White oak log prices

SALTMAN

Has anyone sold any lately? Seems they are the chosen ones due to the distillery use these days . I'm trying to get an idea of they are worth in layman terms , I.e. A 20 in diameter (on first cut end ) ten foot long . About how much is it worth ?

Os2 Outdoors

Very very little white oak can be used by the distillery, it must be 3 clean sided staves.

Your log is worth about $75 normal market value. If it made staves it might bring upwards of $150

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

treefarmer

Timber per tree isn't a lot unless you have a veneer grade log. You make real money when you have 20 acres of them. If you have 10+ acres I suggest you use a consulting forester to administer your sale. They charge about 8% but you get it back in better prices and they make sure the logger has insurance and the clean up is what was expected. You also know the value before bidding and get paid before the trees are cut. If you only have a few acres a logger doesn't have enough work to bring in $1M in equipment, so you'd need to find a logger working in the area and strike a deal. Try to do some chainsaw work before the cut or just after to kill the undesirable elm, maple, hornbeam, etc. so they don't make your next forest. Avoid diameter limit cut if you can (high grading).

treefarmer

Diameter limit cut is where every tree above a certain diameter (usually 16") is cut. This is probably the most common form of timber harvest in Tennessee. Many people think the big trees are the old trees so if you cut only the large ones you think you can have a harvest and 10 or 20 years later you can do a diameter limit cut again because the mid sized trees will have grown to the large size. There are several problems with this. First, frequently all trees in the forest are the same age so if you cut the biggest trees you are leaving behind stunted trees that lost the height war in the forest and they don't resume growing rapidly after the bigger trees are cut. I cut a 75 year old 10" tree on my property and there are 18" trees of the same age nearby. Secondly, In my Humphreys County forest the big trees are White, Red and Chestnut oak and Poplar trees. The understory trees are elm, maple, hickory, sweetgum, sourwood, etc so they will be the next forest. Third, if you only cut a few trees per acre oaks will struggle to come up from seedlings because they require full sun to thrive and a thinning won't generate full sun so the shade tolerant trees will take over - the elm, maple, hickory, sweetgum, sourwood, etc. We recently sold timber and we divided it up into four 10 acre areas instead of one 40 acre parcel and are having it clearcut. Some perform a select cut but you need a knowledgeable person to do the selecting for you otherwise the oaks and poplar may be the only ones selected because they are the money trees. If you are interested in learning more there are several ways - Attend free Healthy Hardwood field days in the spring (contact ag. extension), join the free Tree Farm program (contact Tennessee Forestry Ass'n. in Nashville), join the closest County Forestry Association ( ag. extension or Tenn. Forestry Ass'n.) or ask for a free visit from your TN Div. of Forestry Area Forester. In the last 25 years I've learned that forestry isn't intuitive and there is a lot to learn. There is a lot you can do to improve your forest if you can learn a little about forestry.

pass-thru

Bucket":gsdibw62 said:
treefarmer":gsdibw62 said:
Avoid diameter limit cut if you can (high grading).

Would you mind expanding on this please? Thanks!

Another reason a diameter cut might not be desirable, is that different species peak out at different diameters. I you are cutting poplar at 16", you are throwing away a lot of cash. They grow fast and not too far into the future they would be worth a lot more. A lot of pine on the other hand, may never reach 16"....virginia pine, scrub pine, crowded pine, etc.

When I mark trees to cut on our property, I mark injured/sick, crooked and undesirable species first, regardless of value. Then I look to what goals I'm trying to accomplish. In my part of the country loggers cut a lot of pulp, and the last ones we used had a chipper. So nothing goes to waste, even the branhes and laps are chipped, leaves and all. If there is no pulp market in your area, a timber cut is a lot trickier to plan, as nobody is going to put a lot of work into something for no pay.

SALTMAN

Thanks guys , we have a lot of big poplar also so I guess I need to bring in a professional to help access . Tree farmer , would it make sense to do 20-30 acres and see how it looks, pays etc. before turning anyone loose to do all 50-70 acres ? Thx again for your knowledge . Joe

treefarmer

It's hard to say without a professional looking at it. Two sales has a couple advantages; since a timber harvest creates great habitat after the first cut you can spend a few winters getting rid of unsalable junk trees in the second harvest area so they don't become part of the next forest and also, you get income in two years so it doesn't push you into a higher tax bracket. The best advice comes from your TN Division of Forestry Area Forester who will visit your property and spend an hour or so with you and give you unbiased advice. I learned 90% of what I needed to know about managing our property that way. We have another 40 acres to cut and I'm waiting 5 years between sales so I extend the time we have a new forest growing. One sale has the advantage of a little better price because the bigger the sale the more timber buyers are interested and it lowers their costs by only getting set up, and moving equipment in and out one time.

smalljawbasser

I would second contacting your forester. They know everything there is to know. They won't tell you what the monetary value is, but they'll tell you if what you have is worth fooling with, and the best way to go about it.

