Cold weather crappie….

Wooden Arrow

Even caught a few dozen crappie snaggers there.
used to know the warden down there until he retired. when water was really low, he'd catch folks snagging largemouth in the curl where Nina creek mixed with the river. Wayne was his first name. snaggers aint hard to spot. he saw my brother and i so often that he quit asking to see our licenses.

Biggun4214

used to know the warden down there until he retired. when water was really low, he'd catch folks snagging largemouth in the curl where Nina creek mixed with the river. Wayne was his first name. snaggers aint hard to spot. he saw my brother and i so often that he quit asking to see our licenses.
I've heard lots of stories about him.
A lot of the time he would lie in the bushes and watch them through binoculars before he would show up.
At least once he had plain clothes officers fishing and came in and checked licenses. After he left some of the fishermen he checked thought the coast was clear and started snagging. They were surprised when the plain clothes officers identified theirselves.

Last edited:

Wooden Arrow

he was always plain clothes and carrying a rod when we saw him. if he'd actually cast every now and then, his disguise would have worked better...:rolleyes:

Biggun4214

Weather like we're in right is good crappie catching time on Douglas. I've saw fishermen out in -5 weather. I watched 2 guys a few years ago fishing a hole in the ice around a bridge pylon, the lake was froze over. They would cast out and reel back to the hole. The float usually followed the fly after the fly hit the water and begin to sink.

Wooden Arrow

someone mentioned "slowing down" for crappie in cold weather. i fish (very) tiny flies under tiny floats, and don't move them at all. best if there is a bit of "crappie chop" on the water. if the float leans over a bit, many times that's all you'll see. set it or forget it...

Latest posts