Interesting and fun morning

backyardtndeer

I try to get in my stands about 30 minutes before legal shooting light. Was running about 5 minutes behind this morning, but made it to the stand plenty early and didn't bump anything on the way. Closed my eyes and said a prayer like I always do, and when I opened them a light caught my eyes off to my left. Saw it for a second again and realized it must be a flashlight. Whoever it was I watched as they walked within probably less than 100 yards of me before I didn't see the light anymore. I never heard them ride in. They bumped a crap load of turkeys off the roost.

First deer I see right after light is a doe , then a little buck. Then I have another doe come out and I am getting notifications on my watch that my cell cam, back up the hill over my back field, has activity. At that time I didn't even look at my phone to see what was on it because I was looking at other deer out beside and in front of me.

Within a few minutes I have another doe to my right and I see a big body behind her. Looks to be a good buck, I take a quick look with the binoculars, he is a really nice 6 point and maybe mature. I get my rifle up, I had him in my scope and crosshairs settled right behind the shoulder, and through the scope he looks to be a solid buck. My immediate flood of thoughts were, if I kill this deer now, my son may get more discouraged, and it would be a nice one for him for a first deer. Then also thought if I don't kill this deer now, it is going to walk across onto this other property and whoever is over there will definitely not let him walk. Then felt like it might be somewhat rewarding to kill this deer in front of whoever came in over there, but knew that was wrong of me to think that way. I have watched deer do their thing down here for over 25 years and so often they cross the channel.

I decided to set my rifle down and shoot the deer with my phone. I took my glove off pulled my phone out and hit record. He got behind some brush and when he stepped back out I shot more video. The doe that was out ahead of him ended up taking a right turn and taking him with her, which kept him on our property. Yes, my decision may actually pay off. I will get my son back in the stand again this afternoon, and hoping this pays off for him. Sorry the video is a little shaky, but it was pretty cold.

This is the same deer at my cam a little before he got in front of me. Thinking he is likely a 3.5 year old.
23112506301001002775.jpeg

23112506302201002776.jpeg

backyardtndeer

Good luck! I really hope your son gets a crack at him or anything that makes him happy!
Thank you. He really wants to kill a buck for his first deer. He has had opportunities on does pretty well every time we have gone. He is high functioning autistic, and really tries hard to be still but only so long he can stay still. I take his Nintendo switch to try to keep his hands busy, helps but he still struggles to be still. He has done great at being quiet though.

I believe this 6 that I passed this morning was at least a 3.5 year old, what do you all think?

Ridgeline300

Thank you. He really wants to kill a buck for his first deer. He has had opportunities on does pretty well every time we have gone. He is high functioning autistic, and really tries hard to be still but only so long he can stay still. I take his Nintendo switch to try to keep his hands busy, helps but he still struggles to be still. He has done great at being quiet though.

I believe this 6 that I passed this morning was at least a 3.5 year old, what do you all think?
I agree at least 3.5 again good luck and just keep at it and he'll get one!

Latest posts