That was fun!

bigtex

Been kind of a tough season for me this year, had total hip replacement the Monday after opening day of Archery season, two weeks later the wife and I both came down with Covid so only got to hunt a couple of times.
Hunted opening day of M/L and saw a couple of Spikes and a few Does, that was a fun hunt!
Hunted three more times and only saw one young Doe. I was getting a little frustrated and told the wife yesterday morning that it looked like I wouldn't be putting any meat in the freezer this year.
Went yesterday afternoon and had just got settled in and the same young Doe came out. About 30 minutes later the flood gates opened! Deer were coming out everywhere. Counted two Spikes and five Does. I was surrounded with Deer on all sides, they had me pinned down good!
The two Spikes kept me entertained, they both thought they were bad a$$es lol. They were both pestering one of the Does, she wasn't having anything to do with either one of them. Then they would have a little shoving match with each other.
I looked up on the ridge in front of me and caught movement about 80 yds away, I slowly brought my binocs up and saw it was a Buck. I only had a side view of him and knew it had 4 points on one side so decided to shoot him. Knowing I wasn't able to drag him far I decided to shoulder shoot him, He fell at the shot!
I walked out and got my sidexside and deer cart. I had made a hitch for the cart and was able to tow it behind the wheeler. Luckily I was able to get within 20 yards of the deer so my drag out was short.
Not the largest Buck I've ever killed but after a crappy season I was tickled to death and felt blessed to get him.
deer1.jpg
deer2.jpg

Latest posts