Food Plots Winter wheat vs grain rye

southernhunter

I switched my 2 acre wheat plot to grain rye last year. It grew better but they deer didn't seem to perfer one over the other . The best plot I have had as far as grains are concerned was a mixture of wheat , rye . Oats . Going back to that this year .

348Winchester

For new plots grain rye cannot be beat for it is an excellent source of green manure come spring. If you are late to plant grain rye also is more cold tolerant and hardy than wheat. As far as preference by deer, I believe they like wheat a little better. But I definately believe they prefer oats over rye or wheat. After I get a plot well established, I plant oats and the deer feed on them heavily.

tellico4x4

We have done a mixture of all 3 for several years now, and always have a good stand come up. Clemmonds & Hamner have a grain mix for $15/50lbs that includes all 3, http://www.clemmonshamnerseed.com/products.html

As for what the deer prefer, I really can't tell any difference in anything we plant except for Daikon Radishes. Watched numerous deer last year walk thru wheat,oats,rye,clover & rape to eat the radish tops.

treefarmer

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll try mixing all 3 because I need 3 bags anyways. I like Clemmonds & Hamners pricing and mixes and wish they were closer or open on Saturdays.

Latest posts