#2 takes one for the team

Gravey

Hunted my son-in-law's family farm for the first time ever this weekend. Yesterday thought I was gonna be done about 6:30 but long story short a neighbor slipped in and got between me and the birds with a full strut decoy and killed 1 of the 2 longbeards as I watched it happen. He was very apologetic but it gave me an opportunity to do a lot of walking learning the lay of the land. Got on another bird that didn't work out and had 2 jakes in my face two different times and let them walk. Went back this morning and birds started gobbling at the top of the hill so I took off. They flew down and there were 3 longbeards and 1 hen. They were several hundred yards in a cattle pasture so thinking they were heading to the woods I circled around and got in position. I could hear him drumming and finally saw him but were moving along the tree line and not into the woods. They got to 61 yards so I watched them walk off. Thought I knew where they might go so hauled butt back toward the lower fields but they beat me there. After some cat and mouse I lost them so set up where I was yesterday. Had been sitting there 10-15 minutes when I saw a longbeard crossing the top of the field into a small wooded patch. I made one call and then shut up. He popped out the right side then started my way stopping every few feet looking for the "hen" and never gobbled. Once he hit my opening I squeezed the trigger snd season was over. Rangefinder had him at 17 yards. Had a great season. Hunted 4 days and saw 3 birds killed (my 2 and 1 for brother-in-law).

21 lbs
10" beard
3/4" & 7/8" spurs
IMG_6434.jpegIMG_6436.jpegIMG_6446.jpeg

Latest posts