Best of all, it's 100% paid for by your taxes already. If you can't find who your forester is, your UT extension office can tell you.

pass-thru

treefarmer":19xw9ixs said:
you get income in two years so it doesn't push you into a higher tax bracket.

Aside from AMT implications, aren't you getting capital gains treatment on your timber income?

treefarmer

My mistake, make sure you do like Pass-thru said and claim the timber income as a capital gain. Basically when you bought or inherited the property the value (basis) was part land and part timber. When you sell the timber you only pay the difference between what you paid/received for the timber and what you sold it for. Even if you don't know what it was worth back then it is still a capital gain which is taxed at a lower rate. A good source of info. for this is http://www.timbertax.org/

treefarmer

An additional word on timber taxes. Although I'm not in the tax business I've attended a timber tax seminar, a class, a talk on timber taxes and have read many publications on timber taxes. The first thing you need to do is decide if you are a recreational land owner (few acres owned for fun, not profit), an investor (most landowners), or in the business of growing timber. Avoid recreational ownership because there are very few tax benefits. An investor would be the person with more than a few acres of timber but less than a hundredish acres and you get to accumulate all your timber (and wildlife ?) related expenses over the years and deduct those when you have a sale which is very seldom. I attended a talk on timber taxes at the Dickson County Forestry Association 5 years ago and after the talk the Ag. Extension forester/tax expert convinced me our 300 acre Tree Farm is a business because we make money every year but we are leaving the profit on the stump to be sold in a later year. I thought I needed regular sales but he told me that isn't the case. As a business I can deduct every year all expenses related to forestry and wildlife including mileage, purchase of seed, fertilizer, 4-wheeler, chainsaw, disc, property taxes, etc. If you are an investor or business you need to show you are in it to make money and the best way is to have a management plan that states a goal of growing timber. This is one good reason to join the free Tree Farm program because you will have a professional management plan that states growing timber is one of your objectives. If you are an investor or business keep good records - I keep a log of date, purpose of visit, miles, money spent and keep receipts. Timber taxes are not easy and most accountants are unfamiliar with it. I use the Turbo-tax Business(?) software because it knows what timber is - regular and middle grade Turbo-tax don't handle it very well. Even if you don't do your own taxes learn a little about it so you can tell your accountant a thing or two when you sell timber. I doubt a kiosk tax service at the mall could handle it. Regarding the capital gain - about 6 months ago I searched the internet and I think it works this way: If you are in the 15% tax bracket before capital gain it is taxed at 0% until the timber sale pushes you into the next higher bracket (25%?) at which time your additional timber capital gain is taxed at 15%. I'm not totally confident in this - it's just my take on it. Too many people make the mistake of calling your timber sale regular income and the tax preparer doesn't know any better to tell you otherwise.

Hunter 257W

Regarding considering timber sales as Capitol Gains, how do you establish the value of the timber at the time you bought the land? You have to have some defend-able method for separating out the land value vs. timber value at the time of purchase to be able to calculate what your capitol gain is at the time you log your land. All I can think of is to try to find the sale price of comparable land in the area that was sold right after a clear cut???

pass-thru

Hunter 257W":21dd783y said:
Regarding considering timer sales as Capitol Gains, how do you establish the value of the timber at the time you bought the land? You have to have some defend-able method for separating out the land value vs. timber value at the time of purchase to be able to calculate what your capitol gain is at the time you log your land. All I can think of is to try to find the sale price of comparable land in the area that was sold right after a clear cut???

You can have a qualified forester submit evaluations. I don't believe it's necessary though. If you own the land for at least a year, and the cut on a pay per load basis, you should be good. I have heard of getting evaluations for the purpose of having timber cuts treated as a reduction in basis.....which would result in no tax to the extent basis is reduced. If that's actually legal. If you sell the stumpage as a boundary, I'm not sure what hoops need to be jumped through to get capital gains treatment.