What is with adults using youth guns to hunt turkeys?

RoyalPrudent

I hate the whole hunting em with sub-gauges too. Turkey hunters are gettting as bad as fly-fisherman now. So you killed your turkey with a .410 and #8 shot, then you went trout fishing with your one weight and caught trout on a size 20 fly?

It's like robert ruark said, "Use enough gun."

Last edited:

Coker

I have both and will continue to use both.
Remington 870 youth with reddot scope and #9 TSS 3 inch (originally set up for my daughter)
Browning Maxus 3.5 Hevi shot #5
Both kill them graveyard dead.
I found last year that I carried the Browning for the 1st half and the 870 the 2nd half. The weight and compact size is what I like. Plus, the TSS have just as good of a pattern but slightly less range than my Browning. I hunt mostly woods so the range is not really that important ( Most shots are on average 25 yards).

Andy S.

I have used a small, nimble lightweight compact 870 20G (21" bbl, 6 lbs) to kill turkeys for several years now. Length of pull is the same as my old heavy cumbersome 12G, so it shoulders and shoots great, is just as deadly at traditional turkey hunt distances, with minimal recoil. It is a joy to tote when I have the 6-10 mile hiking days in the Ozark Mountains trying to locate a love-stricken gobbler to play the game.

REN

I hate the whole hunting em with sub-gauges too. Turkey hunters are gettting as bad as fly-fisherman now. So you killed your turkey with a .410 and #8 shot, then you went trout fishing with our one weight and caught trout on a size 20 fly?

It's like robert ruark said, "Use enough gun."

I'm not sure if this was serious or a joke. I'm not following how the stereotype of trout fishing folks compare to someone using a 20 gauge vs a 12. I guess I haven't seen where that same "my way is the only true way to do it" attitude towards it.

I mean dead is dead right, why do some seem to care that someone is using a lighter gun vs a 3.5inch tooth knocker? It's one for kids to do it but not a full grown adult. For this topic I REALLY don't understand why some care so much or how it's deemed "less traditional"

Sorry if you were being sarcastic though

drake799

I hate the whole hunting em with sub-gauges too. Turkey hunters are gettting as bad as fly-fisherman now. So you killed your turkey with a .410 and #8 shot, then you went trout fishing with our one weight and caught trout on a size 20 fly?

It's like robert ruark said, "Use enough gun.
Man I'm right there with ya I don't care what anyone shoots but man I'm sick of all the post about em lol. It's just the new fad in a few years hopefully we'll be on something else

Jbird22

Gotta hand it to ya Doskil, this was a well-played troll. At least, I hope that's what this was...;)

Southern Sportsman

When wing shooting, I'm very particular about length of pull. I added spacers between the stock and butt pad on my duck gun to bring the LOP to just over 15". With a turkey gun, LOP is less important. And I'm typically sitting leaning into the gun, so a shorter LOP is preferable anyway. I shoot a youth 20. The LOP from the factory is less than 1" shorter than the standard "adult" model but the youth version offered a shorter barrel — which I wanted. So I removed the factory butt pad, replaced it with a thicker butt pad, and now it fits just like a standard model but with a shorter barrel. If you picked it up and shouldered it, you probably wouldn't think it was a youth model.

Many people want a more compact gun for turkey hunting. The reasons should be obvious. Most "adult" guns have a 14" LOP. Most "youth" guns have a 13" LOP, but they are lighter with a shorter barrel. So for someone who wants to shoot a 20 ga anyway, youth model guns are often ideal.

But if you feel more deadly in the turkey woods carrying a big heavy gun, by all means . . .

Speedwell-Hunter

Is somebody forcing you to use one? I'm switching to a 20 gauge this year but it's not a youth model and am doing so because I want to. Still have my trusty 12 and may carry it a time or two or it may not see daylight.
Exactly

Hunting is hunting , why are there Karen's of the woods baffles me, let a man HUNT

Harold Money jr

I've used the 870 youth on several turkeys. It's a killer, I used #7 hevi shot and a Remington extra full choke tube. It killed every bird that I pulled the trigger on. I did however put a recoil pad for a better fit. I am using my 12 now due to getting a steal on several boxes of longbeard. When that runs out I'll check on finding another ammo deal it matters not if it's 12 or 20.

RoyalPrudent

I'm not sure if this was serious or a joke. I'm not following how the stereotype of trout fishing folks compare to someone using a 20 gauge vs a 12. I guess I haven't seen where that same "my way is the only true way to do it" attitude towards it.

I mean dead is dead right, why do some seem to care that someone is using a lighter gun vs a 3.5inch tooth knocker? It's one for kids to do it but not a full grown adult. For this topic I REALLY don't understand why some care so much or how it's deemed "less traditional"

Sorry if you were being sarcastic though
a 20 isn't the same thing at all as a 28 or .410. I really don't have problem with a 20, but I'd use an adults rather than childs if i'm over 5'6" or so.

Buzzard Breath

There's been some good points brought up in this thread.

I'm curious about this also. I know you can't compare a shotgun to a rifle, but I can't shoot my wife's deer rifle for squat because it's fit is so unnatural for me.

When I made my first post in this thread, I was thinking more along the lines of shooting a youth gun from a stable, fixed position because that's the only way I've ever shot a youth gun. I would say 99% of the turkeys I've killed have been killed with me being balled up at the base of a tree trying to look like a stump. I could see how a shorter length of pull wouldn't hinder anything, maybe even help. If I ever hunt with someone who uses a youth gun, I may have to give it a test drive. In the meantime, I'm going to keep using my 20 gauge o/u. It gives me the best of both worlds in terms of weight and overall length.

REN

a 20 isn't the same thing at all as a 28 or .410. I really don't have problem with a 20, but I'd use an adults rather than childs if i'm over 5'6" or so.

that makes zero sense to me. What does the gauge matter if the payload is an ethical lethal shot. Most TSS 410 loads have the same pellet count as a 20 gauge lead load all while having better terminal energy. I dont carry a 410 but im just not following why you feel the actual gauge matters?

I also dont understand why you are hung up on someone over 5'6 shooting a gun with 1 inch less in the stock lol.

Doskil

When wing shooting, I'm very particular about length of pull. I added spacers between the stock and butt pad on my duck gun to bring the LOP to just over 15". With a turkey gun, LOP is less important. And I'm typically sitting leaning into the gun, so a shorter LOP is preferable anyway. I shoot a youth 20. The LOP from the factory is less than 1" shorter than the standard "adult" model but the youth version offered a shorter barrel — which I wanted. So I removed the factory butt pad, replaced it with a thicker butt pad, and now it fits just like a standard model but with a shorter barrel. If you picked it up and shouldered it, you probably wouldn't think it was a youth model.

Many people want a more compact gun for turkey hunting. The reasons should be obvious. Most "adult" guns have a 14" LOP. Most "youth" guns have a 13" LOP, but they are lighter with a shorter barrel. So for someone who wants to shoot a 20 ga anyway, youth model guns are often ideal.

But if you feel more deadly in the turkey woods carrying a big heavy gun, by all means . . .

Or buy an adult sized 12 or 20 gauge with a "short" barrel or install a "short" barrel in place of a longer one