The ONE thing I like about winter logging

BSK

Years ago when they did aerial spraying we too lost some trees to one side of the powerline.... assume due to drift?....but it looked horrible.....the following year we were going to add some new food plots and the thought came to my mind about them spraying from above so I researched and found out they had a specific position for vegetation management.....so I called.....guy was very cool to talk too and I explained that we were planting food plots and didn't want them sprayed.....he kinda laughed and said not to worry...the aerial spraying didn't go over very well and they wouldn't be doing that again....allot of angry landowners.....not sure if that pertains to only our area or in general? But only spraying they do on us now is spot spraying.... curious to see how they manage it this year....it's been a couple of years and it's due.
I haven't actually seen them spray, so I don't know if they are now doing it from the ground. All I know is the entire ROW gets hammered after they come through! Everything but the grasses is dead. Even the blackberries get hammered, so they're using a mixture that is more than just Imazapyr.

BSK

Another picture showing how quickly regrowth starts in spring and early summer when logging is done in the winter. Amazingly, the vast majority of the ground-cover in this picture is pokeweed and ragweed, two plants very high on the deer food preference list, especially in late summer and early fall.

Attachments

• logging10.jpg
    logging10.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 63

BSK

I think we're going to see enough regrowth by fall that deer will be using the cuts for both food and cover. That's a couple of years ahead of schedule! I can thank this wet weather.

Latest posts