Well once again

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
My boat got absolutely soaked again yesterday.
Made it off the water but the trip home was terrible.
It took on so much water I could literally tell a difference while pulling it home.
Today will be another clean out / dry out day.

Gonna start leaving my cover in the truck just in case.

Good thing is I gotta clean 48 bream today. 😂

Spurhunter

It took on so much water I could literally tell a difference while pulling it home.

It's a shame the folks that make big money to forecast the weather can't even get close. They can tell us the temperature of the earth 5000 years ago, but can't tell you if it's going to rain tomorrow. Politicians and weathermen. The only people that get paid to lie. I despise them both.

DaveTN

It's a shame the folks that make big money to forecast the weather can't even get close. They can tell us the temperature of the earth 5000 years ago, but can't tell you if it's going to rain tomorrow. Politicians and weathermen. The only people that get paid to lie. I despise them both.
My phone was blowing up with warnings, and it was all over the TV. Radar showed it pretty clearly. I think this may have been a case of operator error. 🤣 🤣

scn

It is a bigger problem that the general public doesn't understand what the forecasts actually mean. Our NWS guy on here has tried to explain a couple of time, but, it hits deaf ears.

Spurhunter

It is a bigger problem that the general public doesn't understand what the forecasts actually mean. Our NWS guy on here has tried to explain a couple of time, but, it hits deaf ears.
I'm not even talking about forecasts. I'm talking about real time. But you are right about understanding. When all the weather apps say the wind is blowing 1mph and the lake is white capping, I don't understand. I would assume 1mph means 1mph, not 12. But apparently not.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
My phone was blowing up with warnings, and it was all over the TV. Radar showed it pretty clearly. I think this may have been a case of operator error. 🤣 🤣
We never got a warning and were watching the radar.
Leaving the first spot headed to the second and there was weather in the area but radar showed it splitting and the second spot was in the clear.

20 minutes later it all changed and a pop up severe thunderstorm happened.

Tornado hit 30 minutes to our west and a severe thunderstorm rolled through.
Nobody can predict the pop ups this time of the year.
Just glad it didn't happen 30 minutes later or we would've been on the water.

scn

I'm not even talking about forecasts. I'm talking about real time. But you are right about understanding. When all the weather apps say the wind is blowing 1mph and the lake is white capping, I don't understand. I would assume 1mph means 1mph, not 12. But apparently not.
I agree on that, but suspect it is a commercial app issue rather than a NWS problem. They normally will give a range for the winds and if they do an hourly forecast, it, IMO, is just a best guess from their modeling.

RobbyW

Smart move taking the cover will ensure it never rains again. Putting on rain gear or take the jeep top with you because it's supposed to rain will guarantee it won't rain

scn

We never got a warning and were watching the radar.
Leaving the first spot headed to the second and there was weather in the area but radar showed it splitting and the second spot was in the clear.

20 minutes later it all changed and a pop up severe thunderstorm happened.

Tornado hit 30 minutes to our west and a severe thunderstorm rolled through.
Nobody can predict the pop ups this time of the year.
Just glad it didn't happen 30 minutes later or we would've been on the water.
Our TV weather folks sort of missed this one as well. They talked on Friday night about some rain Saturday morning, but said little or nothing about any severe weather. We had some of the worst thunderstorms yesterday morning that we have had in a while. It was ROUGH around here.

Still, if you plotted their correct daily forecasts through the year, mine around here would be above 90% correct. It is pretty rare for something to sneak in like the ones yesterday morning.

Spurhunter

I agree on that, but suspect it is a commercial app issue rather than a NWS problem. They normally will give a range for the winds and if they do an hourly forecast, it, IMO, is just a best guess from their modeling.
NWS is my go to because they are slightly more accurate than the apps. Slightly.

scn

NWS is my go to because they are slightly more accurate than the apps. Slightly.
I have really good luck around here with the Weather Channel app. I have been told that basically they are just regurgitating NWS modeling. I get aggravated sometimes trying to work in some grass cutting between the grass drying out in the morning and when they say the afternoon rain is coming. But, over the course of the summer, they bat a pretty good percentage even with that.

7mm08

Now don't hurt BamaProud's feelings.
Agree 1000%

scn

Consider yourself very lucky. I need you to move to Sardis Lake and bring that 90% with you! 😅
I suspect you are dealing with the same thing I deal with down on the coast. Their modeling/forecast reflects the nearest inland town. While their wind forecast might be right for example at Port St. Joe, it is magnified several times over for St. Joe Bay. When it comes from a direction that isn't in the lee, it can really kick up in a hurry.

WTM

IMG_1433.jpeg
still beats working, my day so far

Latest posts