What is with adults using youth guns to hunt turkeys?

Southern Sportsman

Or buy an adult sized 12 or 20 gauge with a "short" barrel or install a "short" barrel in place of a longer one
The gun I wanted came in standard "adult" with a 28" barrel or "youth" with a 24" barrel. It seemed more logical to swap the butt pad than to buy a different gun or a replacement barrel or to pay a gunsmith to cut and re-thread the barrel.

It's not like people are buying Red Ryders to turkey hunt with. Again, the main difference between an "adult" shotgun and a "youth" shotgun is shorter barrel (which is what many people are looking for in the first place) and a stock that is 1" shorter. And they are usually a little cheaper (or they used to be). LOP is cheap and easy to modify. But if someone can't bring themselves to hunt with a "youth" shotgun, just don't buy one.

knightrider

I guess I don't see why it matters really? I am still shooting a SX3 12 ga with 3.5's but if I ever decide to go to a 20 or 410 do I need to put in a request to some HMFIC before I do? If so can someone tell me who that is? I'm sure there's a waiting list as long as the DMV.
I will go ahead and pre approve your request 😂

RoyalPrudent

that makes zero sense to me. What does the gauge matter if the payload is an ethical lethal shot. Most TSS 410 loads have the same pellet count as a 20 gauge lead load all while having better terminal energy. I dont carry a 410 but im just not following why you feel the actual gauge matters?

I also dont understand why you are hung up on someone over 5'6 shooting a gun with 1 inch less in the stock lol.
misfit stock is more likely to miss unless they use a sight.

If someone limits themselves to 30 yards with well-patterned shotgun w good ammo and choke then I would probably respect that, but I don't really get the necessity of 410 and 28. I think most 410's are ballistic nightmares.

And I love a 28, but I still wouldn't turkey hunt with it at all personally.

A turkey is too valuable to waste an opportunity simply b/c someone is trying to increase the difficulty. I wouldn't personally hunt with a bow either unless it was a bow only zone.

knightrider

If someone limits themselves to 30 yards with well-patterned shotgun w good ammo and choke then I would probably respect that, but I don't really get the necessity of 410 and 28. I think most 410's are ballistic nightmares.

A turkey is too valuable to waste an opportunity simply b/c someone is trying to increase the difficulty. I wouldn't personally hunt with a bow either unless it was a bow only zone.
Ballistic nightmare😂😂😂 thats not how it works😂😂😂

deerfever

Today's 410 is a nightmare, for the Gobblers that is! Most guys hunting with a 410 today are doing it with specialized guns that have been set up with choke tubes for TSS. This picture is lasered 35 yards on Feb 21 of this year, Stevens 301 T. I will not shoot over 30 yards most of the time with whatever I carry. 12 , 20 , 410 , they will all work if you pattern your gun and shoot within reasonable limits. Just hunt with whatever you choose and have a great season this year!

Attachments

• IMG_20220221_165259888.jpg
    IMG_20220221_165259888.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

REN

understood, but It seems most are using some sort of sight or rifle type sights these days if going to a compact gun.

Again I dont tote a 410 or 28 BUT I dont agree the purpose is to "make it harder". there is plenty of pattern proof out there with 410 and TSS loads at this point that prove it is VERY VERY effective out to 40yds with the right combo. EFFECTIVE being the key word there. Sure someone running around with a 410 and bird shot in a full choke I see your point but with the right combo its just as deadly as a 12 gauge inside each effective range.

Comparing a bow in there is not apples to apples IMO as the kill % is vastly different. If you have no desire to use them that fine and I understand that as I too dont really care to go down the other gauge path (excluding the 20 gauge) but know they are absolutely effective to use if set up right and they are AS effective as a 12 gauge at half the weight.

TN Larry

I have been hunting with a 20 gauge since 2017. Mine is a compact 870 that has inserts in the butt pad to increase the LOP. I am 6'1", and it fits me just fine. So why the switch? Mine is two fold. One is the size and weight difference when climbing steep hills trying to get the right setup on a gobbling bird. The maneuverability of the 21" barrel and the weight is super nice. The second reason is reduced recoil. I had back surgery in 2017 and a blown out disc in my neck in 2019. Call me what you want, but I don't want to think about shooting a 3.5" 12 ga anymore because I don't have to. In 2019, I even loaded my 20 ga shells with a reduced payload to reduce recoil even more as the doctor really didn't want me to be shooting a gun at all.

