Creating a thicket

Mr. Hawk

I have 270 acres that I use only for hunting, it's mostly hillside, ridge tops and some creek bottoms. I have a 4 plots in clover, maybe 4 acres total on some of the semi-flat areas. Most of the property is what I would consider thick, the ridge tops are more open with oaks, etc and the hillsides are a mixture of cedar and other hardwoods. It's great deer habitat in that there really isn't much canopy that blocks out undergrowth where u can see for hundreds of yards. Most of the area would be limited to shots of 125 or less. What I think I am missing is some real nasty thicket type cover, I have a couple of small spots but not much. Would it be worth my while to have a logger come in and clear cut 4 or so 5 acre areas after the season and let those areas grow up in nasty thick stuff?

treefarmer

If you have 270 acres consider managing for timber as well. We converted ridgetops and South facing ridges to loblolly pine which created great cover for deer for 10 years. Even after 20 years the deer seem to bed in the pines, perhaps because we don't hunt in the pines. I tried selling my 60 year old oaks on the ridges but the timber quality was so low due to the sun/soil I couldn't give the timber away. The North slopes and valleys have high quality oaks. After about 15 years cut 1/2 of the pines which will allow weeds/grasses/vines to come back in again, creating cover. A free visit from your TDOF Area Forester can give you some options. There is even cost share available to help pay for it. Consider pines even if you only convert 5 acres because pines are cheap and grow fast.

Boll Weevil

Sounds like you have a pretty good start as far as it being thick and treefarmer offers some super suggestions re: pine plantations. Logging will definitely help it get thicker and probably add more in the browse/food department.

The downside (unless your goal is to create sanctuary) is it might become virtually unhuntable in a few years. Blackberry, greenbriar, honeysuckle, saplings, treetops...you won't be able to even see into it much less walk. If that's your goal, cutting some timber and disturbing the soil in the process will definitely help you.

Mr. Hawk

It is my goal to make doe suer thick areas, I believe this will help attract and hold older bucks to the property, what do u think?

diamond hunter

Heck,you can make a thicket that goes in a big circle with a plot in the middle and hunt the plot,especially if its an irregular shape.The buck that went through my main plot Sunday leaped twice and was out of it.He didn't want any part of that clearing while chasing that doe.Basically,I want an edge with super thicket,thinner edge to shoot his butt and food,all within a jump or three for a mature deer.Different thicknesses with the emphasis on cant walk or see through it in the middle of winter.

Boll Weevil

diamond hunter said:
Heck,you can make a thicket that goes in a big circle with a plot in the middle and hunt the plot,especially if its an irregular shape.

Right on, DH. This is essentially what we have; several 1 acre clover patches tucked into a 260 acre block of planted pines. Cruising bucks will loop through here countless times in the next several weeks looking to cut a track or bump a hot doe from her bed.

I'd think Mr. Hawk could do something like that and have some great hunting with a little effort and planning.

BSK

Mr. Hawk,

YES your property would benefit greatly from creating pockets of thicket. And personally, I would not consider anywhere where a 125 yard shot is possible as being "thick." In my thick areas, a 25 yard shot is often not possible.

I would recommend creating thickets in smaller pockets (3-5 acres each) instead of one large centrally located thicket. A large, centrally located thicket probably works better biologically (draws and holds more deer), but can be a nightmare to hunt. Creating numerous smaller patches will still prove beneficial, and will be much easier to hunt.

If at all possible, use commercial loggers to create your pockets. However, if that is not possible, then use any method at your disposal to try and increase sunlight on the ground in summer. This can be mechanical (a bulldozer), or you can use a chainsaw, or hack-and-squirt methods to kill out all undesired trees.

BSK

treefarmer said:
We converted ridgetops and South facing ridges to loblolly pine which created great cover for deer for 10 years. Even after 20 years the deer seem to bed in the pines

I CANNOT agree with treefarmer more. In a hardwood environment, there is no more attractive cover than young to middle-aged pines. Rocky ridge-tops or south-facing slopes are perfect places for fast-growing loblolly pine to be planted once timber is thinned or removed. In inclement weather (wind, rain, snow, cold) deer flock to stands of young pine. Even after 15 years of growth (trees now 30 feet tall), deer still use the pines I planted on my place more than any other habitat, especially during deer season when they are trying to hide from hunters.

Hunt 365

I agree with BSK. A lot of folks are anti-pine because there's a lack of food for the deer, BUT, small pines hold so many numbers,the payoff beats any loss of browse. Good for turkeys too

Okatoba

If I had 270 acres without thickets I would be calling a logger today. Get a central location and clear cut about 20-30 acres and never ,ever go in there after it gets grown up good. That's their safe place and it will draw deer like filings to a magnet from all around. The does in there will draw bucks from every direction. Then cut a few small 2 to 3 acre thickets here and there a few hundred yards away in a circle around that big one and hold on when the rut starts! I love hunting thickets,if I get in a tree and can see 50-75 yards my confidence in the spot just drops with every yard I can see. Go find a real deal thicket in your area in the middle of Febuary,I bet you find trails beat to the mud,beds every where and turd piles more than you can count. plus you don't have to buy seedlings,plant anything and what you make off the timber goes in your pocket. You can hunt the edges of the big thicket with a right wind, but never go into the heart of it.

Latest posts