Who does conversions?

Andy S.

Jeff Fisk (bestill creations custom muzzleloaders) did the last few for me, but I had to really negotiate and press forward for the last one (2020). I think he worked me in due to me being a repeat customer, as well as a random texting buddy, but I am not sure I could get in today. Those guys have ran off and left me in the dust, building match shooting 15# custom bolt action SML for use in 600+ yard matches. My SML and my needs (accurate, lightweight, nimble, deer hunting) are like child's play to them. I say this to help others manage their expectations when talking to them. Best of luck, keep us posted on your journey as we could all likely learn something from it.

Last edited:

Jcalder

Jeff Fisk (bestill creations custom muzzleloaders) did the last few for me, but I had to really negotiate this last one (2020). I think he worked me in due to me being repeat customer, but I am not sure I could get in today. Those guys have ran off and left me in the dust, building and match shooting 15# custom bolt action SML in 600+ yard matches. My SML and my needs (accurate, lightweight, nimble, deer hunting) are like child's play to them. I say this to help others manage their expectations when talking to them. Best of luck, keep us posted on your journey as we could all likely learn something from it.
Those custom guns is what they're after. Doing a conversion is like boil it seems lol. When I was following all the builders and fisk decided to reduce his workload, it really mirrored what you said. Repeat customers and custom builds that really got his interest. Most of the builders it seemed like would work a conversion in when they could. Fisk done one around 17 or 18 for me and I had it back in under 2 weeks. Centerpunchusa done my last one and I thought I was gonna have to hunt him down. Work was fine, communication once he got my barrel was zero. Last I heard, Hankins was outsourcing his conversions to a guy around Maryville I believe. Not slufoot. It's been a few years since I've followed any of them as they used to have a smokless group on FB, but I ditched that mess lol

recurve60#

Do you have a gun to convert? If not, what are you considering? What will the application be? Woods hunting, field hunting, etc?
Its my brother looking, but no, he has nothing to convert. He wants to talk to a converter to learn what he needs to acquire to bring to him. I was thinking there was a member that does conversions??

recurve60#

Those custom guns is what they're after. Doing a conversion is like boil it seems lol. When I was following all the builders and fisk decided to reduce his workload, it really mirrored what you said. Repeat customers and custom builds that really got his interest. Most of the builders it seemed like would work a conversion in when they could. Fisk done one around 17 or 18 for me and I had it back in under 2 weeks. Centerpunchusa done my last one and I thought I was gonna have to hunt him down. Work was fine, communication once he got my barrel was zero. Last I heard, Hankins was outsourcing his conversions to a guy around Maryville I believe. Not slufoot. It's been a few years since I've followed any of them as they used to have a smokless group on FB, but I ditched that mess lol
Who is slufoot? A member here?

Dully

Its my brother looking, but no, he has nothing to convert. He wants to talk to a converter to learn what he needs to acquire to bring to him. I was thinking there was a member that does conversions??
Tim's builds smokeless ,he only uses Remington m 700 muzzle loader to build ,i have one shoots really good,pm me if you want his number

Hduke86

They can go from budget friendly builds that shoot great to say 300 yards which is just a base yardage. They can be be wildly expensive that shoot lights out at 800-1000 yards. For my needs and budget I went with Hankins. I found a CVA Scout V2 in 45-70 stainless with a muzzle brake on it already and just sent the barrel off to Hankins. I'll say the price of a NEW CVA scout v2 45-70 and for him to do the work on the barrel was ballpark range of about $900-$1000.

Jcalder

They can go from budget friendly builds that shoot great to say 300 yards which is just a base yardage. They can be be wildly expensive that shoot lights out at 800-1000 yards. For my needs and budget I went with Hankins. I found a CVA Scout V2 in 45-70 stainless with a muzzle brake on it already and just sent the barrel off to Hankins. I'll say the price of a NEW CVA scout v2 45-70 and for him to do the work on the barrel was ballpark range of about $900-$1000.
Sometimes he has them already done. That would be the best route to take. But you're spot on price wise. And I wouldn't take that for mine.

Hduke86

Sometimes he has them already done. That would be the best route to take. But you're spot on price wise. And I wouldn't take that for mine.
Yea when I called he told me he had an order for some 45-70s but had no idea when he would get them and told me if I could find one on my own that I could just send the barrel

GMB54

Remage and nut barrel conversions will have a smaller shank than a typical Rem700 barrel so dont push it on loads. 40cal is not as forgiving as 45cal either. Large shank Savage is still larger than a 45/70 Scout but use caution. Small shank and Remage is nearly the same as a CVA Scout. Just slightly over 1".

The other issue IF its a MLII conversion is the 209. 209 bushing plugs can erode quickly and LRMP conversions for the MLII are not as good as a CF action plugs. The plugs Luke was selling had a longer flame channel than the CF plugs. Still a pretty cool setup as long as you are not going after the BIG BOOMER loads.

The 240gr Fury OTs can be shot plenty fast in any of the 40cal conversions at a very affordable price point too.

Hduke86

If I am reading that right, Hankins' conversion cost is $400-500, is that correct? The assumption is Scout V2 45-70 is $500 or so.
B204D8D1-1F94-4F4C-8F48-F3C83C64A534.jpeg

Latest posts