Clover question

rem270

I had about 1-1.5 acre food plot last year consisting of buck forage oats and mixed throw and grow in it. Best food plot I've ever had. I was able to seed it thick and it came up great. About 1/4 acre of it has clover growing in it now and in one area and not spread out amongst the old plot. I'm talking so thick that it's pretty much 100% clover with no grass in it. It's really tall right now and the deer are wearing it out. Should I cut it down as high as I can or leave it alone? My plan is to plant the oats and throw and grow again this year and was also going to do a couple spots around it with clover. With this clover now looks like I already have what I was needing in that. Just not sure if I should leave it be or try and cut the tops off of it. It's probably 12''-18'' high.

JCDEERMAN

I'd personally leave it. Anything you do to clover in this heat will stress it, and it will be here for a while. Let the deer do that part. I'd say by the end of the summer, it will be down enough, whether from deer browse or summer wilt from heat, that you'll be able to broadcast your throw and grow come fall. 12-18" is providing great shade for underneath moisture.

megalomaniac

If its throw and grow, it's an annual clover. I would bushhog just the spent flowers/seed heads to more evenly reseed the plot. Cut it HIGH

Latest posts