What a day... PB Red

megalomaniac

Fished from 530 till 1030. Caught a few flounder and specks for supper at daylight, then headed way back into the marsh to chase reds.

Hung into a slob, I thought it was an alligator gar, had to tighten down on the drag a couple times to keep from getting spooled. He finally turned and came up... realized it was a huge bull red. Fought him for another 15 minutes till we were both about slap wore out. Buddy got him netted and I had to help him get the net into the boat. Snapped a few pics real quick, took a couple minutes to get him completely revived, but he was kicking strong and took off fast when I released him, so I feel good he survived.

No tape this long on the boat, but he was easily a foot longer than my 28in ruler, so I'm guessing between 40 and 42in. No scale, but pretty sure he is 30 to 35lbs. My buddy thinks he is 44in and just under 40lbs. But blows away my prior PB of 36in. Not sure what he was doing way back in the marsh bayous 3 miles from out front, but he made the trip!

No longarm pics... he is too heavy for me to hold out. His body is braced against my stomach. His head is bigger than mine... between volleyball and basketball sized

THEN, pulled the boat home 80 miles and was dropping my friend off. Backing into his driveway... holy crap the trailer wheel is about to fall off. No noise, no drag on the ride home. Bearings completely failed, disintegrated, and spindle scored and ruined. Plenty of grease and no water in the melted hub, so I'm assuming the trailer place that redid my trailing arms, bearings, and hubs 6 months ago over tightened the hubs on the spindles or I got defective bearings. We will see what they say Monday. But it's stuck in my buddy's driveway on a jackstand and we can't get the trailing arm off the axle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230722_150148_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722_150148_Gallery.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_20230722_145619_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722_145619_Gallery.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Screenshot_20230722_144801_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722_144801_Gallery.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Screenshot_20230722_145642_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722_145642_Gallery.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 163

scn

Beautiful fish!

The trailer looks like mine did after I clipped the gas pump protector trying to get out of a station in LA. It was dark, and didn't feel like much. We were several miles down the road when we saw the damage. Got it fixed the next day back to better than it was with some Cajun engineering.

Trailers suck.

7mm08

Great red!

Per my Dad regarding your boat…. You're luckier than a dog with three peckers! That could have been disastrous and involved more lawyers in MS than you can count! Wow

megalomaniac

Great red!

Per my Dad regarding your boat…. You're luckier than a dog with three peckers! That could have been disastrous and involved more lawyers in MS than you can count! Wow
No kidding... crazy lucky.... bearings must have completely disintegrated just a couple miles from the house, as the spindle wasn't grooved too bad (will still need complete replacement of the trailing arm/ spindle, hub, bearings, seals. Trailer was pulling perfect at 74mph on the interstate 10 miles before. I did hear a single metal sounding squeak from the trailer after hitting a small road imperfection 80 miles earlier, but it wasn't recurrent. Hubs were not warm after I pulled the boat from storage and brought it home Friday (I pick up my boat the evening before fishing to check everything- tire pressure, hubs, trailer lights, engine oil, hook the fuel line back up and start the motor in a bucket of water. Then load all my gear and ice chests in the cooler... so all I have to do is put ice in the boat and I'm ready to go Sat am)

We got everything disassembled early this morning. Had to cut the thru bolt that tightens the trailing arm onto the torsion axle. There was plenty of grease inside the hub and zero rust. This wasnt due to a bad seal and water getting into the hub. This was just a complete bearing failure due to excessive friction, either from cheap Chinese bearings or from them being over compressed during installation.

The thing is.... the trailer company I had to pay to cut off the old horribly rusted trailing arms and replace 6m ago insisted that they would not let the trailer leave their shop unless they replaced all the bearings and seals in the hubs despite my wanting to do all the bearings and seals myself... so... there's about 1500- 2000 miles on their work 6 months ago. When I contact them tomorrow, I'm expecting at least 50% discount on new trailing arm/ spindle, hub, and American made bearings. I'll provide the labor without expecting them to compensate me. Would be nice if they replace all destroyed parts for free, but that may be hoping for too much.

But you are right... im sure had it failed on the interstate causing a wreck, that trailer repair company would be in a world of hurt.

And after I get the starboard side redone, I'm pulling the port side and replacing those bearings the trailer shop installed myself, so I know it will be done right.

Close up of the groove on the spindle... had it failed earlier than just right before I got home, I would have expected much more damage to the spindle

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230723_110347_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230723_110347_Gallery.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 45

megalomaniac

Wow!
Be careful and of course sorry you had this happen.
SALT KILLS…. Speaking of such, do you use SALT AWAY and spray those hubs after a fishing trip ?
Yes... salt away motor flush and boat and hubs rinsed after every trip. This wasn't salt water. No water/ rust in the hub assembly (a little rust on the spindle after the evening rain last night after I disassembled everything). This was either defective bearings or over compressed bearings causing the failure.

Latest posts