Logging

Boll Weevil

I've seen/heard of many instances of spontaneous combustion of hay/silage and barns burning down over the years but never logging slash/debris. The other day I was cleaning up a log deck and pushed off a giant pile of bark and limbs that had been there maybe 2 mo and I'll be danged...steam came off it.

About 730p yesterday I get a text "Are ya'll burnin?" with this pic. Uhhhh no. 2 days ago I'd talked with my forester about a burn plan but we weren't planning on that til Jan-Feb but hey...looks like we got a jumpstart! :cool:

97% humidity last night, mid 50s, and rain rolled thru this morning about 5a. Daddy's headed out to take a look and loggers will be back onsite shortly but I'm thinking everything turned out ok.

1697724556275.png

Boll Weevil

That was my first thought but like any fire, could have been cause by any number of things. I called it in about 10a so crews have been onsite babysitting it till it burns itself out. Pumper trucks, about a dozen firefighters, and a pair of dozers but it's contained. Now to find out how it started. 🧐

BSK

Cool picture Boll Weevil. Most of the timber I had cut a couple of years ago was 80-year-old White Oak. That's why we made so much for the logs.

Attachments

• logging2.jpg
    logging2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 45

Latest posts