Creating Bedding Areas?

bjohnson

North slope, South slope? Which do you prefer to put in bedding areas? Our farm is predominantly north and south running ridges but I do have a couple of spots that do have a SW or NE facing slope.

Ski

Doe bedding is pretty forgiving. Those girls will pretty much set up camp at the nearest spot to food that offers some semblance of safely. Bucks on the other hand can be pretty darn persnickity, especially older bucks. I tend to let them decide where and how to bed, and don't mess with it because there's good reason they bed where they do and if I change anything I'm afraid they'll quit bedding there.

bjohnson

All of our bedding cover is on the east side of our farm with 2 three acre thickets in the center. I need to put in 2 bedding thickets on the west side near food.

DeerCamp

For does - create cover with escape routes near food. Its hard to go wrong. Hinge cut is my favorite because its quick. Clear cut and let grow is also great but takes a few years.

For bucks - I've never had any luck creating specific buck bedding. Seems like the best I have been able to do for buck bedding is nothing, aka, leave them alone. I'm sure some have had success, just not me.

deerhunter10

We don't pay attention to south or north. For the most part our weather isn't bad enough to matter. We try to create where we can actually hunt tucked in close to it. So we want access good winds to hunt where we want and we also try to tuck food close to it. Just us but it seems to work. Main thing is we don't mess with it. We don't shed hunt it don't put cameras in it only go in to get a deer. Just because you make it doesn't mean big deer are going to use it same with food plots. We just do our best to do make the outer edges our huntable.

JCDEERMAN

Every property is different. Depends on your terrain layout and acorn producing trees. We will be trying this year to create more bedding on the south facing slopes. Not just for radiant heat from the sun for deer to bed, but also plant growth. But we also will be burning these areas every 2-4 years. I've tried burning north facing slopes and haven't been very successful. Our south facing slopes will provide food and cover/bedding for deer and also bugging/nesting for turkeys

Latest posts