Weather Outlook

UT-longbeard

Long term forecast continues to show temps like I have never seen. I can't believe I am getting excited about a cold front that still has highs in the 50's.... Sunday was a decent push of birds maybe Friday will bring some more..? Also usually get some birds on the full moon coming up.
Same here lol. I'm going to try it Friday, can't say I've ever packed a thermacell in December!!

Dodge Man

Long term forecast continues to show temps like I have never seen. I can't believe I am getting excited about a cold front that still has highs in the 50's.... Sunday was a decent push of birds maybe Friday will bring some more..? Also usually get some birds on the full moon coming up.
From my past experiences over the past 4-5 years a cold front dose nothing anymore. Not unless they get good ground coverage of Snow north of us. I think people always thought ducks moved with a cold front. But it was usually related to a large snow North of us that would cover the ducks food and freeze the water. But so far this year they have not had a good snow north of us.

Last edited:

WilcoKen

From my pat experiences over the past 4-5 years a cold front dose nothing anymore. Not unless they get good ground coverage of Snow north of us. I think people always thought ducks moved with a cold front. But it was usually related to a large snow North of us that would cover the ducks food and freeze the water. But so far this year they have not had a good snow north of us.
I agree.

Bgoodman30

From my past experiences over the past 4-5 years a cold front dose nothing anymore. Not unless they get good ground coverage of Snow north of us. I think people always thought ducks moved with a cold front. But it was usually related to a large snow North of us that would cover the ducks food and freeze the water. But so far this year they have not had a good snow north of us.
I would agree the days of shooting big flights riding in on a northwest wind at least in our area may be over... I think it depends a cold air front does nothing but a good precipitation front will move birds even if its just from one area to another or at least have birds looking for new water. We had a cold front last February that certainly moved birds in and out.. I remember we had some birds move in last year on a warm day like today couple days before a front. I think most ducks are on a calendar with lack of weather now days.

Dodge Man

Not Top priority but looks like a large Tornado hit Big Lake Ref, SEMO and then Reelfoot lake area.
763C339D-1477-49D3-9C41-CD75EEB8DB89.jpeg

Attachments

• 34CA7044-93D1-4446-8991-63C06FF41709.jpeg
    34CA7044-93D1-4446-8991-63C06FF41709.jpeg
    453.6 KB · Views: 44

Dodge Man

Not Top priority but looks like a large Tornado hit Big Lake Ref, SEMO and then Reelfoot lake area. View attachment 122368
I have already heard of some lake homes with major damage at Reelfoot. I know a lot of the guides in SEMO have thin wall metal buildings for hunting lodges. I hope everyone is ok. I know all of those lodges would be full on a Friday night. 🙁

GUNNERX2

I was sent a link to the Jackson newspaper saying that 2 hunters from FL were killed and a third from the same group is missing. They were in Tiptonville.

Dodge Man

I was sent a link to the Jackson newspaper saying that 2 hunters from FL were killed and a third from the same group is missing. They were in Tiptonville.
The 3rd guy drove to Dyersburg that night and made it to a storm shelter after surviving the tornado. He was disoriented and end up leaving. They are not sure where he ended up.

Bgoodman30

Really sad and terrible storm. I watched the wild lightning storm from the big tornado cell as it crossed the MS river, helped neighbors into the shelters and got word it was passing to the north of us.... Prayers to all those suffering from this tragedy.

Latest posts