Logging?- Sumner County

treefarmer

Contact yourTN Div. of Forestry Area Forester and they can get you a list of loggers. Better yet they can visit your property and give you free advice on managing your forest. If you have a fair amount of wood to be cut hire a Consulting Forester to sell the timber for you. They charge 8-10% but get you that back in better bids. They measure the wood volume, determine a fair price you can expect, go for bids, write a contract, oversee the logging and cleanup. Your Area or Consulting Forester can give you good advice on how to cut - avoid diameter limit cut or Select cut where the logger selects because you will be left with the trees of no value. I've used both foresters over the years and am glad I did. We have had two sales in the last 3 years. I sold my timber through Arbor Springs Forestry located near Dickson. If you have much acreage consider getting a management plan and joining the Tree Farm program (free).

tnpig

Thanks, only have about 35 acres but very mature clean woods, goal is to improve the habitat and create more room for food plots, thanks again

Stick'n'String

Never worked with him but have been provided his info by several people. Doug Spain - (61five) 8one2-nine6nine4

Where is your place tnpig? We have 50 acres in sumner near beech hs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huntaholic

treefarmer":3df7xbpm said:
Contact yourTN Div. of Forestry Area Forester and they can get you a list of loggers. Better yet they can visit your property and give you free advice on managing your forest. If you have a fair amount of wood to be cut hire a Consulting Forester to sell the timber for you. They charge 8-10% but get you that back in better bids. They measure the wood volume, determine a fair price you can expect, go for bids, write a contract, oversee the logging and cleanup. Your Area or Consulting Forester can give you good advice on how to cut - avoid diameter limit cut or Select cut where the logger selects because you will be left with the trees of no value. I've used both foresters over the years and am glad I did. We have had two sales in the last 3 years. I sold my timber through Arbor Springs Forestry located near Dickson. If you have much acreage consider getting a management plan and joining the Tree Farm program (free).
As a 3rd generation logger, let me say youre painting with a mighty big brush there. I have never logged a piece of property that wasnt better diversified for ALL wildlife when I finished it. Also, I advise the OP to not ignore personal references from people he knows, and properties he has seen logged by these foresters in favor of the tn forestry dept. like you advise. I am not on any "list", instead I let my record of past jobs do my advertising for me.

treefarmer

Huntaholic is correct, I am painting with a broad brush and as a member of the Tennessee Forestry Association don't mean to disparage loggers. I recommend you contact the Area Forester to help you learn about managing your forest and what your options are to achieve your goals and learn about your forest. Are there Beech or Sweetgum trees that need to go? Do you have some young forest that is big enough to cut but is growing well and need a few more years? Do you have some dry ridgetops that would be best in pine? You want to be able to tell a logger what work you want done. If you decide on selling some timber it will be difficult to attract loggers for a small sale so use any means to find a logger you can that will do what you want, including loggers recommended by others. If a sale isn't feasible, consider doing some of the work yourself with a chainsaw and herbicide. Every winter I go into our woods on weekends and get rid of weed trees to improve the forest. Cost share programs such as EQIP are available to pay for some of this work. Good forestry = good wildlife.

Boll Weevil

treefarmer":2qxvux3w said:
Every winter I go into our woods on weekends and get rid of weed trees to improve the forest.
Same here and it really is an amazing transformation to watch. A forest will absolutely respond in a healthy way to crop tree release and wildlife thrives. It's hard work but the short and long term benefits are great.

Stick'n'String

Found another name Browns Custom Logging and Sawmill. He's off Garrison Branch near New Hope Road and Tyree Springs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts