Why is this happening?

maddhatter82

2-Step Enabled
6f9e2384aef856a09e157371839f5eb2.jpg

Savage 111 300 win mag only has 60 rds through it never really shot as good as my other savage rifles just thought it was me flinching or something to affect the shot. But now I'm wondering if it could have been an issue with the rifle all along maybe headspace off any input appreciated

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

JimFromTN

Are you shooting reloads or factory ammo? Have you looked at the bolt face to see if there are any marks on it? I had something very similar with my 300 win mag. It turned out be Winchester Magnum Rifle primers. I switched to CCI primers and it went away.

DaveB

I cannot really tell what is wrong.

If you fire a factory round and the primer falls out, do not fire the rifle again until a competent gunsmith examines the rifle.

Hunter 257W

You mean when you fire a factory cartridge and open the bolt, the primer is falling out? At 1st I was thinking you are a reloader and had deprimed the case and something else was wrong that I couldn't see.

If the primers ARE falling out when you fire, then do what DaveB said. Don't fire that rifle again without getting somebody who really knows rifles well to look at it!!!!!!! That is an indicator of extremely high pressure which could get you killed.

DaveB

The cartridge is not being chambered correctly, allowing the primer to back out. Not firing it again was an extremely good thing for you to have done.

This is actually kind of serious. Seeing as how its a Savage I am wondering if someone tried to replace the barrel or do something with the barrel and did not use the guages to get it back to where it belongs.

You need to see a gunsmith right away.

And be sure to head to Church this weekend.

maddhatter82

2-Step Enabled
Nothing was done with the barrel as I bought it new. Talked to savage and they said to send it to them with a description of what is happening and they would look at it and if it was a warranty issue they would fix it if it's not a warranty problem they would let me know how much to fix it

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

JimFromTN

What was the brand of ammo? Did you save any of the other brass? If so, can you see any with loose primers or are the any marks where it blew out around the primer? Did any of them stick and were hard to eject? Could be bad ammo or a chambering issue. It would suck if they held onto it for 6 months and then sent it back saying it was an ammo issue.

JimFromTN

I am highly suspect of the ammo. I am assuming that Winchester uses their own primers in their ammo. I had a very similar case reloading using Winchester Magnum primers. The weird thing is that I had shot several hundred reloads using those primers, all from the same lot, before it started happening and once it started happening, it was every few rounds. Its almost like Winchester Magnum primers have a shelf life.

Hunter 257W

I had a weird similar thing happen with some of my reloads a few years back. It was a favorite load in the 25-06 that I had used for years. I don't recall the exact load, and it's not important anyhow, but it was with a Nosler partition bullet and I had used this load for deer for years. Suddenly I went to check the zero of my rifle one year before deer season and the load was way over pressure all of a sudden. (These were cartridges that had been loaded for several years, by the way.) The bolt handle was real hard to lift, primers leaking around the edges, ejector hole imprinted on case head and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I even put the 25-06 aside and switched to using my 270 to hunt with all that year. I finally figured out what was going on when i decided to pull some of those bullets. There was bad corrosion in the necks of the cases which acted to partially bond the bullets to the case and cause a big pressure spike. I had to really get rough with the kinetic bullet puller to get a few bullets out to discover this. I finally fixed the problem by adjusting my seating die to barely bump the bullets deeper into the case - just enough to break the corrosion free so i could shoot those loads. As to the real root cause of the problem, I don't know what was different in that batch of components that caused the corrosion in the 1st place.

GOODWIN

Have had two primer pockets leak with Win Magnum Primers and Fed Brass. Not sure if it was the primers themselves or bad primer pocket on the brass. Since then I've been more meticulous with my pocket uniforming and switched to CCI primers. Not exactly sure what the real culprit was. No other high pressure signs on other rounds fired. One did take a bit of metal out of my bolt face. There was a little sphincter tightening going on the next few times I was shooting it though.

JimFromTN

Winchester isn't good about getting back. I contacted them about the primers and never heard anything back. After changing the primers, it never happened again. I have about 400 winchester magnum rifle primers if anyone wants them.

Latest posts