Weakley County CWD Positive.

Mb423

A couple scrub bucks and 3-4 does will feed most any family. Two buck tags is perfect. Explain exactly what your gonna do with all those spike and 4pt racks? Make toilet paper holders?
Depending on family size and meat consumption, 6 deer that are not CWD positive may get then through the year.

Nearly 5x deer have been harvested in muzzle loader and rifle to date then archery alone in the state of TN. A bonus buck tag helps incentivize people to kill more deer which provides more results, especially in the CWD and surrounding units.

COVID should have shown you that you can't have enough toilet paper, so maybe I'll get an extra TP hanger who knows.

ronnycl

Buck killed mid november tested positive and appeared healthy with no concerns looking at deer. Sick about throwing out a deer I had processed and will loose $45.00 with couponfrom twra. I just hate the point of wasting an animal.

SEC

Depending on family size and meat consumption, 6 deer that are not CWD positive may get then through the year.

Nearly 5x deer have been harvested in muzzle loader and rifle to date then archery alone in the state of TN. A bonus buck tag helps incentivize people to kill more deer which provides more results, especially in the CWD and surrounding units.

COVID should have shown you that you can't have enough toilet paper, so maybe I'll get an extra TP hanger who knows.
CWD is here. It's here to stay. It's probably most everywhere some states choose not to look for it. What in the Hell is killing more gonna help? Experts say Cwd is 100% fatal. Life's 100% fatal. In a state with as long a deer season as Tn has, the 30/06 or a Buick is much more likely to kill them before there 3rd birthday than CWD.

Mb423

CWD is here. It's here to stay. It's probably most everywhere some states choose not to look for it. What in the Hell is killing more gonna help? Experts say Cwd is 100% fatal. Life's 100% fatal. In a state with as long a deer season as Tn has, the 30/06 or a Buick is much more likely to kill them before there 3rd birthday than CWD.
I sure am sorry you don't agree with the fine wildlife professionals who put their reccomendations in play to benefit (in their opinion) current and future sportsman in our state. Maybe voice your opinion to them to get the answers you are seeking and let them know how they have it wrong instead of some arrogant member who trusts their judgment?

SEC

I sure am sorry you don't agree with the fine wildlife professionals who put their reccomendations in play to benefit (in their opinion) current and future sportsman in our state. Maybe voice your opinion to them to get the answers you are seeking and let them know how they have it wrong instead of some arrogant member who trusts their judgment?
You would be correct in saying I don't agree with the handling of CWD in TN. That much we can agree on. All I'm saying is it's here and it's here to stay. Transportation rules will have to help slow the spread. Other than that what's thinning em out gonna do. Hasn't Wisconsin already tried that and it didn't work?

timberjack86

Your first mistake is trusting the government to manage wildlife. I can't deny they have done alot of good for wildlife but one only needs to look to other states to see no matter what we do it's here to stay and extermination efforts will not help eradicate cwd.

Mb423

You would be correct in saying I don't agree with the handling of CWD in TN. That much we can agree on. All I'm saying is it's here and it's here to stay. Transportation rules will have to help slow the spread. Other than that what's thinning em out gonna do. Hasn't Wisconsin already tried that and it didn't work?
Well Wisconsin didn't exactly thin their heard. Harvest numbers have declined over the past 2 decades while CWD has risen. Check out the stats for yourself, as harvest numbers decrease, CWD positive cases have risen. Seems to me like TN is trying to get a jump on what they think is best assuming they think Wisconsin didn't do a great job.

Mb423

Your first mistake is trusting the government to manage wildlife. I can't deny they have done alot of good for wildlife but one only needs to look to other states to see no matter what we do it's here to stay and extermination efforts will not help eradicate cwd.
Regardless of what any state does, people will not be happy and think there is a better way. I guess we can check back with Norway in 20 years and see which government entity did the best.

