New Plot/Bedding Area Progress Pics + Egyptian Wheat Success

DeerCamp

Started a management plan this spring on a ~40 acre property that began by creating 3 bedding areas using a combination of hinge cuts, girdling and some native plantings. The property was 100% wooded when we bought it in 2014. We built a house on the front of the property, and my wife and kids hunt this property 95% of the time. I sometimes bow hunt, but sparingly.

The deer immediately began using these new bedding areas as soon as we finished as evidenced by having to upgrade my spypoint cell cam plans....

This is the entrance to the largest of the bedding areas. You can see the rubbing stick and also the watering hole to the right of the trail. The bedding area itself is much more complex, this is just the entrance.

y05DePM.jpg

ARdUWEs.jpg

The second part of the plan was to create high impact, screened food sources directly adjacent to that new bedding.

In a previous year (2017) we cleared approximately 1 acre on a large hill that dips down into the creek bottoms. Its been good, but it needed to be improved and expanded.

This is what we started with - this is a view looking out the left side of the blind.

45R9mPZ.jpg

Expanding in progress early summer 2020:

cI1d2ob.jpg

ZC0amSb.jpg

Too wet for dozer, but good enough to get egyptian wheat started! And no time to waste - it's already the end of June. So much rain! The egyptian wheat did not come in well on the hill (loamy clay), but did great on the lower portion.

0A4fobB.jpg

Growing well!

hkHMIQI.jpg

A week later

bEsGVkP.jpg

6 weeks later

GjXtenF.jpg

Mid August - Finally dry enough for dozer. Got it done just in time for the rains to come back and fill in the pond. Its about 4 feet deep.

FlAeb3g.jpg

View of the pond and front view of the blind. Straw around the pond to help erosion and sowed.

Y88vrL1.jpg

1700 pounds of lime and fertilizer (BY HAND...whew) and 300 lbs of Cereal Rye, Winter Wheat and a little brassica and clover later. Finally looking like a place to hunt.

G5bjV2D.jpg

Looking down the new plot/lane.

KiTtk6s.jpg

Was able to use the "mulch" method on the hill, but the lower part was bare ground. Still... seems to be coming in well.

gpcF75R.jpg

uaXBHpc.jpg

Decided to sit sunday morning in a chair behind some of the egyptian wheat. The deer are really using these areas, which is super satisfying. very excited for my wife and kids this year!

qqDuxBe.jpg

ILVX6Ge.jpg

Only thing left to do now is wait for this rain this week and overseed 100 mor elbs (50 lbs forage oats, 50 lbs cereal rye) to really get a thick carpet. Oh, and one more round of fertilizer tossed over the new growth.

JCDEERMAN

Re: New Plot/Bedding Area Progress Pics + Egyptian Wheat Suc

That's great! Always good to see the critters utilize areas you've improved. Love seeing hard work paying off

DeerCamp

Not sure if this isn't interesting to you guys, but I went back down today and overseeded 50lbs of forage oats and one last round of fertilizer.

In 2 weeks I will do one more application of 100lb of cereal winter Rye.

Looking pretty good though!

FuoHRFI.jpg

8mAO4E8.jpg

View from end of new plot. This plot is still connected to the main plot in the shape of an L, with the main plot being up the hill and to the right of the blind in this pic

ZXf2gPI.jpg

DoubleRidge

Looking good! Very satisfying to see habitat improvements coming together and working! The changes you have made will benefit all wildlife....and not just in hunting season....but year around.....keep up the good work!!

rtaylor

I'm jealous. I put my seeds down at the worst possible time. Pretty sure they are all dead but I did go back and put down 100 lbs of wheat before this rain just to have something.

DeerCamp

rtaylor":1m7uxudi said:
I'm jealous. I put my seeds down at the worst possible time. Pretty sure they are all dead but I did go back and put down 100 lbs of wheat before this rain just to have something.

I'm not an expert at all, but my understanding is that cereal (winter) rye will germinate all the way down to 33-35 degrees. You can seed in layers (add 50lbs/acre every 2 week) and you will have a nice layered growth with lots of thick vegetation and young growth underneath.

Can get cereal rye at the co-op for about $15 for a 50 lb bag.

Deifnitely not too late to salvage! Good Luck!

DeerCamp

Started to really see the deer show up.

A bit concerned about the lack of fawns. We've lost several, likely to predation.

Attachments

• spypoint.jpg
    spypoint.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 322

BDS05

Do you have any evidence and or concern of deer bedding right next to the plots with your egyptian wheat?

