What a Day part 2

bowhunterfanatic

In my previous post I mentioned my dad had 2 best friends. Since Monday went so well I figured I'd try to get the other of the 2 best friends to fish with us today. It didn't take any convincing with him. He drove up from N Alabama this morning and met us about 20 miles from the river. We got a bit of a late start but it didn't matter. They were on fire the first hour we fished. The bite slowed a bit after that but it was still steady and the size was good. We put number 30 in the livewell around 3:30 and called it a day. I got to hear some funny stories of my dad and "S" when they were growing up. Most of them I've never heard before. Once again today was worth 10x the price of admission. Outside of getting one more day in the boat with my dad I can't come up with a much better way to spend two fishing trips this week than with my brother and my dad's two best friends.
5CAE44FC-69FD-4D6A-9788-BCD365391FDD.jpeg

bowhunterfanatic

yeah its concerning to me. my brother is a supposed guide on the south end and he said they have fileted a little over 700 fish, mostly females. im afraid the resurgence may be short lived.
I told my brother Wednesday I wondered if the amount caught and kept this year would result in a downturn. Been a banner year, that's for sure.

WTM

I told my brother Wednesday I wondered if the amount caught and kept this year would result in a downturn. Been a banner year, that's for sure.
possibly. something else that kind of worries me is we are in a drought year again with low water turbidity. sauger need 3 things to successfully spawn, gravel/rock substrate, gradual water increase and enough water turbidity. 59 degrees is at the very top range for egg survival. hopefully it will stay within that 53-59 degree window while the water has some stain now and they spawn within the next week or two.

the years there were declines were during drought years.

Latest posts