What was your worst death?

ROVERBOY

Shot a doe in the spine once. I aimed for the neck but, missed. She was dead in a few seconds though.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
I shot a 6pt with a bow once the shot was a little back liver shot buck ran 65yards. I could see the buck from the tree but could not get a shot to save my life. He just layed there and tried to get up and fall down I was tore up. I took my climber down the tree trying to get a clear shot but I couldn't I set there for about 2 hours watching this deer before I couldn't take it no more I got out of my stand and sneaked up to where I could get a shot to finish him. Now I dont rush my shots I have let a lot of deer walk because of this but I try not to let it happen again if I can.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

reloadxx... Just a tip if that ever happens again....Climb down immediately and finish your deer. I shot what may have been my biggest buck so far and he dropped like a rock. He laid there and then began trashing and trying to drag himself. It looked like I had hit him back and high in the spine. After I saw he wasn't going to die soon I lowered my rifle and began to climb down. Between beginning my descent and getting to the ground he had regained his feet and stumbled off into a cane thicket. When I got to where he had fallen there was almost no blood and more of a watery substance. Evidently I had hit him just under the spine but above any organs. The shock had knocked him off his feet and reacted just as if he'd been spine shot. Almost no blood trail at all and I looked for several hours and never found him. As I trailed him down a narrow section of woods towards it's ending in the corner of a big bean field being worked by the farmer at the time the farmer stopped and told me he had just seen what sounded like my buck chasing a couple of does out of that corner of woods. I'm surmising my buck went on to live his life as usual even though being shot just a couple of hours prior to that. That "near" spine shot may put them down but if they regain their feet they may be gone forever. Shoot again.

MUP

Solid advice Mike. I've made a point to keep my sights on a downed deer for sever min after knocking one down myself as I've had them rouse back up and go further after appearing to be dead. And with a ML, I reload ASAP and try to do the same.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
Mike Belt":zc8h0f5w said:
reloadxx... Just a tip if that ever happens again....Climb down immediately and finish your deer. I shot what may have been my biggest buck so far and he dropped like a rock. He laid there and then began trashing and trying to drag himself. It looked like I had hit him back and high in the spine. After I saw he wasn't going to die soon I lowered my rifle and began to climb down. Between beginning my descent and getting to the ground he had regained his feet and stumbled off into a cane thicket. When I got to where he had fallen there was almost no blood and more of a watery substance. Evidently I had hit him just under the spine but above any organs. The shock had knocked him off his feet and reacted just as if he'd been spine shot. Almost no blood trail at all and I looked for several hours and never found him. As I trailed him down a narrow section of woods towards it's ending in the corner of a big bean field being worked by the farmer at the time the farmer stopped and told me he had just seen what sounded like my buck chasing a couple of does out of that corner of woods. I'm surmising my buck went on to live his life as usual even though being shot just a couple of hours prior to that. That "near" spine shot may put them down but if they regain their feet they may be gone forever. Shoot again.
You are right Mike I will for sure go out of my way to make sure no deer ever suffers. Lesson learned I was young just started hunting with out my dad and just didn't know what to do I was worried if I started walking to him in the leaves he would get up with adrenaline pumping and I would loose the deer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

csi-tech

I've been lucky. Worst ever was a very low brisket shot. He trickled a little but absolutely lived. I maimed a doe's front shoulder with an arrow. She limped for years after that. Every other shot was successful with under 50 yard recoveries.

Old cull buck hunter

I gut shot a spike and the internals were hanging outside the body and got tangled in a briar thicket while the deer was trying to continue running. I never thought about giving up on hunting, but I started putting more time into shooting.

Duck dogn

#1 I was walking out and see a nice buck on a ridge, so I prop up get a shot nothing clean miss he walks about 15 yards stops and I send another one, he falls flipping and rolling towards me so I set and ait for him to expire, ok he done I lean my gun against a tree cause I have to climb a steep hill about 50 yards to get to where he is laying against a tree (not moving) he jumps up staggers into a run only to never see him again.
#2 hunting a field edge I see a buck running in and out of rolls of hay chasing a doe I let out a bleat/grunt to get him to stop let the muzzy roll he falls I reload and look at him in the scope nothing walk over to him bout the time I get there he lets out a sigh and his eyes where watering.
3rd buck is the little nine point I have mounted it was raining and and he walks in front of my hunting house I let the arrow fly hit high but looked descent, found fletchings and approx 6 inches of shaft no deer or blood due to rain, next morning I go hunting same place here comes a buck can't tell much about it other than he looked smaller than the buck from the evening before :oops: so I choose to not shoot. He gets alot closer and I see my arrow sticking up out of out of his back so I shoot him perfect in the heart when I field dressed him his stomach cavity was full of blood he wouldn't have made it much longer all three of these was within two or three years I about said forget hunting!

Latest posts