Weird neighbors: would you do anything?

jb3

Sounds like mental illness. As for septic system, doesn't seem like a residence so I don't think that's required. Just like he's camping on his on land. He probably does need help, but maybe his caretaker (said woman) isn't able or doesn't want to do so. Seems like a sad situation.

BSK

I'd definitely get in touch with the SD. You want to be on record in case you are ever forced to take any action to defend yourself.
My only worry is one of the deputies knows them pretty well. The property had sat vacant for years, and then suddenly the off-gridders appeared. I went to the sheriff's office and let them know about it, in case they were squatters. Turns out they had bought the property and one of the deputies on duty knew them and assured me they were OK people. At the time, that was good enough for me.

But as you say scn, I probably need to be on record with what I've seen and heard, just for my own legal protection in case anything bad happens.

BSK

There are other residences about a 1/3 of a mile back up the road from them (mainly trailers). These neighbors might be into things they shouldn't be (*cough* Meth *cough*), but whenever I've seen then around and stopped to talk or introduce myself as their neighbor, they've been quite nice. I've been watching to see one of them out so I can stop to shoot the breeze, and then ask, "By the way, what do you know about our neighbor at the end of the road...?" I suspect the people who live closest full-time know a lot more than I do.

Talked to my brother who is an ER Doc, and he said it definitely involves drugs. He sees that kind of behavior out of addicts every day in the ER.

ttf909

THIS. Otherwise, mind your own business.
Mostly this , I'd try and buy it . That's what I do with the turds around my place However sometimes they don't give a hoot about money.
Sometimes minding y.o.b is difficult when they constantly harass you.
The judge told one of my dad's tenants that was getting evicted that you have a right to peace on your own land.

duckriver

1670545019348.gif

bigtex

I hate it for ya, sounds like a very bad situation.
Best advice I can give is to try and be patient. People like that usually don't stay in one place very long, they either just pack up and leave, get put in jail or die.
Good luck!

Polarkraft

Are you required by law to have septic in a rural area? This is very rural Humphreys County, southwest of Waverly by about 8 miles.
TDEC regulates septic. All but like 5 counties defer to the state for the regulation. So yea if it hasn't been installed by an licensed septic system installer it's going to be a problem. I believe Humphreys Co is run out of the TDEC Nashville Field Office I'd give them a call. 615 687-7000
Likely what ever is getting into the groundwater is flowing below your property to some extent, wether it be junk car oil and fluids or bodily waste / e-coil.

If they wanna fight it out let them. But don't let them get away with ruining your ground water.

Latest posts