SEC

Well Wisconsin didn't exactly thin their heard. Harvest numbers have declined over the past 2 decades while CWD has risen. Check out the stats for yourself, as harvest numbers decrease, CWD positive cases have risen. Seems to me like TN is trying to get a jump on what they think is best assuming they think Wisconsin didn't do a great job.
Wisconsin attempted to eliminate as many deer as possible in a 40 mile circle to the tune of 12 million dollars in 2002. You have no idea what your talking about. I'm done with this conversation. Enjoy the rest of your deer season and I'll try and do the same.

tnanh

His post was dead on. How many posts do you have?? A lot of Tn. Hunters agree with what he said. TWRA did a great job of building the deer and turkey populations but their management of those populations is sometimes questionable at best.

fairchaser

Armchair quarterbacking will not solve the CWD problem. No one claimed that killing more deer would be the magic bullet cure. Let's ask those in East TN if they care if we here in West TN do nothing to slow the spread? In spite of ALL the efforts to kill more deer in the CWD zone, fewer deer are being killed due to lower hunter numbers. Yes, it will spread anyway, time has proven that out. But, if we can slow it down enough so that East TN gets another few seasons, would be it be worth it? Let's quit beating on the state for their strategy to do something rather than nothing. Enough is enough.

Mb423

Wisconsin attempted to eliminate as many deer as possible in a 40 mile circle to the tune of 12 million dollars in 2002. You have no idea what your talking about. I'm done with this conversation. Enjoy the rest of your deer season and I'll try and do the same.
You as well, SEC.

Ide reccomend listening to a couple of podcast on your way t the stand next time to help provide some information on CWD if you have not yet done so.

The meateater episode 70.
Wired to hunt episode 196.

happy hunting.

timberjack86

Armchair quarterbacking will not solve the CWD problem. No one claimed that killing more deer would be the magic bullet cure. Let's ask those in East TN if they care if we here in West TN do nothing to slow the spread? In spite of ALL the efforts to kill more deer in the CWD zone, fewer deer are being killed due to lower hunter numbers. Yes, it will spread anyway, time has proven that out. But, if we can slow it down enough so that East TN gets another few seasons, would be it be worth it? Let's quit beating on the state for their strategy to do something rather than nothing. Enough is enough.
East Tennessean here, it's coming. When it gets here I'm going to keep Hunting for meat until the state decides to eradicate the herd. Be best if the state does nothing imo. There already encouraging the spread offering extra deer and a free license to East Tennesseans willing to travel for more venison.

fairchaser

East Tennessean here, it's coming. When it gets here I'm going to keep Hunting for meat until the state decides to eradicate the herd. Be best if the state does nothing imo. There already encouraging the spread offering extra deer and a free license to East Tennesseans willing to travel for more venison.
West TN has plenty of deer without traveling East. In Fayette county, the heart of CWD, there are 36 deer per square mile. That seems to be the good news so far is it hasn't really affected populations only the age structure. Your right that it probably won't jump to humans like mad cow, and you'd be safe consuming it.

timberjack86

I think you misunderstood my post. East Tennesseans are traveling to west TN for the incentives. I've heard but can't confirm of several deer being brought east from cwd counties whole and not deboned. If that is the case cwd could be here very soon. Now who didn't see that coming?

backyardtndeer

I think you misunderstood my post. East Tennesseans are traveling to west TN for the incentives. I've heard but can't confirm of several deer being brought east from cwd counties whole and not deboned. If that is the case cwd could be here very soon. Now who didn't see that coming?
This is likely how it is being spread. Hate to think others would not follow the rules, but I know of several that have little regard for rules or laws. Further, a concern of mine is the half arse butchers that are taking deer from buddies and dumping the carcasses. I would go out on a limb and say some of those people are taking deer whole from cwd areas.

I am still waiting on my results for my deer. Kind of a pain, the trouble going through washing stuff separately and all the precautionary cleaning.

PickettSFHunter

Most of the hunting camps I've been around out of state don't follow the transport rules. They act like I'm crazy going to all the trouble to do it legal. Even The Hunting Public showed themselves violating the CWD transport rules. Its widespread to transport bones and brain because people don't want to go to the trouble.

fairchaser

I think it's human nature to try and fix problems. Yet, often we can't do very much and in the long run diseases run their courses. No one knows if the cure is just around the next corner so we try as we might to slow things until they can be stopped. How long will it take for the entire population of deer to get this disease? What if there is a documented transfer to humans? The answers remain unknown. So, we continue to do what we can, while we can. I have no problem with that.

Latest posts