Winchester model 70 featherweight

Cannonball1

I have a Winchester model 70 featherweight in 7mm WSM that was bought in 2002 when they first introduced the WSM cartridge. After doing some research I found out that Winchester installed the red recoil pads on the WSM for the first release only and in 2003 switched over to the black Pachmayr pad on all the WSM's. They did use the red pads on the Winchester Super Short Magnums, but not on the WSM calibers. The source of this information came from the 2003 Winchester catalog in case anyone was wanting to know. I'm not sure if this has any impact on the value but I wanted to mention it. I am trying to find out what the value is on this rifle. It's in very good condition with less than 20 rounds through it. I have been searching Gun Broker, Guns America and Gun Auction for well over amonth and haven't seen any Model 70 featherweights in 7mm WSM. Can anyone help with this or recommend a source for information? I am putting some pics below of the rifle, I know how much the scope is worth and was wanting rifle value only. I appreciate any help with this, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4409.jpeg
    IMG_4409.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4410.jpeg
    IMG_4410.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4411.jpeg
    IMG_4411.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4412.jpeg
    IMG_4412.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4413.jpeg
    IMG_4413.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4414.jpeg
    IMG_4414.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4415.jpeg
    IMG_4415.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 91

mr.big

Me and my brother and Daddy bought a 270 7mm and 300 WSM from the same store at the same time. They all have the red pad. I may be wrong but I thought they were made the last year of production in New Haven. But it could have been the first year of the WSM.
I gave the 270 to my oldest son, the 7 and 300 are still unfurled

Snowwolfe

Only way to determine the value for sure is to list it on Gunbrokers. Go for a 14 day auction and start it at one penny.
The 7 WSM is most likely the least popular of the 3 WSM's. Brass for any of them is becoming more and more difficult to find.
Collector status? I doubt any of the 3 chambering will ever become collectible. Unfortunately you have a rifle that simply is not that desirable.
Having the original box and all the paperwork would help some.
If you included 100-200 pieces of new brass it would help to sell it for a decent price.
The best thing is Winchester just doesn't seem to have many rifles on the shelves in todays market. With an auction you might get lucky.

Last edited:

cbhunter

While yours has a very low round count, here is another statistic that makes the wsm's less desirable in my eyes at least. With that being said, that is one beautiful gun!

Attachments

• IMG_7878.jpeg
    IMG_7878.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 78

Cannonball1

Me and my brother and Daddy bought a 270 7mm and 300 WSM from the same store at the same time. They all have the red pad. I may be wrong but I thought they were made the last year of production in New Haven. But it could have been the first year of the WSM.
I gave the 270 to my oldest son, the 7 and 300 are still unfurled
Red pad was definitely made in New Haven. They closed the factory in early 2006. I wish mine was a .270 or .300, ammo is much easier to find for them.

Remi

I never figured out why the 7wsm didn't catch on. Mine is very accurate and recoil is not overly harsh. It's about the only magnum rifle I have left as I got rid of the rest.

That's a nice rifle you have.

If you are a reloader 300wsm is easily made into 7wsm with a false shoulder, charge and fire. The false shoulder prevents excessive case stretch on the first firing.

Tiny

Nice.. On the Red Thin Pad all of mine had em bought a year apart btw.. I want to say they changed over to the Packmyer in 05 n of course closed New Haven In 06.

Latest posts