Developing a management plan...

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I currently own 29.5 acres and I've been talking to my neighbor about buying part of his place for years. Well my neighbor contacted me this week about buying half of his land. We have signed an agreement and just waiting on a surveyor. They are back up, so it will be March before we can close on 53 acres. My current land is 99% timber while the new one will give me 5 acres of field on the northern end and a small pond and 2 small 1/4-1/2 acre openings on the south end. How would everyone start with turning this property into a better hunting parcel. My goal is my kids and 72 y/o dad opportunities to see and shoot deer. I'm not looking for a Booner on every ridge. I'm happy with a opportunity to see and maybe harvest a 3.5 y/o or older buck every year. Hunting on surrounding properties is hit or miss. My neighbor I'm buying from hasn't even hunted the last 2 years. My west neighbor hunted 3 times on their 178 acres. My southern boarder, the neighbors kids hunt some during gun.

Yellow line is my current property and the blue is the new addition. I've added a few pics of my place.

1672021218701.png

1672021592413.png

1672056395699.jpeg

1672056364257.jpeg

1672021633604.jpeg

IMG_5695.JPG

IMG_5699.JPG

69162376410__C9E6DED3-42BF-41BB-8509-6C1B2056A771.JPG

megalomaniac

Wow, that's going to really add a lot to your hunting experience!

First of all, you have realistic goals... killing a 3.5yo annually should be doable, esp if you are willing to pass most 2.5yos.

Are the fields easily accessed by a tractor? And do you have access to a tractor and implements? Are you willing to spend $750 or so annually to plant for seed fertilizer and fuel? If so, I'd def plant the entire 5ac as a destination plot, leave it unhunted during peak season, and pic 2 small (1/3 to 1/2 acre) areas to clear and plant as 'kill plots' that deer will hit in daylight and stage before moving to the big plot at night.

If you arent willing or able to plant, (or really... in addition to planting) I'd pick out 3 spots to clear-cut approx 2 to 3 acres in size to create additional holding cover and browse. Open hardwoods is not going to hold many deer, and it's far too easy to push them off the property just with normal hunting pressure. A few spots where deer feel safe is crucial to holding and growing older deer.

After those first two changes, it will take a couple years to fine tune the deers new travel routes within the property. Good luck, habitat management is the best part of deer hunting!

DoubleRidge

First of all Congratulations!! That's awesome that you were able to increase your acreage....I agree with Megas plan...I especially love the idea of creating multiple thick areas that are designated as refuge or sanctuary area's...give deer quiet places to go where they are never pressured....and if your budget allows you to plant the 5 acres great....but another option is to keep a portion of the field in early successional natural growth.....then plant a portion of the field rotating in your warm and cool season plots...think variety and diversity....and if you have closed canopy forest areas thin those areas and allow sunlight to the forest floor and you may be able generate some timber income to apply to the other projects.....from the way you have described the property and surrounding area it sounds like you have a great opportunity....enjoy the process...it takes time to transform a property and there will always be projects to work on but habitat work is so rewarding when you see wildlife respond.....keep us posted on your journey! Congrats again!

Last edited:

KirkB

I currently own 29.5 acres and I've been talking to my neighbor about buying part of his place for years. Well my neighbor contacted me this week about buying half of his land. We have signed an agreement and just waiting on a surveyor. They are back up, so it will be March before we can close on 53 acres. My current land is 99% timber while the new one will give me 5 acres of field on the northern end and a small pond and 2 small 1/4-1/2 acre openings on the south end. How would everyone start with turning this property into a better hunting parcel. My goal is my kids and 72 y/o dad opportunities to see and shoot deer. I'm not looking for a Booner on every ridge. I'm happy with a opportunity to see and maybe harvest a 3.5 y/o or older buck every year. Hunting on surrounding properties is hit or miss. My neighbor I'm buying from hasn't even hunted the last 2 years. My west neighbor hunted 3 times on their 178 acres. My southern boarder, the neighbors kids hunt some during gun.

Yellow line is my current property and the blue is the new addition. I've added a few pics of my place.

View attachment 161884

View attachment 161886
View attachment 161903
View attachment 161902

View attachment 161888
View attachment 161899

View attachment 161900

View attachment 161901
Sounds like if you've got mature timber, you should harvest it. The first growth replacement provided excellent cover. If it's mostly acorn productive oaks, you may not want to do it. I cut the timber off of my 200 acres about 15 years ago, and in that area we have either killed or seen on camera 10 definite shooters in the property. 1 was a 15 point double drop time deer. Have never seen a deer like that anywhere near my property, much less on it! Our food plots were simple. A mixture of winter wheat and turnips, My dad and I killed the two biggest 9 pointers, we've ever seen in TN in person this year. The food plots and selective timber harvesting are key, I think. Comments?

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
Wow, that's going to really add a lot to your hunting experience!

First of all, you have realistic goals... killing a 3.5yo annually should be doable, esp if you are willing to pass most 2.5yos.

