what is too fast

chunkandwind

My boat will run high 70's, low 80's depending on load.
I have rode in a Stroker and an Allison both running high 90's.
They are less danger than the big boats pushing the huge wakes
or the wake boarding boats and seadoo's who don't care about others.

SilverFox

My neighbor is a pleasure boater. I bass fish. They hate us as mich as we hate them. LOL

Life would be a lot better if both groups had a little sense. I've seen as many guys in bass boats that had no business driving as I have in pleasure boats.

catman529

60 mph must be a lot of fun, but I'd be happy to push my boat 30 and it would get me around the lake just fine. A bass boat going over 60 should not push much a wake at all, it's the half-plane/plowing boats at partial throttle that push big wakes. Also big boats like yachts. what also bugs me is boats that are too big for small rivers, mudding up the banks and seemingly taking over the whole water while just cruising upstream.

Hangnail

Too fast and big wakes are both a pain. One thinks they own the right of way and the other doesn't care. Doesn't apply to all, but most in these catagories. Hasn't changed one bit in decades, except there are more of both.

Mudbone

I like a fast boat, just not too fast! Used to have one that wod do over eighty, and it was too much like work to drive it that fast. I'm good with fifty.

caretaker

Urban_Hunter said:
caretaker said:
Oh by the way I use to fish torneys with a guy that had a 19 ft bullet with a 150. His hot foot pedal stuck when he was going into a cove. He tried in vain to turn the boat but it ran aground and threw him from the boat. He landed in the water. I witnessed this from shore. He drowned before we could get to him.Yes he had on a full face helmet and lifejacket.

When/where did this occur? Seems I remember hearing about that. I had a cable that came loose in my control, luckily I had plenty of time to react. I pulled the kill switch and knew I was in trouble as she came off pad... tail wake came right on over and swamped me and my gear.

This happened in the late 80

Headhunter

caretaker said:
Urban_Hunter said:
caretaker said:
Oh by the way I use to fish torneys with a guy that had a 19 ft bullet with a 150. His hot foot pedal stuck when he was going into a cove. He tried in vain to turn the boat but it ran aground and threw him from the boat. He landed in the water. I witnessed this from shore. He drowned before we could get to him.Yes he had on a full face helmet and lifejacket.

When/where did this occur? Seems I remember hearing about that. I had a cable that came loose in my control, luckily I had plenty of time to react. I pulled the kill switch and knew I was in trouble as she came off pad... tail wake came right on over and swamped me and my gear.

This happened in the late 80

He couldn't pull the kill switch or was it hooked up or did he even have one?

TN Larry

TN Larry said:
TNLynn said:
I would rather have a boat come by me 60mph plus than have one come by at half throttle making a two foot wave. I have never saw a wave from a high speed boat that would even come close to swamping any boat! When they are running top speed, there isn't enough boat in the water to make much of a wave!

Agreed. A bass boat at full throttle no matter how fast they are going is not throwing a wake to swamp a boat. Half throttle or the big ski boats and cruisers is what will throw a big wave.

Just to clarify, there is a such thing as going too fast and being wreckless. It all depends on the boat driver, conditions, etc, etc. The only point above is that a bass boat coming through on plane at 70 mph is not going to throw a wake to swamp another boat. A big cruiser or a boat at half plane can and will. I don't condone wreckless drivers, but just because a boat is going fast doesn't mean that it is throwing a huge wake.

Latest posts