Weird neighbors: would you do anything?

BSK

I've mentioned my weird "off-grid" neighbors before, but never explained just how weird they are. In fact, they are worrisomely spooky weird. They are a couple - I think in their late 30s to early 40s - that own one acre adjoining my property. At first, they lived in a big tent. Then they started accumulating junk vehicles (at least they never move) and I suspect they live in one of the vehicles (one is a van, another a tiny travel-trailer [and I mean tiny - no more than 6' long]). I have no idea what they do about water or sanitation. I see no outhouse or pit toilet. They have no electricity. After just a couple years, their one acre now looks like a junkyard. They live in squaller. It appears the woman no longer lives on the property full time but comes out most days around 8:00 AM. She's driving an Amazon delivery van and it's full of 7 dogs, which she releases onto their fenced property every morning when she arrives. The dogs then go ballistic, barking, yipping and fighting with each other. She then usually leaves mid-day but often comes back (bringing her dogs with her) most evenings, only to again leave just before dark.

It isn't their odd, dirty lifestyle that bothers me (to each their own). It is the behavior of the guy. I don't know if he has a drug problem or mental issues, or both, but on many days when his girlfriend arrives, he goes into a screaming rage. This isn't an "I'm pissed" screaming fit, it's pure insanity of rage. I can literally be a half-mile as the crow flies away from their property and still hear every word he's screaming. And most of that screaming is directed at his girlfriend. To say his behavior is verbally abusive would be an understatement. Much of it - and it goes on for an hour or more every day - is in the vein of: "I HATE YOU!!! WHY ARE YOU HERE?!!! LEAVE ME ALONE AND NEVER COME BACK!!! I BROUGHT YOU OUT HERE TO HEAVEN AND THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY ME?!!! YOU FAT F**KING B*TCH!!! Then things will go quiet for a few minutes, followed by, out of nowhere, "WHY ARE YOU SO FAT?!!!" (she is a big girl)

Screaming obscenities at his girlfriend is bad, but what really creeps me out is when he starts wailing like a child. And I'm mean full-on crying fits at the top of his lungs, "I JUST WANT TO GO HOME! PLEASE TAKE ME HOME! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE..." and this even tails off into "MOMMY... MOMMY... MOMMY..." It's freaking unnerving. I've gotten to the point I don't drive by their place without being armed. I have no idea what to do about this situation. My wife says the guy sounds insane and possibly dangerous. She wants me to leave the whole situation alone.

What are your thoughts?

Chapman

I think I would have to at least report them to the authorities about their lack of a septic system. Or let the sheriff department know about what is going on. Sounds like it could turn into a really bad situation. I don't think you should ignore it with them being so close to where you live.

Lost Lake

I wish I knew the proper way to handle it, but a talk with the Sheriff, (telling him exactly as you posted here), might be a good place to start. Maybe the Sheriff can background check them?

People have problems, some bigger and different than others, but I'd watch that guy like a hawk, and NEVER take your eyes off of him if by some slim chance he's in your presence.

WilcoKen

I feel bad for complaining about barking dogs now. Id go the environmental route. No septic and its got to be running off into groundwater. I had a neighbor literally dump an old demolished house 200' from our house. Took them 2 days to unload trucks and trailer loads into a burn pile they set on fire--toxic fumes from burning shingles blowing right in to our house. I called county and they came out and shut it down and made them clean it all up.

TheLBLman

One thing I would NOT do, is personally communicate with either the man or the woman.

For your own safety, you need to let other people directly address them.
You do not want this guy thinking you're the cause of all his problems!

Again, a conversation with your sheriff could provide good ideas on what to do next. He might suggest a social worker pay them a visit, etc.

Rakkin6

Call the cops everytime it happens and you hear him screaming/wailing etc. There is no telling when it could go sideways and it can happen quick. I am all for staying out of people's persona lives and I don't want to waste taxpayer money or officers time either but there is just something off. And I know me personally if something were to happen to him or her I would regret not making the call.

At worst nothing happens and they move

Specializedjon

There's a nice 338 win mag in the classifieds. I'm just sayin.

Agree with the others, I'd leave it alone if the girlfriend isn't being physically abused. I would definitely build my case (recordings, journal dates/times of the weird behavior, call the Sheriff, etc.) in the event you need to get "involved" or have to defend yourself. Calling the Sheriff would be my first suggestion, if nothing else to get it on file that you are concerned.

Snake

Let them authorities handle it brother. Are you in the city or county ? No septic system yuck ! Tell the Sheriff brother leave it at his doorstep that's what they are paid for . Hate it for you. Video it I think there is a program about neighbors from hell 😂 sorry I know it's not funny . Sometimes you got to laugh to keep from crying .

Ski

Call the cops everytime it happens and you hear him screaming/wailing etc. There is no telling when it could go sideways and it can happen quick. I am all for staying out of people's persona lives and I don't want to waste taxpayer money or officers time either but there is just something off. And I know me personally if something were to happen to him or her I would regret not making the call.

At worst nothing happens and they move

That's exactly what I'd do. Fungus grows where it's allowed to grow. Make them so uncomfortable that they flee like cockroaches under a light. Local governments are formed to manage the affairs of our communities, and they govern by setting guidelines and standards. Departments are created to enforce those standards. And most of us pay for it all via taxes. I say get your money's worth and let the county handle it for you. It is after all their responsibility.

Latest posts