What is with adults using youth guns to hunt turkeys?

rem270

I have been hunting with a 20 gauge since 2017. Mine is a compact 870 that has inserts in the butt pad to increase the LOP. I am 6'1", and it fits me just fine. So why the switch? Mine is two fold. One is the size and weight difference when climbing steep hills trying to get the right setup on a gobbling bird. The maneuverability of the 21" barrel and the weight is super nice. The second reason is reduced recoil. I had back surgery in 2017 and a blown out disc in my neck in 2019. Call me what you want, but I don't want to think about shooting a 3.5" 12 ga anymore because I don't have to. In 2019, I even loaded my 20 ga shells with a reduced payload to reduce recoil even more as the doctor really didn't want me to be shooting a gun at all.

So what am I giving up by doing this? Nothing in my opinion..........my current setup shoots a pattern at 40 yds just as good or better as my 3.5" 12 ga shooting #6 longbeards.

I say to each their own and really doesn't matter what others think. I am not trying to impress anyone. I just like the the size, weight, and recoil reduction without giving up anything. It will kill a turkey a lot farther than I should be shooting at one.
It's all about what you're comfortable shooting and how it feels to you. That's all it is to it. If everyone shot the same gun the best there would only need to be one brand of gun made. I shoot my SX3 so much better than I ever have my 870 super mag. So that's why I use my X3 100% of the time. The whole measuring peckers over 12 ga vs 20 ga vs 410 has gotten ridiculous.

rem270

now was that necessary? i like changing things up. why limit myself to one gun/caliber. not into fads. enjoy messing with all kinds of guns. understand where spur hunter is coming now
If he swapped to a 20 ga tomorrow all the ones that still shoot a 12 would be a googan and the biggest idiots ever. See the trend here? ;)

cowhunter71

The Great One has spoken folks. Debate and discussion is over. The Great Cowhumper, Lord of the Turkey Woods has made his decision. Put those 20s, 16s, 28s, and .410s away forever, you bunch of wusses.
With this being said, I leave in the morning to head South. At least 2 of the 6 days I'm hunting, I'll be totin my way old school Model 42 410, with a fixed full choke, shooting 11/16 ounces of lead 71/2's. For the record, I have been doing this for over 40 years down there, so go easy on me. 😀

Spurhunter

With this being said, I leave in the morning to head South. At least 2 of the 6 days I'm hunting, I'll be totin my way old school Model 42 410, with a fixed full choke, shooting 11/16 ounces of lead 71/2's. For the record, I have been doing this for over 40 years down there, so go easy on me. 😀
I think what you are saying is you were a new fad wuss turkey hunter way before it was cool? 🤷‍♂️

elknturkey

Weight was a big thing for me. Walking 10 miles in Kansas is different than walking 10 miles and gaining 2000 feet in elevation so weight is huge for me. Same reason I don't wear boots and use light hiking shoes. 2lbs off your feet is a massive difference at the end of day. The second biggest reason is when sitting and trying to bring the gun up to shoulder the recoil pad would hang up on my vest and I'd have to move the gun away from me then up and then to my shoulder which was a lot of unnecessary movement.

As far as being lethal there's nothing to gain by using 12s today. A 1200fps pellet out of a 12 is no different than a 1200fps out of a 20 so the people that tout their 3.5" inchers must not understand simple ballistics. Even pattern wise I gain very very little shooting tss out of a 12 vs 20. My 12 runs about 380 in the 10 and my 20 is around 350. There's just no advantage to carrying a 12 now. Just like it makes no since to carry a 10 over a 12. It did 25 years ago but not now

Doskil

As far as being lethal there's nothing to gain by using 12s today. A 1200fps pellet out of a 12 is no different than a 1200fps out of a 20 so the people that tout their 3.5" inchers must not understand simple ballistics.

You put more tss pellets on target with a 3.5 12 (or whatever). Nothing more or less.

elknturkey

You put more tss pellets on target with a 3.5 12 (or whatever). Nothing more or less.
Yeah when you start counting 20 inch and 30 inch circles but again it's so minimal it's not even worth discussing. If you miss with a 1 5/8 oz load a 2oz load ain't going to help. And I've patterned more guns than about any body other than the shot suppliers. Tss is a waste to shoot in a 12 anyway and I done it for years. If I was going back to a 12 I'd use longbeards

Levee Jumper

Why so serious... you guys are killing me.

On a side note I've got a H&R 10 gauge with a 36" barrel that you can pair with 2 1/2 oz. of TSS 8's if you really want to kill one deader than dead and get a work out at the same time.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled

"Down there" you can hardly see farther than 20 yards, from what I understand. No need for "turkey" anything, gear-wise (chokes, shotshells). Excepting a turkey call, no doubt.

cowhunter71

"Down there" you can hardly see farther than 20 yards, from what I understand. No need for "turkey" anything, gear-wise (chokes, shotshells). Excepting a turkey call, no doubt.
All depends on where you "sit down" with one. 410 's are more of a traditional thing with us. My opening weekend spots are tight quarters, 20 yards max. Other ground I can set up within 40.

Jbird22

Yes, but adequate is all that matters. The same can be said for deer rifle calibers.

I went to a 20 ga/TSS 5 or 6 yrs ago and it hammers em with the 1-5/8 oz load I shoot. At the same time, I plan to use my old 12 ga with a 3" 2 oz TSS load some this year. It might be a bit excessive but, simply put, it's what I want to do.

Shoot whatever gun/load you're confident with as long as you're not crippling gobblers.

Spurhunter

Yes, but adequate is all that matters. The same can be said for deer rifle calibers.
I almost posted this same comparison but didn't want to dirty the waters anymore than they already are. Should we all be shooting .300 Win Mags? Sure, a .243 or 7mm-08 or 6.5CM will kill them just as dead with less weight and recoil, but those are wuss guns. 😂

RoyalPrudent

Yep. A tss at a certain velocity is a the same no matter what gauge it comes out of.
That would be true for one pellet, but would be compounded by every extra pellet that hit. That was my point, but I don't think I made that very clear.

Latest posts