Brought my rifle home... this thing is a shooter!

DeerCamp

I posted a few months ago that my brother was building (with a well known gunsmith) a custom rifle for me. The caliber is .280 AI, and it's a little wild looking. It's built on a Ruger action, but everything else is custom, right down to the milled magazine housing and barrel.

I flew out to Texas and got it this past weekend. I could not be happier. It is shooting 131g Hammers at just a touch over 3,300 FPS. I also have some 150s that he loaded for longer range. The best group at 100 yards was .227 inches. It's essentially one ragged hole with 3 shots at that distance, but he says it can do a little better than that in better conditions.

20230522_192628.jpg

We drove down to a ranch not too far from Mexico to put it through some testing. The scope tracked perfectly, and it scored 1 shot steel target hits at 500 yards and 1000 yards with no problems, even accounting for a 10mph crosswind.

Then once I got comfortable with it, we were able to push it to a mile.

At a mile, we were dealing with over 1100" of drop, and 15 feet of wind drift. My first shot missed 6 inches left, but after a small adjustment, the second shot found the steel ram target at a bit over 1700 yards.

This rifle means a lot to me, and I got to spend time with my brother celebrating his 50th birthday. It was a great weekend. I flew home late Sunday and got in bed at 2:30 AM on Monday morning. I have been running on short sleep since then, but it was totally worth it.

Beautiful country too!
20230520_105803.jpg

20230520_091025.jpg

Last edited:

DeerCamp

Super nice rifle , mile shooting ha ha for me I'd need a bazooka . Great shooting brother glad you got to spend some time with your brother.
The hardest part about shooting a mile is accounting for all the stuff you never think about inside of 500 yards. Temperature and Altitude are big factors. The second hardest part is finding a place to do it.

I would never shoot at an animal anywhere close to that distance, though I'm confident I could scare the crap out of one at that range.

DeerCamp

About 2 seconds at that speed with larger projectiles (150gr @2,500-3,000fps)
5 seconds at subsonic load range (1100fps)
By the time this round gets to a mile, it has slowed to 815 fps. The slowdown on the trip there means it takes about 3.3 seconds for impact.

It's still supersonic to 1400 yards though.