Winter Plot/Cover Crop in Riverbottom Ag Field

PatBoCam

First time poster. My family recently acquired property along the Elk River in southern middle TN. It includes a 20 acre crop field in the river bottom that we currently lease out to a guy who farms it in the summer with corn/soybeans, but it lays fallow in the winter due to flooding. We had a wildlife biologist come out and make some recommendations for wildlife habitat on the property. He suggested planting a winter cover crop in the riverbottom ag field to help prevent soil erosion during the winter floods and also serve as a winter/spring food source for wildlife.

My question is the timing of this planting. I've read it is typically best to get plots planted in late August to early September. He suggested a good mix of wheat, oats, peas, clover, and some brassicas. If we need to wait until the farmer harvests the summer crop which can be anywhere from September to late October, would there still be enough growing weather before winter really sets in to make this a worthwhile investment? Does anyone have experience trying to use an ag field like this?

We aren't looking at doing all 20 acres because a significant portion stays flooded all winter. Also cost is a factor in how much we can do. We do have good numbers of deer and Turkey out there already and think we may be able to get ducks to really use it too by doing this. Any advice is appreciated.

nwsg76

Have it drilled right behind the combine if possible. October 15 is the end of most official seeding dates but can push another week or so.
You can look into aerial seeding also. Aerial seeding work over soybeans just before the leaves drop. Contact your local NRCS office for assistance. Its very likely that the farmer can get financial assistance and may have specific rules to follow.

DoubleRidge

Different situation that yours but we planted soybeans for a summer plot....deer hammered them....so we broadcast a fall blend in late September/early October and was fortunate to get a couple of nice rains....greened up nice..... another thing you might consider is talking with the farmer to see if he could possibly leave some corn standing.....one area in flood zone for ducks.....and some on higher ground for deer....may have to compensate him for the portion he leaves....but it could be and opportunity for your management plan.....then drill or sow fall blend into area he harvest as soon as he leaves......green fall plot with standing corn (or beans) sounds pretty good.

hard county

I doubt you can get a crop that will be used by ducks in your timeframe. Japanese millet is the quickest maturing but I doubt even that would be enough. I would target deer and put out a cereal grain. Wheat cereal rye or oats.

BSK

Have it drilled right behind the combine if possible. October 15 is the end of most official seeding dates but can push another week or so.
You can look into aerial seeding also. Aerial seeding work over soybeans just before the leaves drop. Contact your local NRCS office for assistance. Its very likely that the farmer can get financial assistance and may have specific rules to follow.
What nwsg76 said.

Mid-October is pretty close to a cut-off date, depending on weather. Because locally this property received no rain from mid-August through mid-October in 2019, plots were not planted until October 15th. Below is a picture of one of those plots October 24th, just before Juvenile Hunt. Eventually, the plots got up to 6-8" in early November before the deer hammered them back down to just a few inches by late November. Because it was so late in the growing season, the seed mixture was a very simply and cheap one of Wheat and Crimson clover. Would that planting in mid-October help to hold soil, and do some feeding of deer? Yes, but just a little.

Attachments

• Plot_Oct24.jpg
    Plot_Oct24.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 62

JCDEERMAN

While on this topic of using aircraft for habitat solutions, has anyone ever done a herbicide application through this method? I have heard it is surprisingly cheaper than one would think. I have a TWRA buddy that has seen it used on timber cuts that weren't managed properly and got out of control.

BSK

While on this topic of using aircraft for habitat solutions, has anyone ever done a herbicide application through this method? I have heard it is surprisingly cheaper than one would think. I have a TWRA buddy that has seen it used on timber cuts that weren't managed properly and got out of control.
I had a client do an aerial spraying of pines from a helicopter (imazapyr). I provided GPS outlines of each pine plantation to give the pilot/applicator the most accurate spraying locations.

nwsg76

It is not as expensive as you would think. But that is driven by the size of project. It's is best to have at least 100 acres to spray at one time and in one location. Then best rates are given when working with bigger projects in the area. Cost varies but expect something around $80 to $120/ ac depending on chemicals/rates needed.

PatBoCam

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I like the idea of leaving standing corn in some areas, and knowing the october 15th cut off date is very helpful. I will discuss with the farmer about how he can work this into his schedule with the goal of getting the summer crop harvested and cover crop planted as early as possible. I'm looking forward to joining this community and learning from the very knowledgeable folks on here.

Latest posts