Cold weather crappie….

redblood

This is virgin territory to me. Went last week and found a ton of fish. Got there late -9am or so and the 1st hour was in fire. Caught our limit pretty easily. Found a bunch more on way out. Tuesday is looking cold and perfectly still. But cold. Low around 25, high about 50. I plan to be on the water at 8 and i dont think i will need long. Should be about 30 when i take the water. Anyone ever have luck at temps that low? Any issue with reels freezing? Motor is 4 stroke so im not worried about the motor starting. Spots are very close to boat ramp. I have never fished below freezing in my life. The fish will be there i am confident

WTM

fish dont care about air temps only how cold it makes the water. lake temps her is right at 50 deg, still feeding good at those temps. even in high 30's and low 40's theyll still bite but not as often and youll need to bump their noses with baits.

i spray eyelets and line with reel conditioner to keep them from freezing up.

Oldschool

Only problem fishing out of a boat when it's below freezing is the ramp freezing over. Good thing about backing in on ice is your vehicle will stop when the tires hit the water. Been there to many times. Like Tn Joe said dip off in water clears the ice out of eyelets.
Does not get to cold to catch fish.

Urban_Hunter

I went to priest today. Was feeling pretty confident based on last few trips, even though they were weeks ago. Didn't get a bite. Checked standing timber in 10'-70' feet of water. Checked rock piles in 10-30' fow. Couldn't find them. Not the typical "couldn't get them to bite" or all yellow bass… couldn't find them. Watched some other guys also not catch anything. Extremely defeated today. Saw on FB some guys the last few days been killing them. I just couldn't find them. Feel like I'm back to square 1

Tn Joe

Only problem fishing out of a boat when it's below freezing is the ramp freezing over. Good thing about backing in on ice is your vehicle will stop when the tires hit the water.
It sure helps if everyone using the ramp takes a extra minute after launching the boat to pull up just enough to get to trailer out of the water and let it drain off some before pulling on up the ramp

redblood

It sure helps if everyone using the ramp takes a extra minute after launching the boat to pull up just enough to get to trailer out of the water and let it drain off some before pulling on up the ramp
Should be a learning experience. Looking forward to it. Just curious if i can get em
To nibble

redblood

I put some bodock bushes out in 2010, I had'em waypointed on my old unit but forgot to pull the cards when I sold the boat🤷🏻 Since our dux hunting sucks I'm gonna go look for them with my new garmin.
I have put a ton out, but that was this summer. Now that draw down has occurred, they are too shallow

Last edited:

megalomaniac

Back when I used to only crappie fish on Ross Barnett, I absolutely wore out the crappie in below freezing air temps. Like TnJoe said, just have to keep dipping the rod eye in the water to thaw it out. The last time my wife ever fished with me was a 25 degree morning. After an hour and 15 big slabs in the boat, she informed me she was too cold and couldn't stay out any longer. It was HARD to leave them biting.

Latest posts