So what am I giving up by doing this? Nothing in my opinion..........my current setup shoots a pattern at 40 yds just as good or better as my 3.5" 12 ga shooting #6 longbeards.

I say to each their own and really doesn't matter what others think. I am not trying to impress anyone. I just like the the size, weight, and recoil reduction without giving up anything. It will kill a turkey a lot farther than I should be shooting at one.

RoyalPrudent

27/32 oz of 9 shot TSS at 1060 fps is the same out if a 410 as it is a 20 or a 12.

A 410 shooting TSS actually delivers more hits in a 20 than lead 5s out of a 12 in most cases but yet somhow it's a "nightmare"?
Pretty sure the 410 payload is 13/16 oz. Am I wrong? Whereas the 20 ga payload is 1.5 oz and the 12 is 2 1/4.

Last edited:

RoyalPrudent

understood, but It seems most are using some sort of sight or rifle type sights these days if going to a compact gun.

Again I dont tote a 410 or 28 BUT I dont agree the purpose is to "make it harder". there is plenty of pattern proof out there with 410 and TSS loads at this point that prove it is VERY VERY effective out to 40yds with the right combo. EFFECTIVE being the key word there. Sure someone running around with a 410 and bird shot in a full choke I see your point but with the right combo its just as deadly as a 12 gauge inside each effective range.

Comparing a bow in there is not apples to apples IMO as the kill % is vastly different. If you have no desire to use them that fine and I understand that as I too dont really care to go down the other gauge path (excluding the 20 gauge) but know they are absolutely effective to use if set up right and they are AS effective as a 12 gauge at half the weight.
My question in retort is: Is it more effective than a 12 or 20? If it is then it makes sense.

RoyalPrudent

I have been hunting with a 20 gauge since 2017. Mine is a compact 870 that has inserts in the butt pad to increase the LOP. I am 6'1", and it fits me just fine. So why the switch? Mine is two fold. One is the size and weight difference when climbing steep hills trying to get the right setup on a gobbling bird. The maneuverability of the 21" barrel and the weight is super nice. The second reason is reduced recoil. I had back surgery in 2017 and a blown out disc in my neck in 2019. Call me what you want, but I don't want to think about shooting a 3.5" 12 ga anymore because I don't have to. In 2019, I even loaded my 20 ga shells with a reduced payload to reduce recoil even more as the doctor really didn't want me to be shooting a gun at all.

So what am I giving up by doing this? Nothing in my opinion..........my current setup shoots a pattern at 40 yds just as good or better as my 3.5" 12 ga shooting #6 longbeards.

I say to each their own and really doesn't matter what others think. I am not trying to impress anyone. I just like the the size, weight, and recoil reduction without giving up anything. It will kill a turkey a lot farther than I should be shooting at one.
I'd say doctor's orders are a totally different situation.

paboom

Pretty sure the 410 payload is 13/16 oz. Am I wrong? Whereas the 20 ga payload is 1.5 oz and the 12 is 2 1/4.
Apex is 27/32 but of course you missed the point (perhaps on purpose?) But let's go with your number anyway. The same holds true. 13/16 oz at the same fps is the same energy regardless of the gauge. Physics 101.

Spurhunter

Because they are a bunch of "fad" crazed pu##ies, thats why. There, I said what they all won't admit. 😛
The Great One has spoken folks. Debate and discussion is over. The Great Cowhumper, Lord of the Turkey Woods has made his decision. Put those 20s, 16s, 28s, and .410s away forever, you bunch of wusses.

REN

My question in retort is: Is it more effective than a 12 or 20? If it is then it makes sense.

What do you consider "more"? If all 3 can effectively and ethically kill a turkey at 35yds isn't that the point?

So then the question is do you want to pay the $ for TSS and setting one up that's lighter and easier to carry or save some and just a 12 with a good lead load? Nothing wrong with either answer there but the point is there is no wrong or right to that question IF all 3 can effectively do the same job.

Latest posts