is pretty expensive. I guess it depends on what kind of discount your Brother in law can get.
If I go the bolt route, I'll start with the Remington 700's and go from there. He gets a 25% discount off the distributor cost meaning if a gun retails for $600 and the distributor buys it for $450, he can get it for $337.50. Not shabby huh? :)

TAS

Heck no brother! I managed to get three rifles from a good friend that worked at Remington at a huge discount. I suggest you take advantage of that as long and often as possible!

Buy him a nice Christmas present! :D

CZ284

My son shoots an Encore in 7/08 with a 21 inch barrel we had made at the TC custom shop. It shoots great and is real light and easy to carry. Can't go wrong.

Gravey

Okay folks, I've looked around on Remington's website and here are 4 models that look intriguing to me that are available in a .243. What are your opinions (good & bad) on these? Just reading the website, I can't find a lot of differences in the 700's other than the visual aspects.

700 SPS DM
700 SPS Stainless
700 BDL
700 CDL

PickettSFHunter

If it were me I would get the SPS DM, because I do love detachable mags. I really like CDL's BUT I cant stand to hunt with a rifle as pretty as they are and scratch them. All the rifles you listed will be great shooters, its up to you.

TiminTN

My vote goes to the SPS Stainless, for many of the same reasons as Stevens, BUT, I like the traditional swing open bottom metal. Remington uses different specs on the feed rails on the Detachable models, so you must always use that platform. The traditional models allow for future options if upgrading or modifying for a rebarrel. Stock upgrades are almost nil for the Detachables.

Gravey

Thanks Steven and Tim. From what I knew, my first choice was also the SPS Stainless so I guess I'll look around and see if I can find one, pick it up, and see how I like it. Then maybe I'll know whether or not to buy it or another encore frame. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Latest posts