Weather Clowns Strike Again

Spurhunter

I've heard the only jobs where you can lie for a living is being a politician or a weatherman. Wind was supposed to be CALM at daylight yesterday and increasing to only 5 or 6, so I took a vacation day. As usual, they were way off. But I made the best of it. I figured out the best way for me to snipe the open water crappie was to put out my drift sock, let the wind push me, and only scan in front of the boat from the 11 o'clock position to the 1 o'clock position. I would pitch on the big fish and hope they were aggressive. That seemed to work better than fighting the wind. Adjust, adapt and overcome. Ended up with a dozen.

20230724_153227.jpg

Spurhunter

Sometimes the weather will change on a dime. And I've noticed it tends to be more windy at the lake than further inland.
I drove across Sardis Dam the other day immediately after looking at my weather apps. They said NW wind at 1 MPH. The lake was almost white capping. Anyone that's fished Sardis for years will tell you the weather 🤡s are always off. Some of the old timers say look at the forecast and double it. Some say look at the forecast and add 5 MPH. One or the other is true 99% of the time. 😅

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I drove across Sardis Dam the other day immediately after looking at my weather apps. They said NW wind at 1 MPH. The lake was almost white capping. Anyone that's fished Sardis for years will tell you the weather 🤡s are always off. Some of the old timers say look at the forecast and double it. Some say look at the forecast and add 5 MPH. One or the other is true 99% of the time. 😅
Double is my rule of thumb I go by.
There are only a couple bodies of water that I fish where it matters though.
Other than anything with East in it, that will keep me home faster than anything.

Spurhunter

Other than anything with East in it, that will keep me home faster than anything.
I know all about east winds, but the way we fish with livescope now, it's more of a reaction bite than anything. If you make a perfect pitch and present the bait correctly they will eat it more often than not. Of course I prefer a west wind, but I don't think there's a ton of difference with reaction bites.

redblood

Double is my rule of thumb I go by.
There are only a couple bodies of water that I fish where it matters though.
My favorite stretch is shielded by undeveloped hills and ridges on 3 sides. Only opens to main lake to the south- of course we always have a south wind

Latest posts