10ga Turkey loads (Mag Blend or TSS)

kornbread

2-Step Enabled
Anyone used these? Plan on trying to take a bird with the 10ga this year. I have an Indian Creek Choke. .690 I believe.

megalomaniac

I have a LOT of experience with the Rem SP10. Lead 5s were my go to out to 40y for a couple decades, but be sure to pattern your gun. The Winchester XX's at 1300 fps did the best, Remington nitro turkeys completely blew out patterns and were not usable.

but when Federal heavyweights came out... holy cow, game changer. #7's would give me 200/200 at 40y. I still have 2 cases of the stuff, but then switched to the 20g and #9 TSS.

Last edited:

Rakkin6

I would say with the 10 gauge any lead shot would work. Winchester Double X or Magnum Blend. But if you do decide on TSS please post the pics. Never saw a 10 gauge TSS load before. No such thing has to dead.

TheLBLman

but when Federal heavyweights came out... holy cow, game changer. #7's would give me 200/200 at 40y. I still have 2 cases of the stuff, but then switched to the 20g and #9 TSS.
Similar story here.
When those Federal Heavyweight #7s came out, they basically gave my 20 gauges the range (without the recoil) of a 12 ga with #5 lead loads. A friend of mine shot a really big Tom at 46 yds, and those original Federal Heavyweights completely passed thru the breast on that bird (on top of dropping it on the spot). That "sold" me on #7s when "heavier than lead".

Then the TSS came out later, and the #9 TSS may out-penetrate those #7 HTLs.

TSS has obsoleted any former need for a 10 ga, imo.
As had some 3 1/2-inch 12 ga lead (& steel) loads about equaling the 10 ga payloads.

Southern Sportsman

Like many, I've moved to a 20ga and .410 for turkeys. Although I have absolutely no desire to tote a 10 gauge, I completely understand wanting to kill one with a specific gun. You certainly don't NEED tungsten to get good patterns with a 10 ga, but . . . I would love to see a pattern with 3 oz of TSS 9s 🤔

TheLBLman

A guy told me he used TSS in his 12, and me being a smartass, I said where did you get your loan? He looked at me funny, then laughed a little.
The thing is, for turkeys, you only need to fire two rounds annually to limit out in TN.
Yes, TSS is expensive, but only a drop in the bucket compared to all the other costs of turkey hunting, such as fuel to go hunting.

I bet most TN turkey hunters spend more on a single weekend's fuel than an annual supply of TSS?

CHRIS WILSON

Like many, I've moved to a 20ga and .410 for turkeys. Although I have absolutely no desire to tote a 10 gauge, I completely understand wanting to kill one with a specific gun. You certainly don't NEED tungsten to get good patterns with a 10 ga, but . . . I would love to see a pattern with 3 oz of TSS 9s 🤔
I'm with you. I just want to see the pattern it'll produce.

kornbread

2-Step Enabled
I guess I'll be shooting Magblend. I got on Pendleton Ammo to order some 10ga. I can't do 110 for 5 rounds.

Attachments

• BD0C5414-BDE0-4619-89A3-018E29026895.png
    BD0C5414-BDE0-4619-89A3-018E29026895.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 54

JCDEERMAN

The thing is, for turkeys, you only need to fire two rounds annually to limit out in TN.
Yes, TSS is expensive, but only a drop in the bucket compared to all the other costs of turkey hunting, such as fuel to go hunting.

I bet most TN turkey hunters spend more on a single weekend's fuel than an annual supply of TSS?
True and that was the justification for me buying a 20g this year and going with it from here on out. BUT if I decide to use it for dove hunting this year and have to take my Burris ff3 off, and being I'm OCD about my shooting, I'll have to put it back on and shoot several more rounds to make sure it's still on. I just HATE the thought of a $10 round!! Happy with my decision, nonetheless.

Jfelkins

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but why use a 10ga? I had a buddy that duck hunted with one and I think they are cool. Is it mostly the range? Not trying to start a debate, just wanna learn. Thanks!

Latest posts