Creating cover quickly - think this will work?

DoubleRidge

Between work and weather I hadn't pulled soil samples yet but did stop by local co-op this afternoon and picked up the sample bags....price went up a little at $9.50 per sample....but in the long run it beats over spending on lime/fertilizer...or not applying enough.

I am curious to see the lime requirements in the two new plot areas that we're previously timbered areas.

Hope to pull soil samples from the two new plot areas and three established plot areas Thursday if the weather will cooperate.

JCDEERMAN

Good deal. Not on the price of soil sample, but your progress.

Your soil in the recently timbered areas will probably be quite acidic. We've usually done 2 tons an acre. I've been told you can't have too much lime

DoubleRidge

JCDEERMAN":3tusuzig said:
Good deal. Not on the price of soil sample, but your progress.

Your soil in the recently timbered areas will probably be quite acidic. We've usually done 2 tons an acre. I've been told you can't have too much lime

Yea... based off everything I've read I'm guessing your correct....the timbered areas will likely be very acidic.... but I am curious to see what the report calls for.

DoubleRidge

Finally was able to get too both new plot areas to pull soil samples. I had mentioned in previous post that I already had soil test results for existing plots but I pulled those reports and they were four years old so I went ahead and pulled samples from the existing plots as well. So tommorow morning I'll be dropping them all off at local co-op .....now when will it be dry enough to get a lime truck or fertilizer buggy in there....who knows?

Attachments

• IMG_20200202_155333570~2.jpg
    IMG_20200202_155333570~2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,897

JCDEERMAN

Also, when liming, we have always done Ag lime and used 2 tons per acre - it costs us about $28 a ton. We are thinking about doing pelletized lime this year and everything I am reading, you are supposed to use atleast 50% less lime when using pelletized. The Co-Op is telling me that the pelletized lime starts working much sooner than Ag lime. Doesn't make sense to me since Ag lime is more of a powder, but that's what I keep hearing. Pelletized lime is $.08 / lb in our area

DoubleRidge

I've always heard the same in that pelletized lime works faster....but the cost factor has always made me shy away....but if it's true you can use 50% less then maybe cost wouldn't be as big a factor.... pelletized is still high though....no doubt I have some studying to do....coop said soil samples should ship this week so hopefully I'll have some numbers to calculate cost with....and maybe pelletized lime will be the way to go.... working faster would be nice!

DoubleRidge

Well.....I got the soil test results back and I'm a little surprised honestly......one of the new plots calls for 0 (zero) lime with the other new plot calling for 1500 lbs per acre.

On the three existing plots they called for an average of 2000 lbs per acre with some small differences between the three plot areas.

Not complaining...going to be spending a little less on lime....I was just expecting it to take more?

Glad to have the results back....but have no idea when we'll be able to get a fertilizer buggy or a lime truck in there? Really could use a break on all the rain.

JCDEERMAN

That's great - I would be thrilled with using less. Very surprising a new plot recommended zero lime.

Funny how the rain is the devil now, but will be praying for it and washing all of our trucks hoping for it in August/September

DoubleRidge

DoubleRidge":1p9i6k8r said:
Well.....I got the soil test results back and I'm a little surprised honestly......one of the new plots calls for 0 (zero) lime with the other new plot calling for 1500 lbs per acre.

On the three existing plots they called for an average of 2000 lbs per acre with some small differences between the three plot areas.

Not complaining...going to be spending a little less on lime....I was just expecting it to take more?

Glad to have the results back....but have no idea when we'll be able to get a fertilizer buggy or a lime truck in there? Really could use a break on all the rain.

Update: still no progress on lime and fertilizer. Got side tracked with project when someone decided to pulled out in front of me on way to work back in February....I was running 55 mph in F250 and guy pulls out in Kia.... thankful to the Lord we both walked away... totalled both vehicles.... anyway.... dealing with insurance companies, truck shopping, etc. has prevented me from making progress on food plots.....I was able to get the entrance set up with gravel and gates following the logging operation....now if the weather will cooperate we hope to lime and fertilize.

Attachments

• IMG_20200222_165007149~2.jpg
    IMG_20200222_165007149~2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,275

Farm manager

Pelletized lime goes into solution easier, which allows it to do its job faster but it's effects do not last as long. Some county CO-OP's now have it in bulk where you can get a buggy and have your fertilizer mixed with it.

Farm manager

Another resource is from the County soil districts, like Williamson, has a lime buggy available for rent. It spreads the bulk materials at a greater rate than a fertilizer buggy would. Have the bulk at lime delivered directly from the quarry and load the buggy yourself if you have access to a skid steer or tractor with a loader.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Cleared woodland that has little need for lime upon clearing may well need a larger dose in the future or continued applications. This is due to decay of woody matter and roots still in the soil, especially hardwood matter. Consider a few years of soil building crops like Eagle seed buffalo blend. There is a is a winter and a summer blend. You can even add other seed if desired. Once you start building organic matter you can rotate forage beans into the plots for great food and nitrogen fixation. Come late august we drill fall buffalo blend or a altered version straight into the beans for around the calendar food and soil improvement. Throw in some Sorghum sudan in the spring for added cover and to pump up the volume of organic matter you are leaving on the ground.

Latest posts