What is with adults using youth guns to hunt turkeys?

NChunt1

I wouldn't go back to carrying a big heavy 12ga through the turkey woods if you paid me you especially wouldn't catch me shooting a 3 1/2 inch shell when I can be just as deadly if not more with my 20ga with tss. Now for wing shooting or clays I would never use a youth gun I need a full length of pull and a gun that fits me. Same reason why I like using my Remington model 7 short action when I'm hunting in a tree stand compared to my 700 long action, it's just more compact.

megalomaniac

Huge size and weight advantage (10-15% shorter, and 20% lighter)

potentially 6-7inches shorter overall length of the firearm (1-1.5in stock plus another 5-6 in shorter barrel). Say what you want, but a firearm an extra half a foot shorter is simply much more manuverable in the woods, quicker to reposition on flanking birds, less likely to get hung up on brambles/ briers, etc.

Combine the shorter overall length with a firearm who's reciever is often build lighter/ smaller and there can be a significant weight reduction (usually 2lbs or more). Miles per day adds up to a couple hundred miles hiked per season, and over time that helps. Plus, the lighter weight makes it easier to position the firearm and even shoot one handed, leaving the other hand free to work a pot, scratch leaves, etc.

If one isn't sacrificing clean/ ethichal killing power by going with a smaller firearm, why would anyone choose to hunt with a heavier/ more cumbersome firearm is the real question?

The only downside... the shorter barrels don't throw quite as dense a pattern (often more fliers from the ultra short barrel) in my experience. TSS makes up for that (I get the same pattern from my 21in bbl 20g #9 TSS 1.5oz as my 26in 10g 2 or 2.25oz (I can't remember) #7 15g/cc heavyweights)

cm1021

Why does it matter honestly? Fighting among hunters are what will destroy hunting. It gets so old watching people question what every other hunt does. If it's legal, so be it!! With a "youth" gun and tss, you have a more compact package. Maybe you've never been in a situation where your trying to cover ground through thick vegetation, or scrunched up next to a tree and can't get all comfortable. You take your full size, 30" barrel, 10ga to your blind in front of your feeder and others will run and gun with their youth guns. How's that sound?

Tom Collins

I wouldn't go back to carrying a big heavy 12ga through the turkey woods if you paid me you especially wouldn't catch me shooting a 3 1/2 inch shell when I can be just as deadly if not more with my 20ga with tss. Now for wing shooting or clays I would never use a youth gun I need a full length of pull and a gun that fits me. Same reason why I like using my Remington model 7 short action when I'm hunting in a tree stand compared to my 700 long action, it's just more compact.
I only shoot 3.5 cause they don't make 4

RoyalPrudent

The shorter length of pull and over all shorter length makes it easier to maneuver. Also, it
Is lighter weight to tote long distances and all day. I've got a regular size shotgun and compact I take. To each their own.
I hate to be canterous, but if you can't tote a shotgun with a sling over some distance, I'm not sure your heart can take the adrenaline of turkey hunting anyway.

REN

I hate to be canterous, but if you can't tote a shotgun with a sling over some distance, I'm not sure your heart can take the adrenaline of turkey hunting anyway.

hahah, ok.

Is this a serious question where you are wanting info on why some might want to carry a compact gun in the turkey woods (no different why some want to carry a 19inch barrel gun IMO) or are you just trying to make a point that you find it silly?

I personally dont carry one but understand that some want to reduce weight and have a more maneuverable option in the woods.

man seriously WTF has happened to this group. seems everyday someone is trying to argue with another over ammo or now gun size among other things. Someone isnt man enough if they dont carry a 12 gauge or use certain things etc etc. This USE to be one of the more friendly groups on here with lots of help and info threads. Wish it would get back to that at some point.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
Hunting mountain land I've found youth size guns to be a little more comfortable when your legs can be even or above your waist or your having to move around the tree to catch a bird working past you on the ridgeline. I've used my kids mossberg 510 mini a couple of times and love the little gun (excepts it kicks like a mule). I still use my 870 Super mag and Express most of the time.

DeerCamp

My shotguns are all full sized, but my wife has a savage .243 that it pretty compact.

Every once in a while I'll take that little track driver out predator hunting, it's just so much easier to carry and move around in small spaces.

Latest posts