What do y’all think this is?

WTM

if i lived in east tennessee i would put a filet knife to every spot i caught. a lot of those big spots folks are catching and releasing on video are not northerns but alabama spots. they will absolutely destroy a smallmouth and largemouth fishery and Adam Martin equates them to being worse than asian carp.

Hymie3

Definitely looks like a cross breed. More large mouth body but head for sure has a smallmouth look. Did you ask her what her pronouns were?

Madbowh

Just some random info, long time ago my buddy somehow came across a 2" largemouth and put it in a fish tank, lasted almost a year. The line on his side was always brighter for a day or so after he ate, if he hadn't eaten a lot he had no line at all looked just like your picture. Little sucker would eat shiners as big as himself. He wouldn't always eat right away he seemed to not like the chase, just wait and quick strikes at close range.

tdt5446

I thinking largemouth with an extreme overbite on the lower jaw. The upper jaw appears to be too short for any of the the 3 species to me. But then again, who knows?

WTM

here is a good article on meanmouths, the same that appeared in a knoxville paper couple years ago. that said i wouldnt go by coloration alone. ive seen bass, crappie, etc that come out of the water solid white in winter.

MCO8891

cant tell what it is without the jaws shut, and the dorsal and anal fins spread out to get a spine count. more than likely if its a hybrid there is no way to tell without a DNA test.
Exactly. It looks like a largemouth but it doesn't look like that jaw would extend past the eyes like a traditional largemouth. Definitely looks like a hybrid of some sort. More than likely a spot/largemouth hybrid.

Latest posts