Nonetheless, looks spectacular. Great work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DeerCamp

BDS05:1f7g5lzm said:
Do you have any evidence and or concern of deer bedding right next to the plots with your egyptian wheat?

Nonetheless, looks spectacular. Great work.

Thank you!

No, in fact behind the screen are 1/2 acre bedding areas stacked behind it. Approximately 50-100 yards behind the screening. It's all thick enough that they have no visibility of the food plot from the bedding areas.

We want to control where the does bed, and then enter the property from the other side. So far its working ok.

November will be the real test.

Last edited:

TX300mag

Looks great! Hopefully one of your neighbors (in particular) will benefit from all your hard work! [emoji2960]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDS05

Care to give tips on the bedding?
Hinge and girdling - Any rhyme or reason to trees you selected for whatever method?
Native forages - Any rhyme or reason? What seems to be working for you? Try anything different?
How big are these areas? Would you change anything? What was your thought process before laying out where they would be? Do you have a system of "trails" throughout moreso entering and exiting?
I know it's a million questions but you seemed to have possibly nailed this one...

DeerCamp

Care to give tips on the bedding?
Hinge and girdling - Any rhyme or reason to trees you selected for whatever method?
Native forages - Any rhyme or reason? What seems to be working for you? Try anything different?
How big are these areas? Would you change anything? What was your thought process before laying out where they would be? Do you have a system of "trails" throughout moreso entering and exiting?
I know it's a million questions but you seemed to have possibly nailed this one...

I don't really feel qualified to give tips, but I can share what I chose to do and why.

I chose hinge cutting because it provides immediate cover and browse. Girdling is more of a 2+ year approaching.

The areas I cut are about 1/4-1/2 acre and yes, I made calculated mess and then cut the trails through them.

I general I didn't cut any evergreens and tried not to touch any white or red oaks just because I already have a shortage.

Since I'm not really interested in doing timber management on these small sections, I didn't really differentiate between trees too much. I did leave a couple that I identified as valuable (TN Forestry) alone. But my #1 goal was immediate cover and browse, right next to bedding. The water holes will be more useful in years with less rain I think.

One thing I will add... The Egyptian wheat has really worked like we hoped. Downwind bucks are coming into the plot rather than skirting the woods and looking in. That said, still haven't connected on a mature buck yet. But they are using it.

I would also note that the deer started using the area a lot more after I cut trails into the mess I made. I think it can be "too messy"

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

Totally agree with your comments about cutting trails....you clear a path and the deer will use it.....I'm interested to learn more about the Egyptian wheat....have a couple of places I'd like to try it for screening....thanks for the update....nice improvements your making!

DeerCamp

Totally agree with your comments about cutting trails....you clear a path and the deer will use it.....I'm interested to learn more about the Egyptian wheat....have a couple of places I'd like to try it for screening....thanks for the update....nice improvements your making!
I can say with some degree of certainty that the egyptian wheat forced more bucks into the open to check on does, etc.

They also seemed to be more comfortable feeding in the food plot with it there, but it didn't come in as well as I had hoped in a few areas.

That said, we took our first mature buck in the food plot this year, and have pics of 4 mature bucks in daylight in the plots. Wife had opportunities at 3 different mature bucks.

Wife connected on this bruiser last week. (First week of Dec is always our best week). He had broken off almost all of his tines (G2 and G3, both side) and was pretty scarred up, but I still like how the main beams almost touch.

I would guess if he wasn't broken he would have been around 115". Weighed 180 on buffalo scale. Estimate from the teeth he was 3.5

Attachments

• 76388_resized.jpeg
    76388_resized.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

DoubleRidge

I can say with some degree of certainty that the egyptian what forced more bucks into the open to check on does, etc.

They also seemed to be more comfortable feeding in the food plot with it there, but it didn't come in as well as I had hoped in a few areas.

That said, we took our first mature buck in the food plot this year, and have pics of 4 mature bucks in daylight in the plots.

Wife connected on this bruiser last week. (First week of Dec is always our best week). He had broken off almost all of his tines (G2 and G3, both side) and was pretty scarred up, but I still like how the main beams almost touch.

I would guess if he wasn't broken he would have been around 115". Weighed 180 on buffalo scale. Estimate from the teeth he was 3.5

Thanks for the update....Very encouraging to get day time pics in plots...good deal....and the main beams are cool how they swing around in the front.... congrats to the wife!! (and the double throat patch is cool too)

Latest posts