what is too fast

caretaker

I did not wish to hijack Kirk`s post so I started another. Near Tragedy could be near death. Boats and motors have come along way. Both the boats and motors are being designed to go faster. At what point do we do like NASCAR and put restrictors on these fast boys. It ain`t no fun being in a 14 ft boat with a 9.9 motor and having a 20 ft 200hp bass boat swamp you. Also even a 19 to 20 foot boat can be swamped. I was on a 20 ft pontoon boat and had a high speed boat cut across in front of us. The wake came over the front of the pontoon. There are no brakes on a boat. It is a wonder that more tragedies and even death do not occur. Also I am in favor of a mandatory boater safety course. Too many idjuts operating toy they don`t know how to properly operate. Please feel free to agree or tell me to mind my own.

Unicam

Dunno but when I see guys with full face helments and neck collars flying across a lake, I get out of the way! I will say I run about 50 most of the time and have a top end of 65 fully outfitted with two people on board. I test drove a 21' Blazer with a 250 merc on it. At 75 on the GPS and more to go I decided I did not need a boat that fast, ever. Went with a 18.5' and a 150hp to get me there and back and have been happy ever since.

I think everyone should take the Coast Guard boater safety course. Knowing what all those markers on the water mean can save expensive boat repairs or a life. I have taken it three times over the years.

TNLynn

I would rather have a boat come by me 60mph plus than have one come by at half throttle making a two foot wave. I have never saw a wave from a high speed boat that would even come close to swamping any boat! When they are running top speed, there isn't enough boat in the water to make much of a wave!

Unicam

TNLynn said:
I would rather have a boat come by me 60mph plus than have one come by at half throttle making a two foot wave. I have never saw a wave from a high speed boat that would even come close to swamping any boat! When they are running top speed, there isn't enough boat in the water to make much of a wave!

True, I dont like the big cruisers pushing a wall of water either, but I also get out of their way as well. We all have to share the water out there and like anything else, head on a swivel and keeping an eye out is a must. I guess my opinion of the speed demons is by almost being hit twice by them on my home lake. Both times they were running inside of the left channel marker on a sharp point.

rsimms

Just so you know (in case you didn't), there already is a mandatory boating safety education requirement in TN... Any Tennessee resident born after January 1, 1989 must show the TWRA-issued wallet Boating Safety Education Certificate as proof of successful completion of the TWRA Boating Safety exam. See: http://www.tn.gov/twra/boated.html My guess however is that it is only selectively enforced, so far.

Obviously that currently only applies to folks 24 yoa or younger... but age limit grows each year.

And I agree... I MUCH prefer a boat going by at 60 than at half throttle (or the infamous cruiser that's drafting a 4-foot wake). :eek:

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I rode in a boat not long ago and we got up to 65 with plenty left.

For me, personally, that was too fast. :D

I had total confidence in the captain but just wasn't "at ease".

It is all about personal preference and personal ABILITY.

Even the most seasoned "captains" can not see a wave or whatever and end up in trouble but no matter what there will ALWAYS be those that feel they know it all and can handle anything.

So to answer your question, for me, anything over about 20. :D

Kirk

I have rode in an Allison Bass Boat with a 250 Mercury and we were GPSing at 87 MPH. This was a dual console so the sense of speed was not as obvious as it would have been in a non console passenger side. It scared the heck out of me. When on pad, the only thing touching the water is about two foot of the transom end of the boat and the foot of the motor. So actual water contact is minimal. Had we hit a wave at that speed we probably both would have been ejected from the boat.

Driving a car is not like driving a boat. Most roads don't have continually changing topography in the same spot. Imagine driving along a familiar stretch of road in your car at 80 miles per hour and someone sneaks a ramp in the road in front of you. You will go airborne. Same with a boat if you don't see a big wave you will leave the water.

I can drive a boat at 60MPH and still react to changes in the water. You have enough reaction time get out of the throttle and trim down if you are paying attention. At 70MPH that reaction time is a lot less. Anything over 80, you are on it before you realize it.

TN Larry

TNLynn said:

Agreed. A bass boat at full throttle no matter how fast they are going is not throwing a wake to swamp a boat. Half throttle or the big ski boats and cruisers is what will throw a big wave.

