Winter wheat prices

Boone 58

smstone22 said:
What are yall paying this year? I just went and checked at two places in Cookeville and got some sticker shock. I havent been doing this foodplot stuff but maybe 6 or 7 years and can remember paying $6 per 50 lbs of VNS wheat. Both places I checked today were $14.95 per 50 lbs for VNS wheat, feed wheat, not seed wheat, and thats with tax exemption status.

I buy from Clemmons Hammner in greenhill ala. and he always sells me "feed" wheat and we have excellent germination so i would never recommend buying anything else because you arent planting for a harvest..........

BSK

camoman270 said:
smstone22 said:
What are yall paying this year? I just went and checked at two places in Cookeville and got some sticker shock. I havent been doing this foodplot stuff but maybe 6 or 7 years and can remember paying $6 per 50 lbs of VNS wheat. Both places I checked today were $14.95 per 50 lbs for VNS wheat, feed wheat, not seed wheat, and thats with tax exemption status.

I buy from Clemmons Hammner in greenhill ala. and he always sells me "feed" wheat and we have excellent germination so i would never recommend buying anything else because you arent planting for a harvest..........

The big problem with "feed" wheat is that it is usually loaded with weed seed. Due to using feed wheat a few times, I now have weeds in my plots that are not native to my property, and real nasty ones at that.

treefarmer

Thanks for the advice guys, I avoided the "feed" wheat when I bought the VNS wheat at co-op Saturday. I payed probably $4 per bag more but it is worth it. I need to get a sprayer going and get rid of my annual millet weeds and their big grass leaves.

Jarred525

My brother has a farmer fiend who was harvesting wheat back earlier in the year. We have a buggy and he filled it up with wheat harvested out of the field. I am nervous using it because of the potential weed problems...

farmin68

smstone22 said:
To equal 150 pounds of N per acre, you would have to apply 15 bags of 10-10-10 per acre.

Excellent post, Steven. You are definitely on the right track. However, for an application of 10-10-10 to contribute 150 lbs of N, you would need 30 bags (50 lbs each) of fertilizer. The value on the bag is based on the contents of 100lbs of fertilizer. To find the number of 50lb bags needed for 150 lbs of N, just divide, then double the answer; 150 divided by 10 = 15. And of course 15 x 2 = 30.

Your methods make a lot of sense and I use them on my garden. 30 vs. 15 bags needed makes it make even more $en$e! :eek:

Boone 58

BSK said:
camoman270 said:
smstone22 said:

The big problem with "feed" wheat is that it is usually loaded with weed seed. Due to using feed wheat a few times, I now have weeds in my plots that are not native to my property, and real nasty ones at that.

Wayne county cutover is a plethora of various and sundry weeds. Cant tell any issue there because we have every weed known to man allready. Having said that at 9.00 a bag we have been very happy with the results. :)

AlabamaSwamper

Clemons and Hamner here had winter wheat for $14 per 50lb the other day. Forage Oats (not bob oats) and Grain Rye was the same price. These guys harvest and clean the seed and then sell it to seed stores all over the place. Big operation. Owners were in Idaho visiting some big farm while I was there.

I think it was $15 for WW last year so it has went down $1.

I wanted some winter peas but they told me the best germination rate on what they had this year was 61% so they talked me out of it.

Latest posts