Logging Insurance Question

Jarred525

I am pondering bringing a logger back into my place that has done work for me in the past. Top notch guy. He has drastically shrunk his operation (just him now and maybe one more person from time to time) and informed me tonight when we were reviewing the contract he is no longer carrying insurance as he cancelled it awhile back when he got out of logging for a little while to work something else.

In your opinion, can I carry any language in the contract that would protect me since he does not have insurance or should I stay away?

Southern Sportsman

Depends on what you are trying to protect yourself against. His injury while on your property? You could probably disclaim liability for that. But if while there he damages your property or your neighbor's property or someone other than he or his employee gets injured - you can't protect against that. Without insurance, if he can't personally write a check for any damage caused, you're either going to be stuck with it (if your property gets damages) or you are ultimately going to be liable for it (if anybody else or their property gets damaged). Logging is one area I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing in a guy without insurance. Too many things can go wrong.

CAW

I have been in the insurance business for almost 20 years and have seen this scenario play out many, many times. NEVER hire anyone to do any work on your property, your house, etc. that does not have general liability insurance and workers comp. Also - make sure that if they use subcontractors that they have the correct coverage for that or that the subs have their own insurance. I would also make sure that your liability protection is adequate based on your assets. Personal umbrella policies are cheap and can bail you out big time. Don't mess around with this stuff, it can cause you significant financial pain.

Jarred525

Thanks guys, you just verified my fear and I really appreciate the input. I really hate it since he does such good work and is trustworthy. I am going to try and talk him into getting insured.

Latest posts