Urban_Hunter

.....I miss my Allison

Going fast comes at a risk, but in mature and experienced hands it is no different than any other boat on the water. I sold my Allison because I couldn't keep up with the bigger and heavier Stratos and Tritons. That's right! If you don't get first flight on morning tourney, you cant hammer through the chop like they can. And FORGET an evening tournament, 45mph felt like I was going to break the boat in half. Light and nimble only counts on flat water, and although I miss those teary eyes I was more happy on my 201 Pro XL, even if it was a boring ride.

BTW my 201 had a 225, but did not compare to the Allison... now I have a kayak LOL

AllOutdoors

Would much rather have a boat come by on step. Hate those big cruisers. While boats do not have brakes, some can stop very fast. My boat can stop fast enough to throw you to the front deck.

David

I have a 175 on my 19 ft. Now usually I don't get over 55-60, but have had it wide open... Once. Too much for me on anything that doesn't look like glass.

I'd agree with others I'd rather have a bass boat trimmed up making 80 come by me rather than a mastercraft slow down as they come past me acting like they are doing me a favor. I think they just don't realize that throws more wake than running it full out. Have to admit before I started fishing I never realized how bad some of those wakes can be

barkscaler

I have a 17.5' Sprint with a 200 merc.88mph wide open.Learned my lesson early on when I hit a ski boat wake doing 80mph.The boat jumped the wake and landed sideways.I was very lucky not to get thrown out and it cracked the transom.What ticks me off is when idiots come idling by with their motor trimmed all the way up.

stik

once upon a time I had one of those fast boats. I had the lake to myself one weekday morning and decided to see what it had. it pegged the 75 mph speedometer at 3/4 throttle and i'm guessing it was pushing 90 when I backed off. I sold it 2 weeks later. now, my little 25hp Yamaha pushes my 16 ft. alum polarkraft at 28 mph according to gps with 2 fishermen and gear. that's plenty fast enough for me.

caretaker

ok , I can see a division in opinions. Some think it is better to go 200 mph and make little or no wake and some think it is better to go 1 mile per month. I have a 14 ft tri hull with a 40 hp motor.I don`t know how fast it will go because I don`t have gps or speedometer.I do know I can get out of the way quicker in it than I could in my old 12 ft v hull with a 6. I was more concerned about safety issues than anything else when I asked the question.Oh by the way I use to fish torneys with a guy that had a 19 ft bullet with a 150. His hot foot pedal stuck when he was going into a cove. He tried in vain to turn the boat but it ran aground and threw him from the boat. He landed in the water. I witnessed this from shore. He drowned before we could get to him.Yes he had on a full face helmet and lifejacket.

Winchester

I would much much rather deal with a boat going fast VS the huge cruisers that send 4-6 ft waves all the way across the River/Lake in both directions! If a speed limit is needed, so is a size restriction for TN lakes/rivers.

caretaker

Winchester said:
I would much much rather deal with a boat going fast VS the huge cruisers that send 4-6 ft waves all the way across the River/Lake in both directions! If a speed limit is needed, so is a size restriction for TN lakes/rivers.

I agree with both speed and size restrictions. As the lakes and rivers become more and more crowded it is apparent that restriction and regulations will be needed.

infoman jr.

I just despise wakeboarding boats. I had one put a wake over the front of my NC last summer as I was fishing. I don't mind bass boats zipping around.

As for fast... I've ridden in a Bullet at 92mph. Fastest I've driven is a hair over 64 in my Norris Craft.

Urban_Hunter

caretaker said:
Oh by the way I use to fish torneys with a guy that had a 19 ft bullet with a 150. His hot foot pedal stuck when he was going into a cove. He tried in vain to turn the boat but it ran aground and threw him from the boat. He landed in the water. I witnessed this from shore. He drowned before we could get to him.Yes he had on a full face helmet and lifejacket.

When/where did this occur? Seems I remember hearing about that. I had a cable that came loose in my control, luckily I had plenty of time to react. I pulled the kill switch and knew I was in trouble as she came off pad... tail wake came right on over and swamped me and my gear.