Odd crappie trip….

redblood

Went crappie fishing this morning. Lake is full again and all my brush piles were loaded with crappie. And man they were hungry. Probably caught 40. The only issue is that almost all were short. Way short. Probably caught more short fish today than i did all last yr. Best fish was a 14" male. Just cant figure out where the big fish were. Very odd.

Could all the big fish be spawning? I apparently hit the nursery!

Attachments

• IMG_9492.jpeg
    IMG_9492.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9639.jpeg
    IMG_9639.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 17

Harold Money jr

How deep is your brush?
The reason I ask is, the adolescent males will come up before the even the adult males and especially females.
The bigger ones might be deeper.

redblood

How deep is your brush?
The reason I ask is, the adolescent males will come up before the even the adult males and especially females.
The bigger ones might be deeper.
Most was pretty shallow. In fact, the pile that had most of the small fish was 12 ft, shalllow for a deep lake. Thank you. You may be on to something. I will definitely be back in 2 weeks and try again

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
Most was pretty shallow. In fact, the pile that had most of the small fish was 12 ft, shalllow for a deep lake. Thank you. You may be on to something. I will definitely be back in 2 weeks and try again
The males have been up in priest for a month now and 2 weeks ago they were loaded with eggs. At least all the black crappie have been. Ive only caught white crappie in a few of the 15ft brush piles. I havent been in a couple of weeks.

redblood

The males have been up in priest for a month now and 2 weeks ago they were loaded with eggs. At least all the black crappie have been. Ive only caught white crappie in a few of the 15ft brush piles. I havent been in a couple of weeks.
This was Normandy lake and 98 percent of the catch are blacknose crappie. Oddly, on the state site says that all population growth in the lake comes from stocking. Does that mean that they dont spawn?

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
This was Normandy lake and 98 percent of the catch are blacknose crappie. Oddly, on the state site says that all population growth in the lake comes from stocking. Does that mean that they dont spawn?
Blacknose are a hybrid also known as a magnolia crappie in some areas and supposedly they DONT spawn.
Center Hill used to also have a nice population of blacknose. I just dont hear many people talking about fishing for crappie up there.

mike243

Never heard that theory before, originally from Arkansas, TWRA has stocked lakes with them for years, they spawn just like all the others, they are easier to track was 1 reason they decided to stock them.

WTM

could be either. call the hatchery and they can tell you. i do know without stocking they said that normandy and tims cant support a crappie population.

mike243

I didn't disagree with you, 2 other statements were not correct from what I read on the net. I wouldn't think twra would put a crossbreed into a lake when the hopes are to increase the population instead of a put/take form like trout in some places

redblood

Blacknose are a hybrid also known as a magnolia crappie in some areas and supposedly they DONT spawn.
Center Hill used to also have a nice population of blacknose. I just dont hear many people talking about fishing for crappie up there.
we kept one female that had eggs. all other females were released. i didnt realize it was a female or i would have released her. i will post the link

mike243

That link tells how and why magnolia were made. 8000psi on the eggs make them grow up sterile. Not sure how they figured out how to do that but needs=results sometimes

redblood

every single crappie i have caught in my life except for a handful i caught out of streams were blacknose. teh stream crappie were whites and they were 40 miles from the nearest lake....i guess they washed out of someones pond

mike243

Over here on the east side we catch all 3, twra stocked them in Norris as a way to track them, there are no wood stumps left in the lake and it's rare these days for the water to ever get into much wood, ledges ect make up the habitat and probably lowers the numbers. piles of bait fish so really not sure why most of the fish population is lower than I would think should be here. Rockfish can't be doing that much damage and walleye either.

Latest posts