Are the fields easily accessed by a tractor? And do you have access to a tractor and implements? Are you willing to spend $750 or so annually to plant for seed fertilizer and fuel? If so, I'd def plant the entire 5ac as a destination plot, leave it unhunted during peak season, and pic 2 small (1/3 to 1/2 acre) areas to clear and plant as 'kill plots' that deer will hit in daylight and stage before moving to the big plot at night.

If you arent willing or able to plant, (or really... in addition to planting) I'd pick out 3 spots to clear-cut approx 2 to 3 acres in size to create additional holding cover and browse. Open hardwoods is not going to hold many deer, and it's far too easy to push them off the property just with normal hunting pressure. A few spots where deer feel safe is crucial to holding and growing older deer.

After those first two changes, it will take a couple years to fine tune the deers new travel routes within the property. Good luck, habitat management is the best part of deer hunting!
Yes the fields wouldn't be a problem to access with a tractor. I drive me truck up a gravel road into the field. I don't have a tractor but I might be able to borrow the neighbor I'm buying from. He's been good about letting me use stuff if I need it. I have a atv with a few attachments. I wouldn't have a problem spending money to make food. Blessed with good soil in the area. Last year, my 5 kill plots that are 0.18-0.53 acres all had ph of 6.3-7.2. I've been working on my 29 cutting 2 acre sections to create better bedding. I will need to look at clearcutting some. Talking with state forester last year, he suggested clear cutting my place in 5 years. I have 27 dustan chestnuts to plant that I bought at rural king few months ago for 2.75 ea.

There is some good 3.5+ y/o bucks that roll through in Nov/early Dec. Here is some pics from this year.

1672069670584.jpeg

1672069678578.jpeg

1672069694831.jpeg

1672069702030.jpeg

1672069707894.jpeg

1672069717949.jpeg

1672069726601.jpeg

1672069731194.jpeg

1672069738091.jpeg

1672069745500.jpeg

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
First of all Congratulations!! That's awesome that you were able to increase your acreage....I agree with Megas plan...I especially love the idea of creating multiple thick areas that are designated as refuge or sanctuary area's...give deer quiet places to go where they are never pressured....and if your budget allows you to plant the 5 acres great....but another option is to keep a portion of the field in early successional natural growth.....then plant a portion of the field rotating in your warm and cool season plots...think variety and diversity....and if you have closed canopy forest areas thin those areas and allow sunlight to the forest floor and you may be able generate some timber income to apply to the other projects.....from the way you have described the property and surrounding area it sounds like you have a great opportunity....enjoy the process...it takes time to transform a property and there will always be projects to work on but habitat work is so rewarding when you see wildlife respond.....keep us posted on your journey! Congrats again!
Thank you! He offered me the entire 119 w/cabin but i can't afford that at this point. He did say that in 5-7 years, if I wanted the rest then, I could buy it.

KirkB

Yes the fields wouldn't be a problem to access with a tractor. I drive me truck up a gravel road into the field. I don't have a tractor but I might be able to borrow the neighbor I'm buying from. He's been good about letting me use stuff if I need it. I have a atv with a few attachments. I wouldn't have a problem spending money to make food. Blessed with good soil in the area. Last year, my 5 kill plots that are 0.18-0.53 acres all had ph of 6.3-7.2. I've been working on my 29 cutting 2 acre sections to create better bedding. I will need to look at clearcutting some. Talking with state forester last year, he suggested clear cutting my place in 5 years. I have 27 dustan chestnuts to plant that I bought at rural king few months ago for 2.75 ea.

There is some good 3.5+ y/o bucks that roll through in Nov/early Dec. Here is some pics from this year.

View attachment 161916

View attachment 161917
View attachment 161918
View attachment 161919
View attachment 161920

View attachment 161921
View attachment 161922
View attachment 161923
View attachment 161924
View attachment 161925
All good deer!

deerhunter10

That's awesome.
me personally, cover and food. New properties for me it comes down to time how much time can i spend doing it and getting stuff done. I would start a project and finish it before you start another. Not standing a foot on the place i would put clover in the fields and start working on cover.

trout

Wow! This is a tremendous blessing for you and your family. I wish you all the best in 2023. Like you, I have been working on my own 30 acres for the last 12 years. I have made several habitat improvements. My most successful changes have been opening the canopy to create thick natural feeding and bedding areas. I recently started adding small food plots. My land holds a few bedding does with daily use is by several others does. A few young bucks are common. I typically see buck pull centered around the rut which usually includes a few 3-1/2 bucks and sometimes a big buck will show himself.

The best advice that I received was to give the deer whatever they are lacking naturally. Adjoining property lacks water so I added a waterhole. Soil is acidic and rocky so I added lime and fertilizer to plots. Made mineral licks with dicalcium phosphate, trace minerals, and vitamins to help with herd health. Good luck!

Bushape

Congratulations. Must be an awesome feeling. From the pictures of your land it doesn't appear that you have any real marketable timber other than some pretty big poplar. The land to your east sounds more user friendly while the West is up in the air and could be problematic in the future with multiple hunters being involved. I have no idea but if your current timber is large poplar and scrub underneath then I might be tempted to look into getting valuable timber growing. I know people don't like pine but they grow quick, have some value, and provide a lot of cover.

Last edited:

Latest posts