When to get out of your Stand?

BHC

Just depends on time of yr.. Early season I have a hard time stayin in stand after 10:00am, because at this time deer are on feeding patterns. Most deer movement is morning, evening, and night. I simply know my chances of seeing deer are lower after that time. However as difficult as it is to stay I know that once the rut roles around if I am to see a deer after that time, chances are it is a buck, and a good chance it's a 2.5 + yr old buck.. My best advice is to hunt until 1:00 and take a break until 2:30 and go back until dark.. Or for a half day hunt, stay until 1-2pm, or get there at noon and stay until dark.. I do not follow this as I should.. I usually hunt daylight to anywhere between 9:30 & 11:00.. And from about 3 until dark..
It takes discipline and mental toughness to put in those kinds of hrs...
I have stayed in the stand from daybreak to dark on two occasions, and it really wears on you...
The day you do it and kill a big buck mid afternoon will probably be one of the most fulfilling hunts you ever have..

dsa5455

I come out at 11:00 am if I can make it that long. From 10 o'clock till 11 am is one tough hour to stay in the stand. Just seems like the clock in my head says it's time to quit but it has paid off for me and the guys I have hunted with.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Here is the perfect answer. Get out when you feel like it. You signed no contract and your life or the size of your danglies does not depend on you killing a deer. So, if you are bored, tired, cold, wet or whatever and want to get down...do so. Who cares?

fourwheeler431

bowriter said:
Here is the perfect answer. Get out when you feel like it. You signed no contract and your life or the size of your danglies does not depend on you killing a deer. So, if you are bored, tired, cold, wet or whatever and want to get down...do so. Who cares?

That's my thinking as well.

ImThere

bowriter said:
That has to be my 1 of my top 10 bowriter posts. 100% agree

Mag

2-Step Enabled
I usually get out of my stand about 30 minutes after I shoot a deer. :)

deerhunter10

Depends early season I try to sit to 9-930 when rut is in I sit all day a lot or come out just to stretch or change stands or get a little something to eat. Just all depends on how I feel really I try to stay though til at least for sure 9-11 in the mornings and about 3 hours in evenings. Just all depends

southernhunter

BSK said:
flyinpro said:
On another post below, I got to thinking about reasons to get out of the stand. I like to sit most of the day but normally get down if the wind shifts, I get busted or need to use the can. What other reasons why you might decide to climb down?

Where I hunt, if I got out of my stand every time the wind shifted direction, I wouldn't be in my stand more than 5 minutes.

I get down once I get bored. If I'm bored, I won't be paying attention, and deer will easily slip past.
same here

SMarshall

jakeway said:
The places I bow hunt early season the deer are headed to daytime bedding areas, so I usually hunt dawn till about 9:30 am. Afternoon is from when I get there until shooting light is over.

In rut I try to stay all day or until an hour after I shoot one.

Same here.

For the working man who hunts when he can and stays in the stand as long as the schedule allows........sometimes it means coming down with deer in sight....
But typically......for filling the freezer...If the deer haven't shown up by 10:00am we come in to "dine and recline"
When horn hunting...our trail cams indicate...12:00 to 2:00 PM are good times to be IN the stand....Some of our guys have started sleeping in and sitting from 11:00 am till last shooting light

BSK

ImThere said:
bowriter said:
That has to be my 1 of my top 10 bowriter posts. 100% agree

X2

Latest posts